Best awd system? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Best awd system?

I know the Duster is based on the XTrail's system, I assume the newer versions and it has traction control/lsd. Has anyone here tried it on cross axles? Any video's perhaps?
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

As some people commented, AWD is amazing on snow and ice with the correct tires. I don't think AWD was ever designed to be used on 4x4 trails.

This topic was very confusing to me at first and I ended up with a softie (because of my needs) and very happy with it.
    Let's make a quick example. Let's say you've gotten yourself into a pickle. Would you rather have the AWD system in the Subaru or the lock system with centre diff in the outlander?
    I'm asking because I have an outlander and haven't gotten stuck as yet (I don't go where supped up patrols go either). There's aren't very many YouTube videos of outlanders in rough terrain so is that the reason for it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by JuanB View Post
    Why do you say thatThe only differance is the type used(make/part time/full time) and the amount of electronics.

Because, I can assure you, I will get way higher up the mountain in a VXR than in any normal AWD vehicle. Its just simple, the VXR although AWD during normal highway driving, can be changed by pressing a few knobs into a real 4X4 that can cope with real 4x4 demands where a normal AWD will never be able to compete.

I don't care how you get it into the 4x4 with lockers and low range. Even with road tyres it will outnumber a standard AWD vehicle by far.

To expect and take a standard AWD vehicle through obstacles like cross axle twisters, climbing steps, chassis twisters and whatever else is just beyond the design and point of an AWD.
    If you are seriously in trouble and need to get through it without any other option, I suppose you might be in better shape than in a standard front wheel drive car. To buy, or to think by getting an AWD as a "cheaper" option to a real 4x4 and to think you are going to keep up with the Joneses going up Naval Hill and doing and going everywhere they will be going in their VXR...….I don't think so!!
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    Because, I can assure you, I will get way higher up the mountain in a VXR than in any normal AWD vehicle. Its just simple, the VXR although AWD during normal highway driving, can be changed by pressing a few knobs into a real 4X4 that can cope with real 4x4 demands where a normal AWD will never be able to compete.

I don't care how you get it into the 4x4 with lockers and low range. Even with road tyres it will outnumber a standard AWD vehicle by far.

To expect and take a standard AWD vehicle through obstacles like cross axle twisters, climbing steps, chassis twisters and whatever else is just beyond the design and point of an AWD.
    If you are seriously in trouble and need to get through it without any other option, I suppose you might be in better shape than in a standard front wheel drive car. To buy, or to think by getting an AWD as a "cheaper" option to a real 4x4 and to think you are going to keep up with the Joneses going up Naval Hill and doing and going everywhere they will be going in their VXR...….I don't think so!!
    Really?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Really?

And off course you will know differently.

So why don't we all just sell out kitted out expensive 4x4 vehicles with long wheel travel, diff locks, ###### groot tyres, aftermarket suspension and low range and just go out and buy run of the mill AWD cars....

Because AWD cars CAN!! and purpose made 4x4 vehicles is a moneymaking myth....

REALLY!!!!!!!
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

This wasn't supposed to be a debate about whether or not an awd can do everything a cruiser can, it can't. I don't enjoy bouncing around rock crawling, but do enjoy dirt roads and getting far off the tar. I chose an awd vehicle as I spend probably only a few weeks a year (cumulatively) off tar and so far my awd freelander 2 has never been in a situation where it struggled much off road (yes I know it's also where I choose to go but I have also tackled a few easy 4x4 trails). If I wanted a trail monster I would have chosen something with solid axles, diff locks and low range. The question was to help with a future choice of awd vehicle, as it more than adequately meets my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    This wasn't supposed to be a debate about whether or not an awd can do everything a cruiser can, it can't. I don't enjoy bouncing around rock crawling, but do enjoy dirt roads and getting far off the tar. I chose an awd vehicle as I spend probably only a few weeks a year (cumulatively) off tar and so far my awd freelander 2 has never been in a situation where it struggled much off road (yes I know it's also where I choose to go but I have also tackled a few easy 4x4 trails). If I wanted a trail monster I would have chosen something with solid axles, diff locks and low range. The question was to help with a future choice of awd vehicle, as it more than adequately meets my needs.
    Strangely enough, your FL2 will go some place that trail monster wont.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    The last one is a must see wake up call.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -

Damn I love my RRS's.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    Toyota Landcruiser VXR and a Subaru, XTrail or HyundaKia AWD jobbie.
    Not to insult anyone, but you cannot use the words Subaru, XTrail or Hyundai/Kia in the same sentence.

I could understand your opinion if you had either of the latter two, but otherwise I'm with JuanB, 4eTouareg and Fluffy.

Where's an evangelist when you need one?
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/01/31 at 08:22 PM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Double post.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/01/31 at 08:20 PM.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Im with JJJ on this

Regarding the following statement,

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    As far as I am concerned most AWD systems are more or less the same what would be a major factor for me would be approach, breakover and departure angles. Some softroaders lack those
    I don't think all AWD systems are equal. Some are more capable of handling crossaxle situations better than others.

As seen here... (on our soft roader day in 2019 - Freelander, Subaru XV, Volvo Xc60, Kombi 4 motion, Evoque Outlander, Terios)

https://youtu.be/AK5DNQCHYFs

And here .. (on our soft roader day back in 2017 - Freelander, X Trail, Evoque, Duster, Tiguan )

https://youtu.be/dQoXPd5hU_w

In fact, even between vehicles from the same manufacturer, there can be vast differences between traction control systems

Like can be seen here... (Discovery Sport gen 5 Haldex, Evoque gen 4 Haldex)

https://youtu.be/H8-LaS8JwcY

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Strangely enough, your FL2 will go some place that trail monster wont.
    Proof it
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

All should read the OP.

This thread is about the best AWD system, NOT the old boring subject about modern TC systems vs traditional 4x4 systems.

Why not start an argument about points and condensors vs electronic timing systems - it is as relevant.

Or even your brand in general, vs all other brands ( no names, no pack-drill)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

What is also relevant or also comes clear is 4x4 experience.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Proof it
    Easy, every day .

I arrive at work in a calm and collected state after 19 km of highway, potholes, Zimbabwean copper convoys, truck/bus breakdowns at the top of the hill, fleets of minibus taxis, ducking and diving non-indicating lane-changing racers, folks refusing to go faster than 80 in a 120 zone etc.

I marvel at how quiet and well- balanced the Pirelli ATRs are, the lack of wind noise, enabling new nuances to be picked up, never heard before, in music I've played for 12 years or longer.

I recall the places I've been: Namibia (many times), Swaziland, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Wild Coast. The trails I've done: De Wildt, The Wedge, Mlilwane, all the Pontas, Canca, Vleesbaai, Blouberg Kop, Die Plaat, Walker Bay Fisherman's Trail, down the dune past the back of the Waenhuiskrans cave to the lighthouse and back up again, Quinn Point lighthouse, Luderitz to Saddle Hill, Witsand, spread across 4 different AWD SUVs. Forester, Tiguan, Freelander 2 and now Volvo. Any issues on these trips were caused by driver error, not vehicle inability. I got home everytime - and not on a lowbed.

And I say to myself: What a wonderful car. (Sorry, Louis...... )

Recently, at an average of 9.5l/100km.

And then, the best part EVER, I get to repeat this on the way home in the afternoon.

Could someone PSE compose a song or write a poem, titled along the lines of: An Ode to AWD?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/02/01 at 10:51 AM.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    All should read the OP.

This thread is about the best AWD system, NOT the old boring subject about modern TC systems vs traditional 4x4 systems.

Why not start an argument about points and condensors vs electronic timing systems - it is as relevant.

Or even your brand in general, vs all other brands ( no names, no pack-drill)
    Realistically, TC is as much of an essential component of a modern AWD system as - a solid axle and transfer case is to a traditional 4x4 system.

In fact it is so integral that you cant compare AWD systems without considering TC and its impact.

Obviously the whole point of discussing the BEST AWD System is to find how close it comes to mimicking the capability of a traditional 4x4 system.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Obviously the whole point of discussing the BEST AWD System is to find how close it comes to mimicking the capability of a traditional 4x4 system.
    I do agree 100%

If one assumes that fact, it is then still a discussion of which AWD does the best (at mimicking traditional 4x4 sytems).

The discussion is not to compare traditional 4x4 systems with AWD systems.

In "icy" climates, there is a very large market for AWD systems (a market that dwarfs the SA market).
    Traditional 4x4 systems do no feature much in those markets.

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast