Mabuasehube to Nossab travel and camping advice

Default Mabuasehube to Nossab travel and camping advice

Good day, putting plans together for a trip which includes the Kgalagadi, South Africa and Botswana. Will be towing the Comfortvan. Some advice please:

1. Road from Nossab Camp to Mabuasehube camps. What is the condition of this road given that we are towing?
    2. Booking camping in Mabuasehube area what is the best/most reliable way of dong this?
    3. Suggested camps in the Mabuasehube area planning about 3 night stay and would prefer to stay in one place.
    4. Advantages/disadvantages of driving the Mabuasehube Wilderness trail vs the main public road (travel east to west)?

Many thanks
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: Mabuasehube to Nossab travel and camping advice

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilh View Post
    Good day, putting plans together for a trip which includes the Kgalagadi, South Africa and Botswana. Will be towing the Comfortvan. Some advice please:

1. Road from Nossab Camp to Mabuasehube camps. What is the condition of this road given that we are towing? Lots of sand special the last 30 km near Nossob. Please do not do it alone.
    2. Booking camping in Mabuasehube area what is the best/most reliable way of dong this? The best campsite in my opinion is Mapay no 1 or 2 bur also the most pricy. Private . Lesoloage no 2 is also good. dwnp

3. Suggested camps in the Mabuasehube area planning about 3 night stay and would prefer to stay in one place. Answer in previos quistion BUT all depends on available at that stage.

4. Advantages/disadvantages of driving the Mabuasehube Wilderness trail vs the main public road (travel east to west)?
    Only advance is no cars coming from front but both are difficult. And please, do not do it alone when you towing.

Many thanks
    That is my opinion.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

In the past you werent allowed to tow on the Mabua Trail, not sure if that has changed? Could be but check first. I prefer that route with an overnight at Mosomane, you have the trail all to yourself.

I would have to agree with the Mpaya sites and Lesho#2 as the best, based on our one trip into Mabua. As far as the Mabua trail, I do not think they will let you do it without a minimum of 2 vehicles (what we were told when we did it).

1. Road from Nossab Camp to Mabuasehube camps. What is the condition of this road given that we are towing? I personally will not take this road again, erosion has decimated this road....the last 30km sand is a blessing....it is the rest of the road that shakes the vehicles/ trailers to pieces. Not pleasant at all.
    2. Booking camping in Mabuasehube area what is the best/most reliable way of dong this? We have had no issues using Kelly at Botswana Footprints.
    3. Suggested camps in the Mabuasehube area planning about 3 night stay and would prefer to stay in one place. What the others said
    4. Advantages/disadvantages of driving the Mabuasehube Wilderness trail vs the main public road (travel east to west)? What I believe in 1) above

Many thanks
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

1. Road from Nossab Camp to Mabuasehube camps. What is the condition of this road given that we are towing?
    2. Booking camping in Mabuasehube area what is the best/most reliable way of dong this?
    3. Suggested camps in the Mabuasehube area planning about 3 night stay and would prefer to stay in one place.

Many thanks
    I agree with the camp sites but include Mabuasehube Pan Site 4

As far as towing goes, we towed our Conqueror Companion from Nossob to Mabua using a Jeep 3.6 Rubicon. Keep your tyres at 1.0 bar.

100km of corrugated road and you will feel sorry for your rig. Carry some spare common nuts and bolts. We lost two on the roofrack and the bonnet catch rattled loose.

There are two camps about 70km from Nossob. Not the prettiest but functional (their name escapes me).
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

We did the Boso trail (2 way road )- bad road ; cars both ways - WATCH it ! (towing the confortvan - you might need some momentum and hope there are no cars coming - in most dunes/ close bends you might not be able to see them -unless they use an aerial with flag ? ) ; not good road; stayed at matopi 1 -great experience - thousands of geckos calling at the change of light ; had lots of bees (soaked cloths in water and put them away so they left your mouth alone !); then travelled the next morning to mabua and we stayed at mabua 3 for 3 nights (had leopard around the tent one night ) and lioness in camp ; visited most camps took lots of photos of the pans and game ; then did the wilderness trail and stayed at the compulsory overnight stay ( had brown hyena visiting plus saw lots of eland during the trip back to nossob ); sand part was a lot better to drive ; slow going but better , took lots of photos ; no cars coming the opposite side ; great trip ! we booked thru mackenzie 4x4 in maun for the main stay at mabua and then just visited the office at the gate and just booked the wilderness trail there and then ; i have towed a comfort van to the ckgr ( in march ) and it was very challenging ( some mud and rain )but great wrt not having to camp on the ground ; i would rather get into mabua via the main mabua gate - it is a short safer route then the boso trail ( 2 way road) but definetely book the one way wilderness trail to drive back to nossob ; Rgds
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2020/02/03 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add info

Not sure if I read this correctly but the body of your post suggests that you are going from Nossop to Mabua. If that's the case your biggest challenge while towing on the Boso Trail will be the first dune after crossing the riverbed. The rest is mostly thick sand and there are two overnight camps at Matopi roughly 90km from Nossop I recommend staying over just to break the journey as it will take you about 4 hours to get there.

Thanks all!!
    With respect to direction of travel we are open to doing it either way.
    If we traveled from Mabu to Nossab do I understand correctly that the one-way Wildeness trail is a better option than the 2 way road?
    Corrugations do not worry me so much, but sand does (been there got stuck!!)
    Last edited by Cecilh; 2020/02/07 at 04:08 PM.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Thanks all!!
    With respect to direction of travel we are open to doing it either way.
    If we traveled from Mabu to Nossab do I understand correctly that the one-way Wildeness trail is a better option than the 2 way road?
    Corrugations do not worry me so much, but sand does (been there got stuck!!)
    Yes Cecil. Coming from Mabua to Nossop the Wilderness trail is in IMHO the preferred route. But they do not allow you towing anything on that route due to the ecosystems on that route as well as the high dunes you will encounter towards the end of day two. Believe me, you battle to drive over it solo. Even if you manage to get over it while towing, you will create so much damage to the upslope of the dune due to wheel spin that the next guy will have to repair (with great effort and time) the road first before attempting it. So please, DO NOT DO IT!! Photo of one of the smallest dunes attached. The sand was a bit compacted due to rain the previous day.Name:  Mabuatrip0683 (683x1024).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  402.5 KB
    Last edited by AndreTunie; 2020/02/10 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add photo
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"