Kasanka & Bangweulu Wetlands - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kasanka & Bangweulu Wetlands

Thanks zoneout and TRON.
    I just thought they were getting on in years (like myself) and I expected them to move some or other time. The wife told me it took them years to get the farm and to develop it the way they did. I think it is one of the undiscovered jewels and I just hope the manager can keep it this way. No predators as far as I know and you can walk for hours in unspoiled nature and climb the granite domes to get beautiful views. My wife got lost there when she waited for us to come back for from a longer walk but fortunately all ended well when she heard our voices when we returned.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    They are originally from RSA and still own the place but now live in Lusaka. He used to be a geologist. Mutinondo has a manager on site. It is still a favorite of many birders and visitors from Lusaka.

Hi Tron,

Glad to have you back to the forum and hope you had a fantastic EPIC Zambian trip. Most of us would appreciate to know how did it go!

AP

When we visited Mutinodo in 2015 the owners were Mike and Lari Merrett, for the last 20 years and they had developed it very lovingly. They were unfortunately away on a break when we were there. Apparently they are exceptionally friendly. There is still really great hiking on their large property with lovely streams, little waterfalls and huge granite inselbergs. The birding in the miombo woodland is very good and there are no dangerous animals so one can explore freely. The campsite is well maintained with hot showers and genuinely odorless long drop latrines.

The couple is getting on a bit in years and apparently were looking for a buyer. I don't think it has been sold yet. That whole area, including the Lavushi Manda National Park across the Great North Road, has tremendous problems with large-scale poaching for the pot. The Merrett's have kept annual diaries around their pub area, where all their travails and their attempts with the authorities to eliminate the poaching were recorded.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

We were in Sept last year in Kasanka, lots of Sitatunga there, and we saw also few elephants. It was too early for the bats. Did also a canoe trip early morning for bird viewing. Nice campsite and we enjoyed the stay there. I would easily spend 5 days there

Quite a long walk to see the Shoebill but we saw thousands black letswe on the walk, which we could not with game drives. This you could do in one day, then move on. Not much else to see Those berms the fisherman built to catch fish is incredible!
    Johan Kriel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2