2014 Isusu kb300 4x4 front wheel bearing replacement

Default 2014 Isusu kb300 4x4 front wheel bearing replacement

Good morning

I need help please, my front wheel bearings needs replacement

I started to feel the steering wheel "wobble" when braking and thout it must be the front brake disks, took it in for wheel allignment just to make sure its not a bad tyre or something and they pionted out that my front wheel bearings is done, the grabed the tyre top and bottom and there is play, i never event thought of this as this is a 2014 model +_ 200 000km on the clock (i have a 2005 model that never gave me symptoms of wheel bearing issues +_ 250 000km on the clock )

So this 4JJ1 being a 4x4 i am not sure if i can replace the wheel bearings on my own or do i need to take it in to do this? , another question i have is when i buy the wheel bearings do i need to buy a kit or just ask for the wheel bearings? and do the kit also have the needle bearing or is this something i have to buy seperatly ?

Thank you
    2005 Isuzu KB300 D/C Auto
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Default Re: 2014 Isusu kb300 4x4 front wheel bearing replacement

I removed mine at about 200000km cleaned and repacked them. Refitted . They where still in good condition. No pitting whatsoever. Ita really not a difficult job. Allow about an hour a side.

I drive the 2014 250. Every now and then I have to tighten the setting on the front wheel bearings. I can hear a change in sound when I go around a corner then I know its time

Are they certain it's the wheel bearings?

Grabbing and wiggling the tire top and bottom and feeling play usually indicates worn kingpin or ball-joints.
    Off-road: '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    On-road: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    Toy: '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB

If there's a vibration while braking, then there's a good chance your discs need to be replaced (common issue with the KB6 braking system). The wheel bearings are supposed to be cleaned, repacked and adjusted accordingly every 60 000km. More often than not, the guys doing this job at the dealer or independent workshops get the adjustment wrong. Jack the wheel up and spin it - if there's no "grinding" or rough feeling while it's spinning (put your hand on the upper control arm to feel while it's spinning) then you can probably get away with just adjusting the bearing. If this is the case, just repack the outer bearing while you're there. If needs to be replaced, then the wheel bearings come individually, as do the seals and the needle roller would be a separate item.

Replacing and repacking the wheel bearing is a fairly quick job. Replacing the needle roller is a much more involved job and requires the stub axle to be removed from the vehicle. It's worth replacing the grease on these bearings though. Also, check that the thrust washer here isn't warped. All this can be done by you at home with a few tools. Just make sure that you tighten everything properly, especially the caliper bolts. They're supposed to be tightened to 220nm.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by guido.e.koch View Post
    Are they certain it's the wheel bearings?

Grabbing and wiggling the tire top and bottom and feeling play usually indicates worn kingpin or ball-joints.
    Side to side generally indicates tie rod end or steering knuckles, but can also be very bad wheel bearing adjustment. Top and bottom generally indicates wheel bearing play and in some cases control arm bushes. Placing a lever under the wheel helps to check for ball joints.

Thank you guys, all the information helps a lot...

I guess i will learn as i go along, i have never done wheel bearings

I will go test as suggested by the knowledgeable people on this forum , How do i adjust the setting?
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kallie View Post
    How do i adjust the setting?
    There's a big round nut with a lock tab. There's a special tool to adjust the nut. Alternatively, you could use some screw drivers in a pinch to adjust here as well - one screw driver in each hole (two in total) and another that't put between the two to act as a lever to turn it. It does need to be a little tight, but not to the point of causing damage. You can use the same method to loosen the adjusting nut. The lock tab is held on with 3 little counter sunk screws. A good idea is to replace these with an allen headed type. And whatever you do, don't use a chisel to tighten the adjusting nut. You can't tell how tight it is that way.

