Aspw lc79 300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aspw lc79 300

Default Aspw lc79 300

Have any of you guys seen his latest project on youtube with extending the rear wheels back 300mm without extending the total vehicle length? Seems to be a great idea for carrying loads. Not sure how the very long wheelbase will manage over rough climbs/obstacles though. End results looks great. I'm sure a company like Meano can do this locally.

Default Re: Aspw lc79 300

I did see it yes, wonder what the cost involved is?

But in my case, how much load do you carry on a DC, and more importantly what about your break over angle now, it was'n the best to start off with?

Air bags will be sufficient and much cheaper option.

If you are going to carry loads then get a single cab, they are very good at it.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    extending the rear wheels back 300mm without extending the total vehicle length?
    How?
    They are adding in 300mm to the chassis and have to extend drive shaft, fuel and brake lins, ext ...

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I have done a few trips with the 79 and 76. Some real tough trips included. My humble opinion is that the 79 is already a long vehicle that needs very careful navigation in serious obstacles. The 76 with its short wheel base makes the very same obstacles easy going.
    Adding another 300mm will definitely interfere with a 79 wheelbase Cruisers offroad ability.
    But then it all depends on what you want to use the vehicle for.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    How?
    They are adding in 300mm to the chassis and have to extend drive shaft, fuel and brake lins, ext ...
    It is for the vehicles as used in Oz with trayback loadbins. In standard form the usual traybacks overhangs the chassis on the of the 79 DC by quite a margin. The 300mm extension lengthens the 79's chassis, and the trayback is better supported and with a better rear axle position, but the overall length in the Oz version is not increased. The same mode will have a different effect on the standard SA model with the normal loadbin.
    '89 LR 110 V8

I watched the video last night. I agree that vehicles of that length don't make great offroaders. But in Andrew's case that's not what he uses it for. He does overlanding, where reliability and load carrying ability is king. Makes sense for him, but not for someone wanting to take their rig on a grade 4 track.

It is not an unusual mod Down Under. I've seen a couple on YT and in mags over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    How?
    Yeah, Andrew contradicts himself in the video. First he says that the length does not change, and later he says that length will change slightly. I agree, if the chassis is *lengthened* to be able to put more weight ahead of the axel the car cannot remain the same length. It will be 300mm longer

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Yeah, Andrew contradicts himself in the video. First he says that the length does not change, and later he says that length will change slightly. I agree, if the chassis is *lengthened* to be able to put more weight ahead of the axel the car cannot remain the same length. It will be 300mm longer
    He didnít add the length to the tray, he merely moved the axle back.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    He didnít add the length to the tray, he merely moved the axle back.
    Fair enough, but the wheelbase was lengthened

Vehicle length does not equal chassis length. Look under a bakkie and you see that the chassis legs stop short of the end of the load bin

As said above the rear of the vehicle tray extends past the end of the chassis. You then extend the chassis between the axles, adding in 300mm, the end of the chassis is now pretty much flush with the end of the vehicle.

Andrew builds these vehicles for clients around the world, some in the Middle East. So this is a business venture and it works for him. I enjoy his vehicle builds because they are very practical and definitely wonít include a Raptor kit, thatís for sure
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

think the name is a bit misleading with the release of the new 300 series station wagon coming out but i suppose that's how you get hits on you tube

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have done a few trips with the 79 and 76. Some real tough trips included. My humble opinion is that the 79 is already a long vehicle that needs very careful navigation in serious obstacles. The 76 with its short wheel base makes the very same obstacles easy going.
    Adding another 300mm will definitely interfere with a 79 wheelbase Cruisers offroad ability.
    But then it all depends on what you want to use the vehicle for.
    Interesting observation, Ive seem similar things happen with land rovers at off-road and trial events.

Land Cruiser 76 (107inch wheelbase)
    Defender 110 (110 inch wheelbase)

Land cruiser 79 (125 inch wheelbase)
    Defender 130 (127 inch wheelbase)

The defender 110s always tend to do better in more rough situations than 130 which would support what you have experienced.

The best off-road wheelbase imho is 100inches (typically discos)

Having said all that there is more that a few landy fanatics that have owned 130s and 110s and said the road holding ability and gravel stability is better in the 130. From my limited experience with 130s I tend to agree.

I would hazard a guess it is similar in land cruisers and with ASPW lengthening wheelbase he should gain some stability and sure footedness. Not a bad compromise in an overlander.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

It seems on this forum you cannot make any thread with Andrew St. Pierre White in the title or body without a pack of dogs attacking what he does and criticizing every little move.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

the main reason for extension is to stop the 79 from lifting its nose which it does with a load on the back

Correct. The regular forum clique has already established that all ASPW videos are rubbish, period.

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    the main reason for extension is to stop the 79 from lifting its nose which it does with a load on the back
    I appreciate his content. I think he is the most experienced and knowledgeable overlander on youtube. I prefer him to Ronny Dahl. He also makes captivating adventure series.

I enjoy his shows for the most part can be preachy but content is good and honest

Ballies in Jhb bas been doing it for a long time for the mines in SWA. I have just extended the chassis of my 100 SUV. CHECK OUT PICS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast