How to "revive" a Deep cycle battery

Default How to "revive" a Deep cycle battery

My BIL gave me a unused Dixon 104Ah deep cycle battery which he did not use and has been standing unused for a while.(Year plus)

The litlle screen, indicating charge level is clear, but it is completely flat. My normal car battery charger does not manage to recharge it.

Will it recharge if I put it in my National Luna box and drive for a couple of hours? Alternatively, I can connect it to My Echo trailers charger and trickle charge it.

What would be my best option....or is it kaput?

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2020/02/01 at 12:37 PM.

Default Re: How to "revive" a Deep cycle battery

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    My BIL gave me a unused Dixon 104Ah deep cycle battery which he did not use and has been standing unused for a while.(Year plus)

The litlle screen, indicating charge level is clear, but it is completely flat. My normal car battery charger does not manage to recharge it.

Will it recharge if I put it in my National Luna box and drive for a couple of hours? Alternatively, I can connect it to My Echo trailers charger and trickle charge it.

What would be my best option....or is it kaput?

Bostoe

It sounds like you donít have a suitable boost charger so the easiest is probably to take it to your nearest Battery Centre or similar where they can test it and charge it properly if necessary.

However, if it has been standing in a discharged state for a year...😭😭😭
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Coubtry gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Lady SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

An easy way to fool your charger is to charge the deep cycle in parallel with a charged battery. Then it will receive a charge. Many chargers will not push charging current if the voltage of the battery is below 9v.
    So if I want to jippo I add an alarm battery to the mix and remove every hour to see if the battery has recovered to above 9v. The. You can continue charging it on its own.

Alternatively you can try to charge it in you other setup you mentioned secondly.

Thanks guys
    Bostoe

Do the dummy battery trick above to get the charger started. Once your battery has recovered enough let it charge on its own with the smart charger.

This is one time where I would use the "Recover" feature, or whatever it is called on your charger.

The battery will be heavily sulphated by now and probably useless. It may appear to act OK but only hold about 5% capacity and self discharge overnight.

Try repeatedly discharging and then Recover charging it every day for a week or so. Sometimes this dislodges and partially dissolves the sulpher layers.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Bostoe
    If clear means green and it is flat try the Karoo Klong method. I recently got a Royal which showed green and the battery looked like new but it went as a trade-in as I could not get it to charge with a TRFR charger or smart charger. It would not come up higher than 2V under no load after charging for 2 days.

Thanks to all of you.

By connecting the battery in parallel with a charged battery, on my Echo trailer's charger, did it.

It seems to be still working fine. Currently testing it by running my National Luna fridge off the battery.

Bostoe
    Last edited by bostoe; 2020/02/04 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks to all of you.

By connecting the battery in parallel with a charged battery, on my Echo trailer's charger, did it.

It seems to be still working fine. Currently testing it by running my National Luna fridge off the battery.

Bostoe
    That's great news!

Sadly the battery is kaput.......

Looses it's charge quickly.

Bostoe

As Fluffy said it will be......
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) old and wise at 844 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD reaching puberty at 103 000 km