Pathfinder 4.0 V6 Petrol - Experiences?

Default Pathfinder 4.0 V6 Petrol - Experiences?

Good day Gents

I'm starting to become interested in this vehicle, the older 2006-2009 ones can be bought for under R150k, often with less than 150k km (no one can afford to keep the tanks filled ).

Besides the fuel consumption (I can manage that, do not do too many km's per year, and have a company fuel card, so pay tax only on petrol), what is there worth knowing about these in terms of long terms ownership?

I see many for sale with over 250k km on the clock, so it seems they do not necessarily blow up catastrophically.

How reliable is the rest of the drive-train, autobox etc? Independent suspension all round?

I'm a petrol man through and through, and my single foray into turbo-diesels has vindicated my love for the simplicity of a NA petrol motor.

Default Re: Pathfinder 4.0 V6 Petrol - Experiences?

Dude if you have a company petrol card, get a patrol. Get the 4.8 GRX. Itís a beast and will never quit on you

That poor car obviously had been neglected/abused before that owner got it, poor thing.

Was hoping to hear from owners who had them from more intact states.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothan View Post
    Dude if you have a company petrol card, get a patrol. Get the 4.8 GRX. Itís a beast and will never quit on you
    A neat Patrol is a bit above my budget, and a bit overkill.

Default Pathfinder 4.0 V6 Petrol - Experiences?

We owned 2 Pathyís at one stage, diesel and petrol. Petrol snapped a timing chain at 168k and the resultant damage was around R78k.

The ride is nice, but the motor lacks torque and the autobox is very antiquated.

Donít expect much less than around 20lit/km.

Huge load area and if it is the LE model it is extremely well appointed, right down to a super Bose sound system.

We found it to be adequate off road.

Ours is being traded in on an FJ tomorrow, and the diesel was sold a while ago.

Although they can be had for bargain basement pricing, perhaps the diesel would be a better idea.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Markus and Zelda; 2020/01/31 at 05:54 PM.

Thank you Markus and Zelda

I went to look at two yesterday, certainly very roomy and well specified vehicles. One was going for R120k, with 160k km. Excellent condition, could not believe that it was going for so little. The other for R130k, slightly less kms but worse cosmetic condition. Both motors sounded excellent, no rattles or whines or timing chain noises.

The 2.5 diesel motors will start to become more expensive to maintain as they go higher in km's, and they are much more expensive for equivalent km's.