I did it, I removed my DPF





Results 1 to 20 of 46

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default I did it, I removed my DPF

    OK, So after a long and tiring thought process, I decided to try something.

    On Saturday I went to Best Drive and asked them to remove my DPF box, and replace it with a straight pipe. I NEEDED to see what my DPF looks like after 180K km`s. My thinking was that if it is not too bad, I can just put it back on right?
    I was shocked to see the state of my DPF. It was so blocked/clogged up that I couldn't see through the honeycomb. No use posting a picture, as the camera doesn't show the actual state.

    We dipped the DPF box in some water, and the water was only trickling out on the other side. (I know water is denser than air, but i expected a better flow. it took about 2 min for a cup of water to run through)
    Anyway, I decided to leave it off, If i can get the DPF cleaned, I can put it back later to keep the environmentalist happy.

    When the new pipe was on, I pulled the Car out of the shop and revved it past 4000rpm, and the amount of black Soot and ##### coming out the exhaust was concerning. After about 10 times revving the car, I could see the pipe was clearing as nothing was being expelled anymore. I took it on the highway for 50km straight road and back (100km total) to get the system all cleared.

    What i found driving the car afterwards. (Might be the placebo effect, but i hope it is not)

    • Car does not feel sluggish when going over a speedhump in 2nd/3rd.
    • Turbo lag is mush less. (almost feel as if it spooling up quicker)
    • Engine noise in mush less.
    • Dont have to force the Pedal to stay at 140km/h.
    • Acceleration from 60-120km/h in 5th gear doesnt take that long.
    • No more pungent Oder when I start my car in garage.
    • No comment on Fuel consumption yet, I Wil report back after 2-3tanks. - Currently getting +/-600km per tank)


    Ill try and update this as times goes on.

    Cheers
    Shaun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_091345.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	556846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_092328.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	556847

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    36
    Posts
    296
    Thanked: 142

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    What fuel are you currently using?

    How long are your trips?



    Personally I found that the decat was more of a placebo than anything really worth while. I simply chiseled mine out and left the cat box on.

    I can hear the turbo spool a bit easier, but to me its the same as when a golf gets a 60mm free flow. The sound makes it the worlds fastest car

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    423
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    From the 4wd Action guys Down Under:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v7fvJiXL8
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

    Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

    My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    From the 4wd Action guys Down Under:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v7fvJiXL8

    Yeah, Ive seen that Video (Love those guys!)

    They are comparing the power difference between a GOOD DPF and no DPF. I agree with them on that one, No noticeable gain to be expected on a newish car. The story will change if the DPF is blocked.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanked: 679

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Is that a DPF or a Catalytic Converter?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    423
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    The video is about the Diesel Particulate Filter... Not sure if Catalytic Converter is the same as DPF
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

    Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

    My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wartburg.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059
    Thanked: 534

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    "I did it, I removed my DPF"

    No you didn't, you removed the Catalytic Converter.

    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanked: 679

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Is that a DPF or a Catalytic Converter?

    I really am not trying to be funny or nasty - I am trying to learn something.

    So can some one knowledgeable please respond?

    Anyway, I am asking for a friend



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinBravo View Post
    What fuel are you currently using?

    How long are your trips?



    Personally I found that the decat was more of a placebo than anything really worth while. I simply chiseled mine out and left the cat box on.

    I can hear the turbo spool a bit easier, but to me its the same as when a golf gets a 60mm free flow. The sound makes it the worlds fastest car
    I use Normal 50ppm. (Caltex)

    Daily trips to work and back about 12km each way. But we do much longer trips over Weekends, I always try and keep the car above 100km/h for atleast 20-30km once a week to get some good burn.

    Removing the DPF doesnt hurt the car in any way, So it would have bothered me until I did it. The next thing that bothers me is my egr valve and Intake manifold. I have seen some scary videos out there. Maybe I must stop watching youtube.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Quote Originally Posted by Vormoto View Post
    OK, So after a long and tiring thought process, I decided to try something.

