Colt 2.8TDi (2001) Front Wheel Bearings

Post Colt 2.8TDi (2001) Front Wheel Bearings

Hi guys (and gals)....

Im about to ask a question that some seasoned mechies may have a bit of a giggle at. My Colt has roundabout 180,000km on the clock and still running strong (no head, engine, etc trouble). My front discs (rotors) are shot and needed replacement after which I decided to give the lady a new set of front wheel bearings.

I managed to get the bearings out, successfully packed the new bearings, installed the outer part of the bearing (inside and outside bearings). Now it was time for the new inside bearing seal to be installed. I need to confirm which way around the bearing seal should be installed. On the one side the seal has a recess and on the other side it has a small lip. Which side of the bearing seal needs to face towards the dust cover side of the hub?

The picture shows both ends of the seal:

This final picture is the one Ive installed but this is where I started doubting whether it is correct for the lipped side of the seal to point towards the inside (dust cover side).

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Scoob
    Last edited by Scoob; 2009/04/02 at 10:30 PM.

Which way did the old ones face before you removed it?
    I would think the way you have got it in the last pic is the way to go, but only a opinion from a non mech.
    On previous vehicles I have done the bearings, the seal fitted like you have done.
    Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 2X4
    Colt 2.8 TDI 4X4 - It's not fast, it's not furious, but it's FUN!....being missed deeply!!

FEAR is Temporary.... REGRET is Forever....
    Don't learn SAFETY by ACCIDENT!!
    Ps. I still pay in MUD PUDDLES

4ePajero Guest

The 'spring' sits on the 'clean' (grease) side.

Hallo Vallies,

That is a story on its own. I purchased the bearing set in October'08 not that I needed to but in prep I always try and think ahead. Now that it was time to change I got the Colt on tressels and removed the whole lot (2 weeks ago) paying attention to how the dismantling went. I then realised the retailer gave me the wrong set of bearings. Not being in a hurry I only got them changed about 2 days ago and realsied that the ones I got in comparison with the original ones were slightly different. And so doubt started realing me in to the point that I thought rather to ask.

Thank you for your response. Ill possibly have to purchase a new seal cause the pic you see shows a seal that I removed and reinstalled a short while before taking the fotos.

Thanks again
    Scoob

Quote Originally Posted by Vallies View Post
    Which way did the old ones face before you removed it?
    I would think the way you have got it in the last pic is the way to go, but only a opinion from a non mech.
    On previous vehicles I have done the bearings, the seal fitted like you have done.

Thanks a million.

The last pic then shows the correct orientation of the seal. Ive removed that seal and reinstalled it again. Would you think that it would be better to replace the seal seen that Ive removed and reinstalled?

Thanks again.

Scoob

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    The 'spring' sits on the 'clean' (grease) side.