Good news for rhino conservation

Default Good news for rhino conservation

https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-new...ive-in-malawi/

This is great news .

African Parks are doing a great job of rehabilitating our parks ,after years of neglect.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Good news for rhino conservation

Good news indeed but I really hope they learnt the lessons from the Chad relocation, 2 out of 6 survival rate is not great.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Hopefully the conditions here will be more favourable, since there is a well established local population.

I understand they are not sure what caused the 4 deaths in Chad, none of the tests provided any definite cause, other than poor nutrition/absorption?

Fingers crossed.

Considering African Park's approach to conservation (i.e. making sure local communities benefit from conservation and tourism) I have got high hopes for these Rhino. I'm going to look for them in Liwonde/Majete this December/January: very excited !

Edit: more info on the translocation here https://www.africanparks.org/campaig...-return-malawi
    Last edited by HerrRudiger; 2019/11/18 at 09:27 PM.

What company was responsible for the translocation?

And then:

https://www.news24.com/Africa/News/n...urges-20200224

At least 46 rhinos have been slaughtered in Botswana in 10 months, a government official said on Monday as the southern African wildlife haven reported a surge in poaching of the endangered species.
    The killings - slightly under 10% of Botswana's total rhino population - have occurred in the northern Moremi Game Reserve since April last year.
    "Poaching has risen at an alarming rate in this area," Moemi Batshabang, a deputy director with the government's wildlife department told AFP.
    "I can attest that 46 rhinos have been killed by highly organised poachers between April last year to date," he said.

Botswana is home to 500 rhinos, according to international conservation charity, Save the Rhino
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!