How much ??????

Thread: How much ??????

Default How much ??????

Just got off the phone with DWNP.

Looking to book Tree island for 2021

Fell off my chair and hurt my bad foot again

From P30 per person per night to P 200 per person per night

per day rate for park fees plus vehicle rate

One night per couple will now cost you a whopping P 740.

@ exchange of 1.4 this will give you R1036.

Guess who will be changing plans.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: How much ??????

It has been like that Stranger:
    Makgadikgadi park fees are P120 per person, plus P50 per vehicle. Camping is P30 per person at all DWNP campsites across Botswana, making it P120+50+30= P200
    https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-ide...ational-parks/

Sorry Pat, please check it out for yourself.

I have just been sent a booking form that clearly shows P 200 as the camping fee alone. This replaces the previous P 30

On top of this you have the Vehicle fee P 50. This is now per day so for an overnight it double to P 100

Park fees are P 120 per person, also now charged per day, so for an overnight it is doubled.

one night stay per person is now

P100
    P240
    P200

P440 plus P100 for vehicle fee.

I verified this with a phone call to DWNP, hence why my foot is hurting.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Ok which means I didnt understand your initial post. I thought you meant P200 as a sum not camping ALONE. I will call DWNP and confirm, because there hasnt been changes in any camping fees. Sorry about banging down your foot, there have interns there, maybe your call was answered by one of them.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/02/03 at 11:44 AM.

Please note for

Taken from the booking form, 10 pax

Foreign Vehicle Entry at Makgadikgadi 300.00 IE 3 vehicles at P50 per day times 2 days
    Non-Residents entry at Makgadikgadi 2400.00 IE 10 pax at P120 per day times two days
    Wilderness camping for Non Residents @ Makgadikgadi 2000.00 IE P200 PPPN
    Total Due BWP 4700.00
    Last edited by Stranger; 2020/02/06 at 11:12 AM.

BMW R1200R

So this is the Response:
    From June 2019, they corrected the omission, as stated in their act, that Tree Island is in a TRAIL. So its P200 per person camping.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    So this is the Response:
    From June 2019, they corrected the omission, as stated in their act, that Tree Island is in a TRAIL. So its P200 per person camping.
    On the invoice it states : Wilderness camp

It certainly appears that they are wanting their pound of flesh for every available site now. I wonder what Mabua will be put up to next ?

I was told verbally that Njuca hills is also P200, so Makgadagadi on the Southern part is now also really expensive, with very little value to be honest.

BMW R1200R

@stranger and pat n wolf
    Does that apply also for the camps in the Botswana side of kgalagadi as far as you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Nambots View Post
    @stranger and pat n wolf
    Does that apply also for the camps in the Botswana side of kgalagadi as far as you know?
    I have not found that out yet, you are thinking of Rooiputs, Polentswa and so on. I also want to know but some one else's turn to call dwnp. I also want to know about Mabua sites for 2021

Tel: (+267) 3180774 or 3971405

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I have not found that out yet, you are thinking of Rooiputs, Polentswa and so on. I also want to know but some one else's turn to call dwnp. I also want to know about Mabua sites for 2021

Tel: (+267) 3180774 or 3971405

We will find out for sure. I'm planing 2n at polentswa 1n at rooiputs and 3 in the mabua area (probably lesholoago pan). For now it seem that it is 20+30+4 so 54 Pula with vehicle fee (50 Pula pppn).
    Then I checked selfdrive website:
    http://www.selfdrive4x4.co.za/entran..._reserves.html
    It seems updated because I could find the 200 Pula for tree island mentioned earlier, although for ktp the rates are 20+25+4 instead of 20+30+4, but wouldn't make the greatest difference.

I am curious about the logic of classifying Tree Island as a wilderness camp or as part of a trail. How is it determined to be a wilderness camp? If one goes merely by facilities, then all the camps in CKGR and certainly all of Mabua's camps plus Polentswa, Swartpan, etc will also have to be seen as wilderness camps.

so Makgadagadi on the Southern part is now also really expensive, with very little value to be honest.
    This is true unfortunately.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

With one stroke of the pen, they have pushed their revenue up considerably.

60% increase in camping fees and 100% increase in park fees by charging per day and not per night.