    On Saturday I went to Best Drive and asked them to remove my DPF box, and replace it with a straight pipe. I NEEDED to see what my DPF looks like after 180K km`s. My thinking was that if it is not too bad, I can just put it back on right?
    I was shocked to see the state of my DPF. It was so blocked/clogged up that I couldn't see through the honeycomb. No use posting a picture, as the camera doesn't show the actual state.

    We dipped the DPF box in some water, and the water was only trickling out on the other side. (I know water is denser than air, but i expected a better flow. it took about 2 min for a cup of water to run through)
    Anyway, I decided to leave it off, If i can get the DPF cleaned, I can put it back later to keep the environmentalist happy.

    When the new pipe was on, I pulled the Car out of the shop and revved it past 4000rpm, and the amount of black Soot and ##### coming out the exhaust was concerning. After about 10 times revving the car, I could see the pipe was clearing as nothing was being expelled anymore. I took it on the highway for 50km straight road and back (100km total) to get the system all cleared.

    What i found driving the car afterwards. (Might be the placebo effect, but i hope it is not)

    • Car does not feel sluggish when going over a speedhump in 2nd/3rd.
    • Turbo lag is mush less. (almost feel as if it spooling up quicker)
    • Engine noise in mush less.
    • Dont have to force the Pedal to stay at 140km/h. - Why on earth is this necessary?
    • Acceleration from 60-120km/h in 5th gear doesnt take that long.
    • No more pungent Oder when I start my car in garage.
    • No comment on Fuel consumption yet, I Wil report back after 2-3tanks. - Currently getting +/-600km per tank)


    Ill try and update this as times goes on.

    Cheers
    Shaun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_091345.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	556846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_092328.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	556847
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    47
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    It's worrying that the "thing" was in such condition, especially because they are blady expensive to replace.

    Diesel particulates are not necessarily bad for the environment but rather for us. They cause respiratory issues, lung cancer, cardio vascular diseases etc.

    I don't blame you for wanting to remove it, hell I would have done the same, until I stumbled across some info as to why they are there. It's a similar story to the Asbestos crisis.

    Maybe get it cleaned?

    Just my 2c

    Let us know if you find a solution

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    40
    Posts
    120
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    I did mine on my 2009 2.5 Triton last year and it definitely has more pro's then cons for the consumer. I know the Aussies cant really remove theirs as its illegal to do this, but to me it feels like the manufacturers are just passing the buck to us as these DPF's have a limited life span.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    It's worrying that the "thing" was in such condition, especially because they are blady expensive to replace.

    Diesel particulates are not necessarily bad for the environment but rather for us. They cause respiratory issues, lung cancer, cardio vascular diseases etc.
    I don't blame you for wanting to remove it, hell I would have done the same, until I stumbled across some info as to why they are there. It's a similar story to the Asbestos crisis.

    Maybe get it cleaned?

    Just my 2c

    Let us know if you find a solution
    My plan is to have it cleaned using a Torch and possibly fitting it again.
    Toyota`s "DPF burn/regenerate" has been flawed since day 1. to put it simple, it doesnt work! Even now, Toyota is in a class action law suit over the current model 1GD-FTV engine vehicles having DPF issues. (Google it)

    Not to step on anyone toes. But in my opinion the "THING" is a just a eye-blind, it prevents soot and particulars from being deposited into the atmosphere in city and town driving. During extended driving at higher speeds, a Regeneration should occur, where it dumps that crap out anyway. Just further away from town and populated area`s. (Higher speeds normally occur of out towns)

    So, DPF collects the crap, and dumps out later. that is how it is kept clean. Also, they only have a life expectancy of 200k km`s.

    Again, this pot was merely to indicate what my experience so far was with this. Im planning on taking my Intake manifold and EGR valve to inspect for crap.

    Alot of people talk about dpf/catalytic coverters/egr valve etc... but no one actually does it or report back with results.


    After seeing pictures like the ones below, I feel uncomfortable. I just have to get mine checked/cleaned.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egr1_b6e1d2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	556863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-21-1520x1000.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	556864

    Last edited by Vormoto; 2020/02/03 at 02:35 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: I did it, I removed my DPF

    Ok guys.

    I didnt want to start any issues. So I will recap

    I removed the "thing" under my car, it was blocked as hell.

    Result :favourable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •