Poor Follow Up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poor Follow Up

Default Poor Follow Up

Moved to SA from Europe a bit over a year ago. Found many wonderful things in SA.

One thing I donít understand:

businesses and their god-awful follow up. Iíve lived in 5 countries. South Africa takes the cake for businesses that do not call people back, do not follow up, do not show up for appointments.

Why is it so hard Has it always been this way? Is it getting worse? The economy is in the toilet. Businesses can not afford to have crap customer service.

Old axiom: if you donít take care of your customers, someone else will.

rant over.

Default Re: Poor Follow Up

So I'm not the only one to experience this!
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Welcome to (South) Africa, Mate!

This has been like that since pa fell off the bus. There is no such thing as customer service in this Country - and it is us, the customers fault: The majority of us grew up with shoddy service, we are used to it, but we were also brought up to be "well mannered" and "nice to others". So the general idea is that you are being nasty if you complain. So everyone rather shuts up and goes elsewhere in the hope of finding better service. Which compounds the problem.

We only have ourselves to blame.
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

It is an ongoing mission to get people/companies to respond.

You send emai.
    Follow up with a call (please check your mail)
    Then a Whatsapp message to find out what is happening.
    Another email as reminder.
    Kobus

Nissan

South African web hosting companies seem to be unaware that you can host a website anywhere in the world. I gave up on them years ago. Sure, you get lucky and might be connected with someone who knows what they are doing, but it is not consistent. Yes, I have asked for and been promised call backs and never received them.

The internet is on 24/7/365 worldwide, so the customer support of a related company/service should also be, if you don't want to be left behind.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/01/28 at 12:39 PM.
    Naes-Landy = Nice-Landy = Sean-Landy. At least just my name is backwards, like me, as Ydnal would be weird.

1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

You might get some insights here, particularly from the poll

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...45#post4182745
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

If somebody says that the will call back and they actually call it is better to go and check if it is snowing.

You need a plumber, electrician, builder.... All moan "Not enough work" but will they come and give a price

During the last couple weeks I contacted several suppliers of different items. Only one answered and did get the order. In other cases I ordered or bought the items from other places.

Local sayings:
    Now now
    Just now
    One second

Do not bother take a stop watch to check. Ask which year it will be.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    If somebody says that the will call back and they actually call it is better to go and check if it is snowing.

You need a plumber, electrician, builder.... All moan "Not enough work" but will they come and give a price

During the last couple weeks I contacted several suppliers of different items. Only one answered and did get the order. In other cases I ordered or bought the items from other places.

Local sayings:
    Now now
    Just now
    One second

Do not bother take a stop watch to check. Ask which year it will be.
    I will respond to this now now
    Using Tapatalk

Exclamation Re: Poor Follow Up

I need a small area paved for our above ground pool, called 8 paving companies! Prestige was here in two hours, gave me a very reasonable quote and a good idea, as their min area charge is for 20 sqm.
    With the exception of one who will remain nameless, all said, no cant be bothered with such a small job, the other who was supposed to come out yesterday to quote, never pitched, and when I enquired why not, it was Oh he had a BIG job to go to
    Prestige starts on Monday!
    I take parts in for plating, it's been over a week, and nothing! Oh but they're dirty, or there is paint on them So what, I'm paying you to do the job! Stop complaining and get on with it! On that front, today I bought a small sandblast cabinet, and on Tuesday I'm going to get my own plating set up! One less whingeing supplier to put up with!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

I find it amazing that people choose to push away potential work. Maybe they are doing great and know something we don't.

When I was doing my suspension I called 4 places. One place sent me a price over whatsapp, no breakdown of products specified, no descriptions or warranty details. Not even the brand quoted, just soma a price. He also treated me like dirt, even asking what's the point in doing it on my bakkie. Just cos it's not a Landcruiser or Patrol...

Second place didn't even send a quote, I called twice and emailed a few times. Nothing.

Third place just didn't return my calls, I waited for the area sales manager to contact me but nothing.

Fourth place sent the quote within an hour, full breakdown etc and helped me understand a few things over the phone. So I went with them and have been very happy. I could have easily gone with some of the other brands, but my choice was limited not due to reviews, but the dealers.