Thumbs up Re: 2014 Isusu kb300 4x4 front wheel bearing replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mk3 View Post
    There's a big round nut with a lock tab. There's a special tool to adjust the nut. Alternatively, you could use some screw drivers in a pinch to adjust here as well - one screw driver in each hole (two in total) and another that't put between the two to act as a lever to turn it. It does need to be a little tight, but not to the point of causing damage. You can use the same method to loosen the adjusting nut. The lock tab is held on with 3 little counter sunk screws. A good idea is to replace these with an allen headed type. And whatever you do, don't use a chisel to tighten the adjusting nut. You can't tell how tight it is that way.
    thank you
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Please post picture as you progress. We all need to learn.
    Bearing numbers and sizes?
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Do the needle bearing while you are at it!

At your odo reading, they are due for replacement as well.

Wrt to the wheel bearings:

Fit Timken bearings. Not the cheapest ones.

Use the old bearings to knock the new bearing races into the hub. But remember to use the thick side towards the new bearing. Then you can knock them out with a punch when you have seated the new bearings. Make sure the new bearings are seated properly.

Sorry guys no pics , but it is straightforward as explained in the thread
    The weekend I was in a small town and we decided to give it a go
    the biggest hassle for me was the three screws holding the locking plate in place, on all of them the star head stripped and i had to get them off with a punch
    then i had to use the punch to get the old bearings out (btw the old bearings still looked ok but i am no professional and can't say the were )
    To get the locking nut off i used the star screwdriver in one of the holes and knocked it loose with the hammer ( i guess you need a special tool for this nut)
    Anyway i replaced them with part quip bearing kit as i was in a small town and that was the only bearings available, at least they had BNS crease that i used instead of the crease supplied with the bearing kit. The 4x4 only gets used for fishing and camping trips, so i will see how long the bearings will last.

Once again , thank you for the members that contributed
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4

Ok i guess these steps i followed will help someone else in future

Please guys correct me where i am wrong or if there are better ways of doing this

so if i remember correctly (it was warm and there where a few cold beers standing around )

To replace the bearings

You need to take of your free wheel hubs and for this you will need the following:
    22mm spanner to take off the brake caliper.
    allen key to take off the oil cap (i don't know what the correct name is for this )
    Medium size Philips screwdriver for the 3 taperhead screws holding the locking plate.
    circlip pliers to take off the circlip
    A pin punch and hammer to knock out the old bearings
    BNS grease (high temperature wheel bearing grease)
    And of course the wheel bearing kit

Take off the caliper and use a wire or rope attached to the frame to hold it up as not to damage the rubber pipe for brake fluid
    Take off the oil cap by loosening the allen key bolts
    Loosen the three screws holding the locking plate
    Take off the circlip and washer then take off the locking plate and unscrew the locking nut with special tool in the two holes or use a star screwdriver in one hole and knock it loose with a hammer
    The whole assembly will come off.
    Tap out the bearing cones from the middle on both sides using a pin punch. on the middle inside of the hub assembly there are two nice cut-outs 180 degrees apart for you to get to the bearing cones.
    Clean everything prior to reassembling.
    To grease the bearing prior to fitting, place a large lump of grease in the palm of your wrong hand. Grab the cone with the rollers with the other, and knock the bearing into the grease until the grease comes out the other side of the rollers.Then turn it on its side and push it into the crease to get the crease into the rollers.
    To fit the outer cones, use the old outer cones to tap on using a very light hammer. Tap on the THIN side of the old bearing meaning the thick side is towards the bearing, cause if you don't you're going to have problems removing the old cone, as they sometimes get stuck in the casing with the new cone.Also use the old outer cone to fit the seal after putting in the inner cone!!
    Put a nice thick layer of grease on the installed outer cones before putting the inner cones on.
    To tighten the assembly, after putting everything back together. Turn the locking ring with the special tool until it becomes tight. Grab the brake disc and spin the wheel. You will feel the lock ring go loose again.keep on spinning and tightening until you cannot tighten it anymore.By this time there should be no play on the brake disc if you grab it at the top and push/pull it. Line up the locking plate holes and tighten the screws, fit the washer and circlip and put the oil cap back on.
    2014 Isuzu Kb300 4x4