Clever from a financial perspective but the actuality might bite them in the bum.

They have now excluded the self driver who from a financial point picks these sites and takes a chance for game viewing. The overseas tourist who comes on the once in a lifetime trip is not going to be interested in Tree Island, they have come to see the game and scream bloody murder if they do not get to see "what they paid for"

BMW R1200R

60% increase in camping fees and 100% increase in park fees by charging per day and not per night.

Clever from a financial perspective but the actuality might bite them in the bum.

They have now excluded the self driver who from a financial point picks these sites and takes a chance for game viewing. The overseas tourist who comes on the once in a lifetime trip is not going to be interested in Tree Island, they have come to see the game and scream bloody murder if they do not get to see "what they paid for"
    My sentiments exactly. We have just paid for out April 2020 trip into Botswana and it will most probably be our last after made on average two trips a year for the last 12 years. Yes I know, you can not beat the tranquility, nature and animals right next door but surely, somewhere a line is to be drawn regarding cost versus what Botswana offers. Places like Khumaga (P580 pppn) and Khama Rhino Sanctury (P504 pppn) are with the Pula/Rand exchange rate really not worth it considering the extra day Park fees. Another concern is that the rack rates of operators like SKL is not adhered to if you book via a booking agent. SKL rack rates for Savuti and Khumage as quoted by SKL is ZAR250 but booking agents received a rate of P240 pppn (R324) from SKL. Now add the park fees of P340 pppn (P120 pppd x2 + P50 pvpd x2) and it really sucks. Or is it Botswana's Tourism Board that is sucking tourists dry. The mentioned tariffs are SADC tariffs. The non SADC tourists are even more exploited. I think the Park Fees calculated per day and not per night is a real scam/shame.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

I wonder what the new fees for campers are?

The line for us was already drawn when we bought our camper - it's one thing paying P90 for your vehicle per day, but quite a step up to P1000 if your vehicles is 500kg heavier than an LDV.

Luckily we have seen something of Bots there are other nice spots closer to home...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Keeps the Aventura & Forever Resort Campers out. Botswana still a Gem, even at those prices.

Perhaps the time has come for a 2 tier system? Premium pricing for the iconic parks (Moremi, Chobe) and standard pricing for the less visited parks (Kgalagadi, CKR, Makgadikgadi etc). If numbers continue to drop at the latter, it's hard to see how DWNP is going to maintain them; let alone attracting its lifeblood, the self-driver. Affordable and full beats expensive and empty any day.

Also decided to stay local this year after falling off my chair and wacking my injured foot when I got the quote. Central Kalahari would amount to R1500 per day for my family to stand on a clearing in the bush. if memory serves me right, locals are charged around 1/3 of that and international tourists even more. I feel its got out of hand. Its a shame but time will tell if its sustainable. If international tourists outnumber the SADC tourists then I am afraid it probably will not see any reprieve in the tariffs.
    Evan
    Companion 2
    3.2 Everest XLT 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by evascon1 View Post
    Central Kalahari would amount to R1500 per day for my family to stand on a clearing in the bush. if memory serves me right, locals are charged around 1/3 of that and international tourists even more. I feel its got out of hand.
    That is the thing for me: I will pay that for the CKGR now while I still have income. What I get out of a visit to the CKGR is priceless. But I will not pay that for over populated places like Moremi, neither for a park like Makgadigadi. After retirement, we will not be able to afford those prices anyway.

I am however afraid that the rates are sustainable and it is in line with Botswana's ethos of high cost, low volume tourism. Just look how far ahead one has to book nowadays for prime campsites in Moremi, Chobe and CKGR. Whether payment for these bookings are ever received is another question of course.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Another angle to consider, in the “quality of tourism vs the quantity of tourists” debate, would be the balance between park fees and the “quality” of the tourist. Surely longtime, and frequent, park visitors can qualify for rebates? More so if they are members of conservations organizations and/or have wilderness education qualifications. We’ve all had our fill of “one-timers” trashing wilderness areas out of ignorance. For clarity, I’m referring to self-drive bush campers here; and not high-end lodge dwellers, who are already incentivized with existing card discount schemes. Look after the loyal customer and he’ll look after your business.