Default Boat opinions - Panache 1450

Hi,

I am looking at moving from a Yamaha VX1000 Jetski to a small boat. Reason is that although the Jetski does what we need fishing in dams and ski'ing we do end up excluding some of the family as it can only take a maximum of 3 people.

I've been looking at the Panache 1450 as it's big enough to accommodate our family of 5 when required but small enough if myself and the 8 year old want to go fishing. It will also fit into a standard garage like the Jetski currently does.

The boat was introduced in 2012 however there don't seem to be a lot of them which have been sold over the years which makes it hard to see if it will be suitable and what a fair purchase price is.

A review of the boat can be found here: https://australmarine.co.za/panache-1450-review/

I have found a 2013 unit which is in really good condition which comes with a Mercury 90hp 2 stroke engine. The boat has less than 50 hours on it as it still has the original factory spark plugs.

The boat can be found here: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...20910005583009

I have seen over time one or two people have commented on owning the boat and their feedback has been positive but more often than not people don't talk about the -ve's with things they have purchased.

For me the potential concerns would be:
    • It's hopelessly too small for 5 people
    • It's horribly over priced and I take a bath when I want to sell it one day
    • It's in such low demand that it takes me 6 months to sell or I take a bath

I have checked with the manufacturers themselves and in fact they rave about the boat and although the recommended max engine size is 70hp they say the 90hp will be fine as it's the same block as a 70hp motor and the boat can handle the stresses of having more power.

Any thought, opinions or first hand experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by RobT; 2020/01/29 at 06:57 PM.
    Rob

Land Rover Defender 110 Melville & Moon Edition 2013 (Eileen)
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 2008 (SWAMBO's)
    Imagine Comfortvan 2009
    Toyota Prado VX D-4D 2011 (Marilyn) - Sold
    Land Rover Defender 90 Td5 2006 (Bundu Bashing Betty) - Sold

Default Re: Boat opinions - Panache 1450

The Panache 1450 is a beautifully made and good looking boat but 14.5 gets real small real fast with 5 on board. A 16 boat is just as easy to launch and retrieve, will still fit in standard garage, gives you more space for rods, cool boxes, skis, wakeboards etc and crew, and is a more popular size when it comes time to sell.

A 14.5ft boat is not really big enough for 5 people to use comfortably. I agree with the opinion about a 16ft boat being easy to launch(I own a 16ft bass boat and regularly launch it by myself) as well as retrieve and believe me that 1.5ft makes a big difference.

Leisure boats imo only really start making sense at around the 17ft mark. You can then hang a big engine on the back which helps a lot with skiing and there is enough space for a good size cooler. Also you can fairly comfortably accommodate 6 people.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Thanks for the feedback guys, lets see if we get any more. Planning on going to see the 1450 on the weekend and will take cool box and ski's with then I think what you guys are saying will become a lot clearer.
    Rob

Imagine Comfortvan 2009

We have a Panache 1850 with a Yamaha 200 on the back.
    Panache's are arguably one of the best put together boats around and built with good quality materials. The yami on it is bulletproof, cant comment on the Mercury as have never dealt with one.

I agree with the other guys that the 1450 might be too small for 5 people though - this is usually the number we have on the 1850.Name:  FB_IMG_1580366363144.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  74.0 KB
    Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Can't go wrong with a panache .... however IMO the 90 is too light for a full day of water sport. For kids it's fine, but as soon as you have 80+ kg to get out the water, it's starts breathing heavily. But all panache boats are beautiful, so you're on the right track

Rob - my 2 Cents:

1) The 1450 is a VERY compact size, requiring a smaller outboard (cheaper and lighter), it will tow and launch like a dream.

2) Its small, I'd say at the max max 4 on board.

3) Scarce boat, the Panache 1450.

4) You want to fish with it....not really suitable, it has upholstery and a dry deck

5) Your son will be able to ski behind it now, but in a year or 2 he will want to slalom, tubewith his buddies, etc etc, and he will be MUCH bigger at 11/12 than he is now, just keep that in mind.

From what I read, maybe you should look at :

1) Something bigger. Not a huge 23 foot monster, but just bigger. A 17 Foot is still easy to tow/launch and a nice size for family I think

2) Something with a wet deck

..Look at the Escape 17 or similar maybe?? Google it. VERY niceand versatile boat.

....Or the Explorer 510 Side Console.

But ja, go have a peep at the 1450, a boat is a personal thing it must suit YOU.

