BFG underinflating caused delamination of sidewalls? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: BFG underinflating caused delamination of sidewalls?

I think maybe get BFG's HO involved, I remember some customers taking their vehicles straight to Bridgestone/Firestone and Continental HO when they weren't happy with our failure reports. Things must have changed since then as we use to do some goodwill claims also.

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I am liking my non-BFG tyres even more after reading your thread on the blowout!

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ted?highlight=

I prefer to deflate on gravel and will cope with punctures.

I have previously fitted BFG's.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2020/02/06 at 09:56 AM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    What speed did you drive on your tyres deflated to 1.7?

The damage to sidewalls occur due to heat, and heat is generated by speed. This softens the rubber and ultimately can cause a blowout for obvious reasons. It doesn't matter if you're on sand or tar, the faster you go the more heat you generate and the more damage you do to ANY underinflated tyre. You can't do long distances and high speeds on deflated tyres.

It is just not scientifically possible to drive at say, 140km/h on an under inflated tyre for 300km. Heat will be generated and the sidewall will steadily be compromised.
    Compare that to driving at 30km/h for 300km. Less heat will be generated and less damage to the sidewall will happen.
    Low range 4x4 in sand thro Moremi...
    Max 40kph but mostly 20kph

I wonder what training these reps received from their mother companies? Are they taught to exaggerate speed vs pressure, or do they actually know zip about the physics involved? Do they know the meaning of 4x4, outside Sandton, involving some dirt? They certainly act as though they will lose 3 months salary for every faulty tyre they approve for a refund.

The rep I saw about my cracked BFGs was probably a perfect salesman, but was clueless when it came to practicalities, quoting too low pressures. There was no shortage of arrogance. These reps must really be proud of the numerous visitors encountered in Namibia, who are convinced that one only needs to engage 4x4 after getting stuck, and who have to consult a dictionary when the word "deflate" is mentioned.

So eventually I have a response from BFG

They are recommending sticking to the vehicle manufacturers tyre pressures.
    In my opinion this make BFG AT KO2 unsuitable for any serious off road work and esp not for overlanding.
    These Issues I have never experienced before on a variety of tyres.

Her are their recommendations... I cannot find a way to attach the whole report here.

Recommendations:

• • Respect the recommended pressures provided by the manufacturer and adapt pressures in accordance with load and speed with which the vehicle will be operated at.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    adapt pressures in accordance with load and speed with which the vehicle will be operated at.

This is 100% correct. You can't do 40km/h on 0.8 bar rubber, the sidewalls will heatup and eventually disintegrate.
    Lower the pressure, the lower your maximum speed.

From:https://www.bfgoodrich.co.za/auto/he...e/faq-4wd-tips

"At BFGoodrich Tires South Africa, we recommend that you carry a quality tyre pressure gauge and drop your tyre pressures by 0.3 Bar at a time until you reach your optimal footprint on the sand that you're driving in. We advise not to drop your tyre pressures to under 1.4 Bar. By dropping your tyre pressure, you're increasing the tyre's footprint on sand, increasing the area of contact between your vehicle and the road.Avoid driving back to town to reinflate your tyres. If you don't have an air compressor, we recommend that you drive very slowly and not long distances to ensure that your tyres don't overheat. At 1.4 Bar you don't want to be going any faster than 25kmh."

Any tyre, not just BFG, will have it's structural integrity compromised beyond these guidelines.

Last edited by xdoomx; 2020/03/06 at 12:56 PM.
    - Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014 (Cooper Discover P285/70/17 // Mickey Thompson Sidewinder II's // Teraflex 2" levelling kit // Renegade front/rear steel bumpers)
    - (SOLD 2017/03) Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLE 4x2 Manual 2005 (Falken Landair 31/10.5/15)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xdoomx For This Useful Post:

This is 100% correct. You can't do 40km/h on 0.8 bar rubber, the sidewalls will heatup and eventually disintegrate.

"At BFGoodrich Tires South Africa, we recommend that you carry a quality tyre pressure gauge and drop your tyre pressures by 0.3 Bar at a time until you reach your optimal footprint on the sand that you're driving in. We advise not to drop your tyre pressures to under 1.4 Bar. By dropping your tyre pressure, you're increasing the tyre's footprint on sand, increasing the area of contact between your vehicle and the road.Avoid driving back to town to reinflate your tyres. If you don't have an air compressor, we recommend that you drive very slowly and not long distances to ensure that your tyres don't overheat. At 1.4 Bar you don't want to be going any faster than 25kmh."

Any tyre, not just BFG, will have it's structural integrity compromised beyond these guidelines.

With 1.4 Bar as the lowest recommended pressure, they cover their ass. 1.4 is not low enough in very sandy conditions. My original BFGs were good enough at 1.0 Bar on sand, all day. Obviously at slower speed. My later ones cracked on the inside sidewall, with less off-road use than the original set. They are not proper 4x4 tyres any more, hence their CYA of min 1.4 Bar

Have you ever done sand driving, like Kaudom or Namib dunes? How do you go up a proper dune at 25 km/h
    I have often done speeds of 100 - 120 km/h at 1.5 bar for hours with the tyre getting quite warm, but not hot. 40 km/h on a 1.4 bar tyre should certainly not cause a tyre to overheat to the point of self destruction unless it's a very low profile tyre not suited for offroad driving at all.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Well this explains why my BFG's had severe sidewall cracking after our Kgalagadi trip.
    0.9 to 1.1 bar between all camps. That's 1100km at 40km/h.

But I think all 3 ply tires will have this problem.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Well this explains why my BFG's had severe sidewall cracking after our Kgalagadi trip.
    0.9 to 1.1 bar between all camps. That's 1100km at 40km/h.

But I think all 3 ply tires will have this problem.
    Different strokes for different folks, as they say, but really 0.9 to 1.1 bar in Kgalagadi?! Those calcrete patches around mpayathutlhwa pan etc., will finish off any tyre at that pressure. (or lack of pressure)
    There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise

I have done a Namib dune trip on BF`s at 0.8. Luderitz to Walvis. Done speeds of up to 60km/h on the last beach section to Walvis. Got close to 100km/h storming some dunes. That set did 80k km with no problems. Run BF`s on both Cruisers at 1.6 one set approaching 70k km with no ill effects.

Have driven BF`s for many km`s in dunes at 0.6 never had a problem.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3