Switch from l/r to pajero

Default Switch from l/r to pajero

Hi guys - I just hope this is the right place for this post! After many years of over-thinking the pro's and con's I’m finally about to do a total rebuild of our awesomely poor access road at Toplodge in KZN. For the past 10 years I’ve used a 1988 L/R 110 V8 to provide transfers for guests who are not driving a capable off-road 4x4 vehicle.Once the road rebuild is complete it should be accessible to most soft off-roaders and SUV's, but I’ll probably still need to provide transfers on occasion when conditions are wet. For this purpose I’m planning on switching from the Landy to a second-hand 4-door Pajero, simply because of the Landy’s drinking habit. I’ve had various suggestions as to which of the Pajero models would be best suited, but would welcome any input from members who have had first-hand experience.
    Last edited by OldSalt; 2020/02/03 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: Switch from l/r to pajero

Quote Originally Posted by OldSalt View Post
    Hi guys - I just hope this is the right place for this post! After many years of over-thinking the pro's and con's Iím finally about to do a total rebuild of our awesomely poor access road at Toplodge in KZN. For the past 10 years Iíve used a 1988 L/R 110 V8 to provide transfers for guests who are not driving a capable off-road 4x4 vehicle.Once the road rebuild is complete, although Iíll probably still need to provide transfers on occasion, Iím planning on switching to a second-hand 4-door Pajero, simply because of the Landyís drinking habit. Iíve had various suggestions as to which of the Pajero models would be best suited, but would welcome any input from members who have had first-hand experience.

Hi,

I think the first question would be budget here? This will give an idea on Gen 2,3,4. Do you want something with a few creature comforts? This will help in choosing a GLX (less fancy stuff) or GLS (fancy stuff).

But having said that the petrol Pajero is probably not an option given your search for fuel "efficiency" although you can pick them up at very decent prices and they usually have lower mileage. So diesel it will be, so either the 2.8 TDi (gen 2) or the 3.2Did (gen3 mechanical fuel pump,4 common rail).

Just for fun I attached a video of a gen 2.5 Blister fender with a 3.2 common rail (gen4) engine swop from Aus. Looks epic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyx3I9aAFwA&t=61s

Also, buying a high mileage used car is always a risk so why not stick with the landy if reliable and not costing you?

Cheers