Defender Td5 clutch chirping noise

Default Defender Td5 clutch chirping noise

Howzit guys

About two weeks ago when driving out my driveway a chirping noise was coming from somewhere between the gearbox and the engine, I pushed the clutch in and stopped - the noise went away. I thought it was a bearing on one of the pulleys on it way out or the sound of a turbo failing. The noise occoured at 10 km/h so I ruled out turbo.

This noise has returned now intermitently at speeds under 60 km\h, but louder and more frequent. It goes away when I press the clutch pedal, and the tune changes when I accelerate. It disappears when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal.

Because the noise goes away when I press the clutch pedal I suspect it has something to do with the clutch.
    Has anybody experiences something similar? I'd like to troubleshoot other things before having the gearbox pulled.
    Gearbox, transfer box and diff oil changed 1k km ago so don't think its that.

There is no slipping clutch, no shudder and no noise when the pedal is pressed or released.

Currently on 237k. Unsure if clutch has been changed before.
    Last edited by miks.; 2020/02/05 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Defender Td5 clutch chirping noise

Release bearing on it's way. Sort it as soon as possible because you will find your clutch will have difficulty in releasing soon and gear changes will become difficult. If it goes in traffic you will be the cause of the jam and will require a tow in.
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2020/02/05 at 05:56 PM.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Release bearing on it's way. Sort it as soon as possible because you will find your clutch will have difficulty in releasing soon and gear changes will become difficult. If it goes in traffic you will be the cause of the jam and will require a tow in.
    Thanks, I'll start looking for a clutch kit.

Valeo seems to be what most guys use, what about other kits like LUK, Borg & Beck etc?

while you at it get a reinforced clutch fork
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

Will start collecting parts

Just to confirm diagnosis, will the release bearing make a noise once the clutch is engaged? This is the only time the chirping noise occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by miks. View Post
    Just to confirm diagnosis, will the release bearing make a noise once the clutch is engaged? This is the only time the chirping noise occurs.
    Yes
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Just fitted my LOF clutch kit today, solid flywheel not the duel mass one it is the TD5 SMF Power speck Bundle seems to be very quiet and working well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB82204E-74E8-473A-A690-F9491AED8E3E.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	557417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A22E201-B07A-4654-A2CE-96AB8995EDA7.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	557418  
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Just fitted my LOF clutch kit today, solid flywheel not the duel mass one it is the TD5 SMF Power speck Bundle seems to be very quiet and working well
    I've seen these guys online, seem to be the next 'thing' for Land Rovers. Found that kit on their website, it seems well priced since it included the flywheel.

Everything I've read about the TD5 clutch replacement says the flywheel should not be converted to a solid one as it can bugger the crank. If they are selling it I'm sure they have done their research though
    Last edited by miks.; 2020/02/07 at 10:24 PM. Reason: More info

I've seen these guys online, seem to be the next 'thing' for Land Rovers. Found that kit on their website, it seems well priced since it included the flywheel.

Everything I've read about the TD5 clutch replacement says the flywheel should not be converted to a solid one as it can bugger the crank. If they are selling it I'm sure they have done their research though
    I read up on it and did not find anything about buggering up the crank, I found that Others tried diffrant solid mass from other company’s and they were nosy and had vibration, and all good stuff about there guys, and they are selling more solid then duel mass
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Yes. It only engages when you use the clutch. You should do the clutch plate while you are at it and check the condition of the pressure plate.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Yes. It only engages when you use the clutch. You should do the clutch plate while you are at it and check the condition of the pressure plate.
    Having just been through a failed release bearing and the associated nausea on my Disco, I can only agree with this.
    Replace everything that is replaceable inside the bellhousing.
    Flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate, rear main seal, spigot bush, the plastic liner in the release fork, the plastic clip on the release bearing and the input seal of the box.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

One of my old D2 TD5s had the same symptom for years about 5 iirc before the clutch started slipping and obviously had to be changed. The flywheel was still fine.

The release bearing is unlikely to fail catastrophically, just dont sit for long periods with the clutch pushed in.