3.0 D4D Overlanding

Default 3.0 D4D Overlanding

So Iíve really been considering selling my Fortuner. I have 2 gripes; space and power. Or actually the lack of both.

With my platkarre I use to go down the ďwarm maakĒ avenue but I would like to think that Iíve since grown up. Iím also very hesitant to chip or map or whatever the Fortuner. That whole thought pattern that Toyota gave it so much power for a reason, million rands of development, etc, etc.

But before I make any drastic decision, which my budget might regret, I like to hear from you guys.

Fortuner or Hilux, 3.0 D4D. When you traveling or off-roading or overlanding. What has your experience been of your standard (engine-wise) vehicle? Do you think itís sufficient?

Iíve got so many ideas and have considered everything from Hilux V6s to Prados. The Fortuner is currently a daily driver so if I do get a V6 it will mean that Iíll have to get a second car - the daily commute will just be too heavy on the pocket.

The alternative is to just keep the Fortuner and spend the money which Iíve been hesitant to do thus far. Or perhaps het a D4D Hilux instead and then commute with that and spend the money there.

Please help to build my grey matter so I can make a more informed choice.

TIA

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Default Re: 3.0 D4D Overlanding

Hi Gallivanter,
    There variations on options are quite a number;
    Do you want more space only
    Do you want more power
    Do you want more comforts
    Do you want good fuel economy
    Do you want more luxury
    Do you want reliability/good maintenance cost
    And and and the list goes on...
    Unfortunately the with any selection thereís a sacrifice of another

If only space and power is the issue options are to remove the third row seats and do the few not very expensive mods for the power. Here you get the least cost involved. And the D4-D is a very reliable machine.
    A second option is to change for a like for like Hilux. You gain more space but still have the same power and could ďupgradeĒ this (my personal take is donít go too drastic as it could affect reliability ďmaybeĒ).

On the option of a complete change either the capital layout and/or running cost increases and could be substantial. Any of the V6ís, as you mentioned, will need a second vehicle AND that fuel consumption is EINAH!!!

An option is a trailer or a rooftop box...

Use the a quarter of the capital you may spend to travel more and make more memories 😊

Hope this helps even a little
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Angry Re: 3.0 D4D Overlanding

When do you feel that the standard 120 kW and 352 NM is insufficient?

I've never seen a D4d 3l struggle to keep up with traffic at legal speed limits. Even offroad they fair well even managing some impressive sand dunes.

Obviously newer engines outperforms the 20 year old design but that extra performance is going to cost you few hundred thousand rand.

I think you are trying to justify buying something new and exciting because you are bored with the Fortuner

Donít get me wrong...I like the Fortuner. I think itís a great allrounder. However I have often felt that some extra space would be great.

From a power perspective, overtaking could sometime become a laborious task. And Iím very sceptisch about the capabilities (power delivery wise) in the sand.

Iíve got a 4x4 Auto. Iíve got a decent set of All Terrain LT tyres on and OME suspension. Itís a very capable vehicle and has often surprised me. But it does feel sluggish at times.

Space wise in the Fortuner, the 3rd row seats are out, but the majority of the boot is taken up by a 50L National Luna when traveling. Like most SUVs, what remains is to go up - i.e. roof rack. The reason I havenít yet done this is due to being hesitant to spend money on a vehicle I might not keep. Last year I was starting to draw out drawer system ideas, but got to a point where I asked myself if Iím not spending the money and effort on the wrong vehicle - trying to make it something it will never be. And there the ideas and searches for alternatives started.

My goal is to be able to travel self sustainable, in which ever vehicle, for a period of 4/5 days. If I can get to that point I will be satisfied - for now anyway.

Yes, maybe there is a level of justification. But being a realist and analyzer has led me to still driving the same vehicle more than 10 months after this thought process started.

On a side note, the reason I havenít really looked at the new Fortuner is that even though there is slightly more power, Iím not sure whether the change is worth the money difference. I havenít driven one yet, so hard to make an educated decision, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Appreciating the input and feedback thus far. Definitely food for thought.

Even a change to the new Fortuner is going to need a minimum of R200k on a used one. Yes itís an awesome vehicle. Even though I have one I donít think it justifies the cost.
    If you spend even R50k on yours to do all of the maintenance things (remove/clear out all the gunk in the breathing system as an example) to get to a 100% efficient running vehicle and with some (probably a lot) further upgrades and tweaks thatíll give you a R150k saving. And itís a vehicle you know.
    If you can do a like-for-like on a Hilux then you get the packing space you want, though at the sacrifice of the seating position of the second row of seats

Hi

I canít agree more to the advice given above .
    Maybe you should go on a nice trip to fall in love with your fortuner all over again. Use and enjoy what you have and get out there .
    Im new to the ovelanding thing so if i may .
    Coming from a 2010 hilux 3.0 d4d 4x2 only chipped it at 200k km sold it at 350kkm with no problems at all. It was traded it for a 2012 4x4 d4d fortuner , i wated to go on adventures and see beautiful places with my family .
    The main issue with a hilux is :

The canopy = R30k before you start off
    You cant have stuff on the back and go shopping! This is something that you are taking for granted having a suv !
    The ride . I donít think its nearly as nice as fortuner and I do have a 2,4 gd6 as daily done 90k km from Nov 2018 to Dec 2019.
    Will you have more space ?
    Yes to carry more unnecessary gear and luxuries thats not needed. I did a lot of searching around on forums looking at drawer system and you do get some nice ones . I bargain hunted all my accessories and there for the price was the determining factor . I suggest you get a universal drawer for interim it really makes a huge difference when your setup is organized.

This is my fortuner and I love it . Sure i can do with a bit more space but do you really need to take all of that (nice to haves) with ?
    I did the Namakwa 4x4 eco trail and west coast ,ship wreck tour in Dec with my family and it was my first ever 4x4 and overlanding trip (solo) ! My fuel consumption was 7 km/ L combined
    5080km total in 17 days and nearly 89% head winds . I enjoyed and love my tuner and yes I will get it mapped just for that extra bid of power when over taking and hopefully better consumption.

But I will not trade it for a LC or Hilux! Wonít think twice trading it for a vx 200 .

Just one suggestion. Go buy one of those tin 5l gerry cans. That plastic can is going to make you speak in tongues.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Talking Re: 3.0 D4D Overlanding

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Just one suggestion. Go buy one of those tin 5l gerry cans. That plastic can is going to make you speak in tongues.

2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 S/W

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman0113 View Post
    Hi

Maybe you should go on a nice trip to fall in love with your fortuner all over again. Use and enjoy what you have and get out there .
    Coming from a 2010 hilux 3.0 d4d 4x2 only chipped it at 200k km sold it at 350kkm with no problems at all. It was traded it for a 2012 4x4 d4d fortuner , i wated to go on adventures and see beautiful places with my family .

You cant have stuff on the back and go shopping! This is something that you are taking for granted having a suv !
    The ride . I donít think its nearly as nice as fortuner and I do have a 2,4 gd6 as daily done 90k km from Nov 2018 to Dec 2019.
    Yes to carry more unnecessary gear and luxuries thats not needed. I did a lot of searching around on forums looking at drawer system and you do get some nice ones . I bargain hunted all my accessories and there for the price was the determining factor . I suggest you get a universal drawer for interim it really makes a huge difference when your setup is organized.

This is my fortuner and I love it . Sure i can do with a bit more space but do you really need to take all of that (nice to haves) with ?
    I did the Namakwa 4x4 eco trail and west coast ,ship wreck tour in Dec with my family and it was my first ever 4x4 and overlanding trip (solo) ! My fuel consumption was 7 km/ L combined
    5080km total in 17 days and nearly 89% head winds . I enjoyed and love my tuner and yes I will get it mapped just for that extra bid of power when over taking and hopefully better consumption.

But I will not trade it for a LC or Hilux! Wonít think twice trading it for a vx 200 .

Awesome pics. Sounds like an epic trip you had!
    Is Skeleton Coast next? 😊

Hi

Laffffff it. Gr8 looking "bokwa"

Default 3.0 D4D Overlanding

Thanks for the feedback and input Candyman.

This I totally agree with and can contest. I use to have a Ranger D/C a long time ago. And that was my biggest gripe with it. I didnít have a fancy canopy or tinted windows at the back, so I never really had anywhere to ďhideĒ anything. And that was one of the reasons why I went for the Fortuner 2.5 years ago instead of a bakkie.

Maybe youíre right about this. Maybe I need to go on a trip and get some more perspective.

Your solo trip sounds awesome! I definitely need one of those in my life.

I had a great drawer system idea in the works but then the layout didnít completely work out and everything I wanted didnít fit. I think thatís the point where I sort of gave up on the Fortuner.

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    If you can do a like-for-like on a Hilux then you get the packing space you want, though at the sacrifice of the seating position of the second row of seats
    As you mention, a like for like Hilux is a consideration but there are some sacrifices which would then need to be made.

Iím not too worried about rear seat space, as I hardly use mine at the moment. More packing and the odd dog transportation. The Fortunerís rear seats are currently mostly for packing on trips anyway.

It is a difficult situation.

Thanks for everyoneís input thus far. Appreciate the thoughts and sharing!
    Last edited by Gallivanter; 2020/02/06 at 10:18 PM.

Both my travel companions both drive d4d Auto's

Been to Malawi. Zambia. Bots. Kaokoland and never did they struggle in the sand,mud etc..
    The one even tows a offroad trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryskat View Post
    Both my travel companions both drive d4d Auto's

Been to Malawi. Zambia. Bots. Kaokoland and never did they struggle in the sand,mud etc..
    The one even tows a offroad trailer.
    Are their vehicles standard, from an engine/performance point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallivanter View Post
    Are their vehicles standard, from an engine/performance point of view?
    You have concerns regarding power of a 3.0D4d?
    Many of the older 2.5D4d's were and in use by rental companies who supply vehicles for trips to Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zim's, to name a few. These are more than capable of handling almost any terrain on offer and usually are loaded with accessories.

We used to tour as a family with a 300GD G wagon for many years (towing). It had 65Kw and 172Nm of torque to offer and we saw all of Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique, Zim, Lesotho, Swaziland and SA over many years of trips.

Sure we were not doing rally speeds but we never encountered sand too deep, hills too steep or mud too sticky.

A TD5 Defender produces less power than a standard 3.0D4d, yet it is one of the most iconic overland vehicles in history... Not to mention the old series LR's.

Also talking about everyday city traffic. Standard 3.0D4d's will outrun many little city runarounds.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    A TD5 Defender produces less power than a standard 3.0D4d, yet it is one of the most iconic overland vehicles in history... Not to mention the old series LR's.

This is true without any reasonable doubt. Defenders are one of the greatest overlanders ever, proven over and over.

I do think that their die HARD suspension and ample ground clearance play a big role.

But yes, you’ve made your point on power delivery vs potential offroad capability. Valid input.
    Last edited by Gallivanter; 2020/02/07 at 08:14 AM.

Stock standard.
    Only a suspension upgrade to carry the load better.

[QUOTE=Candyman0113;4320908]Hi

I am on my 3rd Fortuner, and still believe that they give the best value for money, in that they are perfect for town driving and fairly serious off-road work. The set-up in this Fortuner very closely resembles what I did with my second Fortuner and it works very well. What I did on my third, was just to fit a slide that fills the back of the Fortuner - no drawers - onto the slide you can place your fridge and any other boxes for storage eg ammo boxes. This means when you are back in the city you have a lot more space in the back. The slide is also a lot lighter than a drawer system - this is working well for me, and is a lot cheaper than drawers

Morning all. The Fortuner is an awesome vehicle, especially with the auto box. I have driven both my vehicles at a set GPS speed of 120kph, Fortuner is 4 speed auto and Hilux is 5 speed manual. At 120 both run at 2500rpm. Hilux all round 11l/100 and Fortuner 10.9l/100. I have travelled with and without my BushBaby off-road trailer. The only mod was on the Fortuner, I put in air helpers in the rear springs, the Explorer was a bit heavy!!!(sold) I've also had the v6 Fortuner which found fuel stations that were not even on the maps!!!!!!
    I've managed to slim down on all the crap that I normally carry! Space is obviously better with the Hilux, but you can do it in the Fortuner with ammo boxes and some planning.
    Watch for overloading of the roof rack.
    I have done a lot of sand and dune driving, both are great but the auto Fortuner just pips the Hilux. Very, very capable vehicles..
    Done the Arid Parks, Kgalagadi, Augrabies,Richtersveld, Namakwa, Tankwa. Southern Namibia to Windhoek. The only problem I had on both vehicles was the pollen filters clogging up with dust!!!! No fuel problems, no mechanical problems, no punctures. Just pure driving pleasure.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LMR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    Morning all. The Fortuner is an awesome vehicle, especially with the auto box. I have driven both my vehicles at a set GPS speed of 120kph, Fortuner is 4 speed auto and Hilux is 5 speed manual. At 120 both run at 2500rpm. Hilux all round 11l/100 and Fortuner 10.9l/100. I have travelled with and without my BushBaby off-road trailer. The only mod was on the Fortuner, I put in air helpers in the rear springs, the Explorer was a bit heavy!!!(sold) I've also had the v6 Fortuner which found fuel stations that were not even on the maps!!!!!!
    I've managed to slim down on all the crap that I normally carry! Space is obviously better with the Hilux, but you can do it in the Fortuner with ammo boxes and some planning.
    Watch for overloading of the roof rack.
    I have done a lot of sand and dune driving, both are great but the auto Fortuner just pips the Hilux. Very, very capable vehicles..
    Done the Arid Parks, Kgalagadi, Augrabies,Richtersveld, Namakwa, Tankwa. Southern Namibia to Windhoek. The only problem I had on both vehicles was the pollen filters clogging up with dust!!!! No fuel problems, no mechanical problems, no punctures. Just pure driving pleasure.

Thanks for the great input and mini review LMR!

Nice to hear the feedback from both vehicles on a side by side comparison and with the trailer for good measure.

When you're towing, are you just keeping the Fortuner in Drive gear?