If I struggle to purchase a product from somebody, then I am going to go somewhere else. Imagine trying to do a returns or claim with them if you struggle to give them money.... Getting money or a return will be next to impossible.

I also think this proud haughty demeanor of some shop owners is rediculous.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

As a general feeling one has to agree that getting a reply takes time, I try to respond to my potential clients as quick as I can , give as much information as I can, AND often this does not lead to a sale , but believe me if something does go wrong on the service provided you are last in the Que to be called , they will call the importer to complain, use social media to complain, moan and bitch, and often they are the one that did not listen to the explanation ,did something wrong but its not there fault .
    Going to say something else , you make one call , the supplier is in for lots to all the inquiries , so just maybe he has to make a call on who to respond to regarding the question asked. I have a advert running for shop soiled pit bikes , Cant tell you how many inquiries I get for them to be used as a delivery bike , A pit bike is a small off-road only bike , the enquirer does not even know what he wants to buy , the price just seems affordable , and there is a photo of the bikes posted on the add
    All said and done, we want it done now, want the answers asap, maybe be nice , call the guy and ask , sure they will wan to help . I try my best to help, cant always get to everybody and thing go wrong , but such is life .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Our Union system has a lot to blame with bad customer service. When you have a "job for life" no one can fire you, can and in many, not all cases, i can get away with doing as little as possible.
    In other countries, there are 50 or so people that can take your job immediately, here you are protected.
    Ok a bit over the top, but still plays an important part for the bad service. There are naturally other factors, bad management and all that yadda as well.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Moved to SA from Europe a bit over a year ago. Found many wonderful things in SA.

businesses and their god-awful follow up. Iíve lived in 5 countries. South Africa takes the cake for businesses that do not call people back, do not follow up, do not show up for appointments.

Why is it so hard Has it always been this way? Is it getting worse? The economy is in the toilet. Businesses can not afford to have crap customer service.

rant over.
    Must say I do agree. Just yesterday I were busy completing a tender document. Were waiting for some prices since last week and Wednesday. Numerous mails and calls to a company who is the sole importer of the product. Still waiting.

Being in love with American v8`s I have ordered several spares form the States. Always excellent service. Some of them still keeping contact with me. Try to import 4x4 stuff from Australia what a bad experience. They are worst than our SAFFERS.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

If you think follow up on inquiries are bad, wait till you have to deal with a badly done job, or a broken item, or warranty claim, or a refund.

I often found that to be the biggest problem. Quick to take money, not quick to sort out issues. The ones that do, they are the ones that gets my money for life.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    If you think follow up on inquiries are bad, wait till you have to deal with a badly done job, or a broken item, or warranty claim, or a refund.

I often found that to be the biggest problem. Quick to take money, not quick to sort out issues. The ones that do, they are the ones that gets my money for life.
    'Forget' to pay SARS and other bills and it's amazing how quick they follow up with you.

Now I'm not trying to justify bad service, not at all, but wouldn't you too give up and not bother providing the level of service you should while living in a country that has such a high cost of living, among other problems? I mean why should I bother working my arse into the ground to provide service people are often ungrateful for only to get paid peanuts, and then I still have to give most of those peanuts away in the form of bills, tax, etc.

The food and coffee probably leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't think I've ever had bad service at Wimpy, or any petrol station in SA, the kind that would make me want to run for the hills.

Point is, there are still pockets of excellent service in South Africa, it's just unfortunate that they are just that, pockets, and not the norm. At least I'm trying to look at the big picture.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/01/28 at 02:34 PM.
    Naes-Landy = Nice-Landy = Sean-Landy. At least just my name is backwards, like me, as Ydnal would be weird.

1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

So awhile back last year I posted regarding a broken coolant tank for a Toyota Camry and got sufficient direction to start asking for the part. Numerous independents and scrap yard companies and, the Agents themselves.

I received the part within 7 days and fitted it the same day it was received. However, I am still waiting for answers from every single enquiry I made locally, including the Agents. I thought let me hedge my bets and order one from the US.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Here I am, stuck without a pc and IT trying to resolve it since Friday.

I hope my clients understand
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post

Why can't you use your phone to mail them and explain you are currently experiencing technical difficulties and will be up and running soon.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post

rant over.
    then don't move to Pretoria, you'll kill yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post

You posting via telepathy
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast