2020 Forester 2.0i CVT can it tow?

Default 2020 Forester 2.0i CVT can it tow?

Checked out the new Forester 2 liter and it's an amazing car with all the safety gadgets and tech you can think of.

It's only 115kw and 196nm and im worried it's a bit pap to tow a fully loaded bundu basher trailer 750kg licenced with trailer tent, I think it might even be a bit heavier than 750kg with water tank filled ect.

Anyone who tows with the new spec Forester?
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Default Re: 2020 Forester 2.0i CVT can it tow?

2.5 Forester coming to SA towards the end of the year. Same towing rating but mid 130s kw. Canít remember the exact number

Do you think it will cost a lot more than the current 2liter one?

Wife probably getting one this week but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the 2.5

Keeping the Pajero so might not be such a problem to tow as we have one vehicle that can do it, but would like it to atleast be able to tow as well.
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT

I've had one of the original manual 2.0GX Foresters 2001. This car started off with 96kW and 182Nm engine output.

With each new iteration they have marginally improved both these numbers, and I'm quite impressed they got essentially the same engine to 115kW.

These engines however develop their max torque at 4000 rpm, so not exactly a Honda V-Tec windup engine, but cruising in top has its limitations. Selecting speed control the car could not get up the first long N4 Donkerhoek hill without releasing the control, expecting you to swop gears and try again. It unlatches when the speed drops more than 5km/h below that set - 120, in this case. You had to ride the A/C switch at times.

In your case, the CVT should make it a lot more drivable.

However, we then bought one of the first 2.5X Foresters. At the time, the 2.5l engine put out around what the 2l puts out now. The first outing was one Sunday afternoon to see if it would hold speed up those hills. And it did, yay!

So a lot more torque, but from a driver's car viewpoint, boring. The engine was lazy - much heavier flywheel - and it had none of the zip of the 2l.

Maybe only the noise was less, but coming up the hill leading to my house, late night, USING the revs, was just not the same, emotionally.

So, 2l with CVT technically probably OK. But for an offroad trailer, I would wait for the 2.5l.

2l should be fine with a luggage trailer, though.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/02/10 at 12:03 PM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by whatyamacallit View Post
    Do you think it will cost a lot more than the current 2liter one?

Wife probably getting one this week but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the 2.5

Keeping the Pajero so might not be such a problem to tow as we have one vehicle that can do it, but would like it to atleast be able to tow as well.
    Dealer couldnít say. I am in the same boat. Buy now vs wait. I am still negotiating and will buy anyway if the deal is good

Ended up ordering mine. Will be doing a 4000km road trip with it end of the month

Just picked up my wife's new forester. So guess I will give towing feedback once we use it.

Funny enough we test drove a FJ, grand vitara and lastly the forester and wife picked the forester straight out without blinking. It is a pretty well equipped and smooth drive, its the top spec so has all the bells and whistles.
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT

How has your experience been with the forester so far. Im looking at getting one but not sure if the power is good enough for the size of the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Nukem View Post
    How has your experience been with the forester so far. Im looking at getting one but not sure if the power is good enough for the size of the vehicle?
    I have gotten used to it and it is actually a pleasure to drive. It not super quick on pull off but the CVT changes so quick that it speeds up quite quickly and for highway it cruises very easily. The CVT is not scared to rev the engine and if you put foot it will rev to 5000 very quickly, and i think they designed that 2 liter engine to rev. its a very good car and the safety tech that it comes with is amazing. Have not been able to test the towing but I have a feeling it wont struggle to much but will have to test it still.
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT

Iíve also gotten used to it and love the way it drives but I am generally a slow driver in town. On the highway it does rev quite a bit on hills but itís super smooth. If you have the radio on you hardly notice it