I did it, I removed my DPF - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

Quote Originally Posted by PREZO View Post
    You removed the cat....if the vehicle had a dpf and you removed it...the car will be stuck in limp mode..you will need to get the dpf coded off in the software...
    Only if the Fortuners software, and the dpf has sensor/s, has that level of complexity. Knowing Toyota I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t lol
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by PREZO View Post
    You removed the cat....if the vehicle had a dpf and you removed it...the car will be stuck in limp mode..you will need to get the dpf coded off in the software...
    If I remember correctly, the D4D in the Hilux and Fortuner had a diesel catalytic converter, not a DPF for the SA market. Early generation DPFs where not coded into the ECU, as they were passive filters without burn free cycles. Later DPFs, would communicate with the ECU which would initiate a burn free cycle once a certain pressure differential across the DPF is exceeded.
    Those first generation DPFs would rely on regular longer distance driving in order to burn off the accumulated particles or they would simply clog up. Removing those is easy and usually beneficial to the engine.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    On the DPF. Me thinks the Amarok (without the DPF!) has a CC. Will check when I have the opportunity.
    You are correct, the 2.0 TDi Amaroks for the SA market have catalytic converter, not a DPF. At least that was the case until 2016 or so, later models I wouldn't know.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

My diesel engine has a CAT / DOC, DPF and EGR and doesn't require topping up with Adblue (cat urea). There is a pressure tube between my DPF (closer to engine) and CAT after a slight restriction in the same box. This tube acts as a sensor to tell the ECU when a regen is required (reduced flow / more backpressure). The main problem with the DPF is the carbon particles emitted are much smaller and travel further and deeper into our lungs causing more damage than the larger particles, which the cilia can remove. On the topic of lungs, I wouldn't gut my own DPF as the palladium sits on a ceramic structure. Ceramic and lungs don't mix well.

In a worst case scenario, DPFs have prevented vehicles from starting, caught fire (thermal runaway) melting interior plastics and spitting flames out of the exhaust (Jaguars take a bow).
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    My diesel engine has a CAT / DOC, DPF and EGR and doesn't require topping up with Adblue (cat urea). There is a pressure tube between my DPF (closer to engine) and CAT after a slight restriction in the same box. This tube acts as a sensor to tell the ECU when a regen is required (reduced flow / more backpressure). The main problem with the DPF is the carbon particles emitted are much smaller and travel further and deeper into our lungs causing more damage than the larger particles, which the cilia can remove. On the topic of lungs, I wouldn't gut my own DPF as the palladium sits on a ceramic structure. Ceramic and lungs don't mix well.

In a worst case scenario, DPFs have prevented vehicles from starting, caught fire (thermal runaway) melting interior plastics and spitting flames out of the exhaust (Jaguars take a bow).
    I'm quite sure there is no palladium in the DPF. Your DPF is probably made of cordierite (type of ceramic) or silicon carbide or ceramic fiber.

The diesel oxidation catalyst, which would probably sit in front of the DPF would contain palladium, which acts as the catalytic element for the chemical reaction.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

CAT and DPF are fundamentally different. Most CAT's don't have sensors etc attached directly hence why you can simply delete without engine light issues. DPF's differ but also in terms of sensors, they will generally have some sensors that feedback to the ECU hence why in most cases you cannot simply remove them. A TDI can have both DPF and CAT as is the norm now, but generally will have at least a CAT as a bare minimum. CAT's are used across TDI and petrol vehicles and serve the same purpose across both. The newer stuff for petrol especially in EU and US will now have OPF filters as well
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3