Hi
    I had a 17ft 115 Mariner for many years (4 kids plus lots of friends), and have just upgraded to a 19ft 200, the space is amazing (grand children etc as well now)
    I think that the 1450 might suit your needs now, but before you know it, you will outgrow it. Austral make excellent boats and it is a good motor.
    You could get a trailer with a folding neck to suit your garage, if you went bigger
    Good luck!

I have just seen the post from Petri. I had the Aquascape 17, amazing boat if you can find a good one

Thanks for the solid feedback guys. Going with family, skis and cool box tomorrow.

Another option Im looking at is a Sable Craft 17 foot with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Just need to see if that can fit into garage.
    Rob

Imagine Comfortvan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by RobT View Post
    Thanks for the solid feedback guys. Going with family, skis and cool box tomorrow.

Another option Im looking at is a Sable Craft 17 foot with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Just need to see if that can fit into garage.
    Always a way.....Attachment 556432
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Always a way.....Attachment 556432
    Like others here I don't think you will gain much over the jets. We had a mallards classic 170 bow rider and although it could take i think 8-9 - even five starts to get crowded pretty quickly. Four was compfortable.

As for launching, frankly with a dam boat it does not really make any difference if it is 6ft or 23 ft. They are much of a muchness in terms of launching and retrieval. It not like you have to push it off the beach or through surf. I would say look at bigger if at all possible. 17-19 ft, and if you want to ski, try and go 150hp and up if you can stretch to it.

I have just gone from my rubber duck 4.9m with 2x40hp 2 strokes, to a much bigger boat with 2x90Hp suzuki lean burn and the newer boat i would say uses around 30% less fuel than the old much smaller lighter boat, so if you can find a good four stroke motor, it may well be worth the effort.

My mallards had a yamaha 2 stroke with a 60ltr built in tank. It would swallow that in a morning of modest use with a bit of skiing and dragging two tubes around, so fuel consumption can be a big expense.

Another cautionary tale. Once your kids are in school, literally every weekend is taken up with activities. We are in kyalami and the Vile River is our closest water source at around 1h15mins drive. SO this became impractical on Saturday and by the time church was done on Sunday it was also a non starter. We use our sea boat a lot more on holidays now, than we were using our dam boat on the weekends.

solid starter boat looks neat

If the purchase cost and condition is roughly the same this would be a better buy. Just on the engine alone you will save a shed load in fuel costs even though it is much more powerful.

To give you an idea. I have a 70HP two stroke on my boat and my friend has two 40HP four strokes on his boat. On a recent trip we compared fuel consumption between the two. He used on average 15L of fuel per day and I used 22L per day over a 5 day trip, however this was under conditions where neither of us were running at full throttle i.e. cruising just on the plane at around 3600RPM.

When you run at full throttle things change dramatically. His consumption on that day was 22L for the two engines and mine was an eye watering 47L. My boat is much lighter than his and far more streamlined and he had to really push his boat to try and keep up with me yet he used less than half the fuel.

Advantages of a four stroke over a 2 stroke other than fuel consumption also include much lower noise levels and the absence of needing 2 stroke oil. However a 2 stroke has a much better holeshot and I have yet to see a four stroke outrun a 2 stroke with the same power rating given similar boats, also in general a 2 stroke equipped boat will as a general rule be much cheaper to purchase in the secondhand market.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Defender RAW - current
    Series III 88 - sadly sold

VW Caravelle (wife)

KX450F #78
    KX 65 # 12

handmadeprojects.co.za

Hi all,

So we went down today to have a look and 2 sets of skis, cool box and 5 of us all fitted. And I suspect it would also fit into our garage.

Having said that there has been enough advise cautioning of it being too small. Im going to spend a bit more time looking for a 17 foot boat ideally with a 115hp four stroke motor.

Going to see if I can find a Panache as the build quality really is great.

Anyone have and idea which specific boat this is: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...60910009861609

Will keep this thread updated on progress.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,
    Rob

Imagine Comfortvan 2009

Hi all,

So we went down today to have a look and 2 sets of skis, cool box and 5 of us all fitted. And I suspect it would also fit into our garage.

Having said that there has been enough advise cautioning of it being too small. Im going to spend a bit more time looking for a 17 foot boat ideally with a 115hp four stroke motor.

Going to see if I can find a Panache as the build quality really is great.

Anyone have and idea which specific boat this is: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...60910009861609

Will keep this thread updated on progress.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,
    I think that is a wise choice. Despite being a lovely boat you will outgrow it quicker that you realise. I have a 18.5' Cabin and I run out of space rapidly.

I used to have a 16ft side console, once kids got a bit bigger we would run out of space with 5 on board, sure we'd all fit ok, even get 7 seated but once you start fishing people are bumping into each other.