Fortuner Help with turbo

Thread: Help with turbo

Default Help with turbo

Hi,

I took my Fortuner to our local Toyota dealership during the week just to fix a few things I wanted fixed and to give the car a check to see if all was good (purchased the vehicle at 2nd hand dealer).

Got a call that the vehicle was ready for collection but there was a quote for a new turbo (according to dealer where I purchased the vehicle the turbo was replaced and he showed me the invoice).

My question - how do they/are the suppose to test/check a turbo to be able to say it needs replacing ? All the mechanic/technician told me is he could hear it was on its way out (something about a cat) and that it needed replacing. From what I read on the site there are a few tell tale signs that should give you warning, I hear no siren/whining noise and there is no excessive smoke from the exhaust.

PLEASE HELP

Default Re: Help with turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Riscem View Post
    Hi,

I took my Fortuner to our local Toyota dealership during the week just to fix a few things I wanted fixed and to give the car a check to see if all was good (purchased the vehicle at 2nd hand dealer).

Got a call that the vehicle was ready for collection but there was a quote for a new turbo (according to dealer where I purchased the vehicle the turbo was replaced and he showed me the invoice).

My question - how do they/are the suppose to test/check a turbo to be able to say it needs replacing ? All the mechanic/technician told me is he could hear it was on its way out (something about a cat) and that it needed replacing. From what I read on the site there are a few tell tale signs that should give you warning, I hear no siren/whining noise and there is no excessive smoke from the exhaust.

PLEASE HELP
    Kilo's on the car and since the new turbo? Does it use any oil?

But the fortuner, especially the 3.0D4d is known to have a higher pitch turbo whistle. If it has been decatted then that will be even more pronounced. Unless the noise is very obvious that is a big statement to make without even pulling off the inter cooler inlet and checking for play on the shaft/seized bearings?

People are quick to jump to things like turbo's. If the second one has indeed gone though and its been short then there is a plumbing problem somewhere (i.e oil blockage or blocked intercooler). A recon is not horribly expensive either so that is an option as opposed to a new one.

I am not an expert though
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/01/31 at 11:17 AM.

Only 2000km on car since new turbo.

Was the "new" turbo ever fitted when you bought the car?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Was the "new" turbo ever fitted when you bought the car?
    Accordig to the jobcard, it was fitted.

My Fortuner's turbo was replaced a few weeks ago. During our December trip in Lesotho I could clearly hear a whining noise and it felt that the car did not have power. When I took it for a service I asked them to check the turbo.

They then confirmed that the turbo is faulty and replaced under the extended warranty. Warranty is expiring en of March. So it was just in time.

Quote Originally Posted by cornel1610 View Post
    My Fortuner's turbo was replaced a few weeks ago. During our December trip in Lesotho I could clearly hear a whining noise and it felt that the car did not have power. When I took it for a service I asked them to check the turbo.

They then confirmed that the turbo is faulty and replaced under the extended warranty. Warranty is expiring en of March. So it was just in time.
    I honestly don't think that it was your turbo.
    The air is very thin up there and vehicles do battle, even my V8 doesn't pull up there.

I wonder how many warranty "turbo failures" Toyota sits with that was mis diagnosed and changed under warranty?

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Riscem View Post
    Accordig to the jobcard, it was fitted.
    If it ate a turbo in 2000km you have got a oil feed problem, and even then, if there was a oil feed problem, you wouldn't have driven 2000km

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

There was a definite whining noise from the turbo. So much so that my wife asked me what the noise was.

Back here in Strand I could also still hear the whine of the turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I honestly don't think that it was your turbo.
    The air is very thin up there and vehicles do battle, even my V8 doesn't pull up there.

I wonder how many warranty "turbo failures" Toyota sits with that was mis diagnosed and changed under warranty?

What causes turbo whine?

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Remove the turno inlet hose. Hold the spindle with the gingers an check for vertical and lateral movement. Up to .5mm movement will still be ok. Check the inlet if the compressor blades have started touching the sides anywhere. If none of the above, turbo should still be ok.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/01/31 at 09:02 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow