Best awd system?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Best awd system?

After reading this forum, I eventually settled on a freelander 2, but did consider the Subaru forester. I just came across a YouTube video of a forester in the USA and all the comments are about how good the Subaru awd system is. I've searched YouTube for comparison videos, but strangely haven't found a single one comparing Subaru to land rover. My freelander more than adequately meets all my motoring needs, so just wondering what people who know more about this stuff think.

https://youtu.be/JLmrj7UOMUY

Default Re: Best awd system?

Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    After reading this forum, I eventually settled on a freelander 2, but did consider the Subaru forester. I just came across a YouTube video of a forester in the USA and all the comments are about how good the Subaru awd system is. I've searched YouTube for comparison videos, but strangely haven't found a single one comparing Subaru to land rover. My freelander more than adequately meets all my motoring needs, so just wondering what people who know more about this stuff think.

https://youtu.be/JLmrj7UOMUY
    As far as I am concerned most AWD systems are more or less the same what would be a major factor for me would be approach, breakover and departure angles. Some softroaders lack those
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    As far as I am concerned most AWD systems are more or less the same what would be a major factor for me would be approach, breakover and departure angles. Some softroaders lack those
    You get lots that over heat and easily has issues when using their AWD for long period (old Nissan x-trail for instance)
    Not generally issue with Subaru AWD systems

So far quite happy with my Forester they are very similar to freelanders in off road
    And handle better on road

Here is older clip of Forester's off road their new systems are better than these in off road conditions
    First Forester on clip is mine when I had her for a couple of months only with road tires (Bridgestone Potenza's)
    And even though the guys said she has limited slip diff none of those models came with it in SA

On the clip you can already see how the next models off road system assisted when grip disapeared
    The ones that came after works even better

Then about 2 years later with slightly more off road tires fitted

Same section is first video about 2 years later in slightly worse conditions coming in

Getting out on top
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2020/01/31 at 06:47 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Nice to see how the different models awd systems work. I haven't done many trails, mainly just use my fl2 for dirt roads, but would definitely join if someone puts together a forester vs freelander day in Cape Town. Of in joburg, please take lots of videos and post.

I used to own an SG forester. The AWD system was fully mechanical. Great handling and amazing on gravel. Did very well on most tracks. The problem is that it lacked traction control. If a wheel lost traction the power would go there and only there. Therefore deep ruts required lots of speed and planning which caused more damage than it would have been required with other proper 4x4 vehicles. I know that newer models have an offroad mode with a kind of TC and they do much better. As far as I know Freelanders have a very Offroad oriented TC, similar to Discos, but I might be wrong. When it comes to high speed gravel driving though, nothing beats a forester. It's like driving on rails, all the time.

If it's the obstacle I'm thinking of, RJAY, here is your comparison from a slightly different viewpoint.

For the Freelander 2: https://youtu.be/KqU5sB_8yGw.

For further reference, the X-Trail: https://youtu.be/oG1dtbXevfE.

This is from an outing thread 8 years ago.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/01/31 at 10:29 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    The AWD system was fully mechanical. The problem is that it lacked traction control. If a wheel lost traction the power would go there and only there. Therefore deep ruts required lots of speed and planning which caused more damage than it would have been required with other proper 4x4 vehicles.
    Yes, even the second generation - 2004 - still had only a viscous clutch between the front and rear axles, similar to RAV, CRV, Freelander 1. So you could not recover from cross-axles in a controlled way.

If you were lucky, the car rolled back as soon as it lost traction. The moment you had either both front or rear wheels against some tractable surface, you had to gun the engine and use the momentum to get you over the obstacle.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

That's more than I plan on attempting with my fl2! Very noticeable difference between the 2 vehicles. Would the forester perform silimary to the xtrail or the freelander 2? That fl2 looked much more capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    If it's the obstacle I'm thinking of, RJAY, here is your comparison from a slightly different viewpoint.

For the Freelander 2: https://youtu.be/KqU5sB_8yGw.

For further reference, the X-Trail: https://youtu.be/oG1dtbXevfE.

This is from an outing thread 8 years ago.

AWD systems vary according to their manufacturer and type.

The FL2 uses the Haldex system, I think Gen 3 in the older models and Gen 4 in the newer.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

Subaru Symmetrical AWD superb and miles ahead of others. Couple that with boxer engine and you have an almost perfectly balanced system.
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16
    Hannibal roofrack

Hi Rjay,

A lot of that "not driven in anger" image of the Freelander 2 is due to the transmission. Buyers tend to forget - or not be aware of - that on a softroader an auto transmission is just so much better than manual. You gain a lot of capability via the slip in the auto transmission - partly compensates for lack of low range - which allows the revs to get into the power band before the car eases off. It makes you look like a pro, greasing through obstacles . In the clips, the Xtrail is manual and the i6 auto.

I've test driven a Subaru XV with the CVT transmission on 2 occasions now, and it would be very close to the Freelander 2, especially with the X-Mode technology. Other physical differences will count against it though, e.g. less ground clearance, suspension travel, low profile tyres, etc.

My son has an early model manual XV, and against upslopes you easily stall the engine when the clutch bites. If you try to slip the clutch, you'll soon smell it. I know this from my 2001 Forester in the sand.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2020/01/31 at 05:13 PM.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    The FL2 uses the Haldex system, I think Gen 3 in the older models and Gen 4 in the newer.
    Yes, the early Evoque also had Gen 4, from around 2011 onwards. 2008 Tiguans Gen 3, as did Volvo. From 2014 however, the latter uses Gen 5. These things just get simpler and smaller with every generation.

On the Freelander 2 with the Gen 3, the exhaust had to dip below the rear suspension subframe before it swung upwards again to enter the rear muffler - this was the lowest point on the car. On the Volvo, they just shrunk the LH fuel tank slightly and squeezed the exhaust in between the tank and Haldex. Automotive bypass surgery. The designer's name was Chris, somebody or other.....

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Awesome! Just what I was looking for! Looked like the same line and approach speed for both vehicles. I'm hoping the big difference is not because of a vehicle setting in the forester.

Getleman...

I did not want to say anything but I cant stop myself.

There IS a monstrous difference in application of AWD and 4x4. If you are buying any AWD vehicle to keep up with your neighbour who has a 4x4 (presumably with a diff lock and/or with some sort of low range), you are just teasing yourself.
    If you are taking your AWB vehicle to do obstackles and/or 4x4 tracks or bundu bashing, or expect it to do well in that type of cenario, then good luck to you and your eventual bank balance. In my opinion, it is not made or ever intended for that, (other than maybe to really get you out of a very, very tight unintended situation you got yourself into).

AWD is for really wet roads, snow, wet moderately muddy unpaved roads, wet grass, moderate sandy conditions and to use where you are driving where good traction for all 4 tyres is questionable.

Proper 4x4 and AWD should and can never be compared!!

Just what I think about it, (and I have and had both).
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    The subaru driver didnt give the X-mode system enough time to do its thing. Common that when it slips the driver brakes. Had he stayed on the loud pedal he would have made it up easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    Getleman...

There IS a monstrous difference in application of AWD and 4x4. If you are buying any AWD vehicle to keep up with your neighbour who has a 4x4 (presumably with a diff lock and/or with some sort of low range), you are just teasing yourself.
    If you are taking your AWB vehicle to do obstackles and/or 4x4 tracks or bundu bashing, or expect it to do well in that type of cenario, then good luck to you and your eventual bank balance. In my opinion, it is not made or ever intended for that, (other than maybe to really get you out of a very, very tight unintended situation you got yourself into).

AWD is for really wet roads, snow, wet moderately muddy unpaved roads, wet grass, moderate sandy conditions and to use where you are driving where good traction for all 4 tyres is questionable.

I agree with your statement, the the OP specifically asked about AWD systems. But AWD systems and electronics have come so advanced this last few years that the only thing holding it back is the vehicle it is mounted in. A good example is the 4 motion system used by VW. Mounted in the softroader is will not go very far, but in the amarok its amazing.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Getleman...

Just a note on this.

You can have AWD and 4x4 same time so let that not confuse anyone that you cannot.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Just a note on this.

You can have AWD and 4x4 same time so let that not confuse anyone that you cannot.
    I absolutely agree with you but there is a mountain of difference between a Toyota Landcruiser VXR and a Subaru, XTrail or HyundaKia AWD jobbie.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

I absolutely agree with you but there is a mountain of difference between a Toyota Landcruiser VXR and a Subaru, XTrail or HyundaKia AWD jobbie.
    Why do you say thatThe only differance is the type used(make/part time/full time) and the amount of electronics.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast