New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution?? - Page 5





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 81 to 88 of 88
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    665
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    How can the WRND DC to DC 20A charger be half the price (~R2000) vs HCDP DC to DC 20A (~R4000)?

    The only differences I can see is the HCDP is “waterproof”, but there’s nothing stopping me putting the WRND in a IP68 enclosure for much less than R2000?!

    I would love a side by side comparison of the following for brands/matching products:
    WRND
    HCDP
    NL
    CTEK

    Does anyone know if this has been done?
    There you go

    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ger-Comparison

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teryos For This Useful Post:


  3. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    948
    Thanked: 67

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    How can the WRND DC to DC 20A charger be half the price (~R2000) vs HCDP DC to DC 20A (~R4000)?

    The only differences I can see is the HCDP is “waterproof”, but there’s nothing stopping me putting the WRND in a IP68 enclosure for much less than R2000?!

    I would love a side by side comparison of the following for brands/matching products:
    WRND
    HCDP
    NL
    CTEK

    Does anyone know if this has been done?
    I want to mount my WRND in a waterproof enclosure but is afraid of overheating,what do you think?
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  4. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,442
    Thanked: 213

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Just to add to this

    the most important part to consider is "input voltage activation"

    National Luna stuff tends to only kick in and start charging when the input is above 13.5 v
    many modern vehicles will sit and charge at 13.2 once up and running, this means the NL will be "unlatched" the vehciles ecu will do a brief spurt to up the charging voltage at 14,5 post start and then once the main battery is replenshied from the first start the alernator demand is reduced to be more fuel efficient and allow smart control, this means the NL box isnt being charged

    please make sure your vehciles CONSTANT ie over HOURS of driving alternator output is enough to trigger this NL box

    Ask me how I know ?
    My Pajero would test fine but on the long road it would unlatch, then the same with my hemi jeep, I bypassed the circuitry in the NL box and effectively paralled my batteries to save the day

    Just please check your vehciles alternator output is enough to run the new NL box

    other than price it looks convenient

  5. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,352
    Thanked: 296

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    Just to add to this

    the most important part to consider is "input voltage activation"

    National Luna stuff tends to only kick in and start charging when the input is above 13.5 v
    many modern vehicles will sit and charge at 13.2 once up and running, this means the NL will be "unlatched" the vehciles ecu will do a brief spurt to up the charging voltage at 14,5 post start and then once the main battery is replenshied from the first start the alernator demand is reduced to be more fuel efficient and allow smart control, this means the NL box isnt being charged

    please make sure your vehciles CONSTANT ie over HOURS of driving alternator output is enough to trigger this NL box

    Ask me how I know ?
    My Pajero would test fine but on the long road it would unlatch, then the same with my hemi jeep, I bypassed the circuitry in the NL box and effectively paralled my batteries to save the day

    Just please check your vehciles alternator output is enough to run the new NL box

    other than price it looks convenient
    Thanks for the tip. Seems like NL thought about that and has included an ignition detection/override cable that you connect to somthing that gets switched on with the ignition.
    The voltages then drop as can be seen in this table.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:


  7. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,850
    Thanked: 179

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    How can the WRND DC to DC 20A charger be half the price (~R2000) vs HCDP DC to DC 20A (~R4000)?

    The only differences I can see is the HCDP is “waterproof”, but there’s nothing stopping me putting the WRND in a IP68 enclosure for much less than R2000?!

    I would love a side by side comparison of the following for brands/matching products:
    WRND
    HCDP
    NL
    CTEK

    Does anyone know if this has been done?
    You can add the Victron products and maybe the Benton as well
    I found the Ctek a bit sensitive to heat and it blew.
    The Victron charger mounted same place and already exceeded the Ctek lifespan with about a year and it was cheaper.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  8. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,190
    Thanked: 917

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    How can the WRND DC to DC 20A charger be half the price (~R2000) vs HCDP DC to DC 20A (~R4000)?

    The only differences I can see is the HCDP is “waterproof”, but there’s nothing stopping me putting the WRND in a IP68 enclosure for much less than R2000?!

    I would love a side by side comparison of the following for brands/matching products:
    WRND
    HCDP
    NL
    CTEK

    Does anyone know if this has been done?
    i think a lot of this stuff sells purely on the known name. The price National Luna charges for the “smart” solenoid is also ridiculous. It’s just a cole hersee 80 or 100AMP solenoid wired to a timed relay..... really not sure what’s smart about that, and you can have an original cole hersee solenoid and a timer relay for a 3rd of three price if it’s not in a National Luna box.

    ctek the same story. They were the first on the market and suddenly everyone needed a smart charger. But you can now buy a decent MPPT solar smart charger for 20 or 30 Amp for R2000.00, and it will even let you monitor your batteries with your smartphone. But someone will soon be along to say they aren’t meant for automotive applications and can’t handle the vibrations etcetc.....

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:


  10. #87
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanked: 647

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    i think a lot of this stuff sells purely on the known name. The price National Luna charges for the “smart” solenoid is also ridiculous. It’s just a cole hersee 80 or 100AMP solenoid wired to a timed relay..... really not sure what’s smart about that, and you can have an original cole hersee solenoid and a timer relay for a 3rd of three price if it’s not in a National Luna box.

    ctek the same story. They were the first on the market and suddenly everyone needed a smart charger. But you can now buy a decent MPPT solar smart charger for 20 or 30 Amp for R2000.00, and it will even let you monitor your batteries with your smartphone. But someone will soon be along to say they aren’t meant for automotive applications and can’t handle the vibrations etcetc.....

    Well, not everybody is "clever" with electrics, so we have to go on reputation.



  11. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,850
    Thanked: 179

    Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

    If you shop around you can find a 15 Amp Victron IP65 7 stage smart charger between R2000-2500 - with Bluetooth
    Seen some people selling them for R3500
    A Benton goes a bit cheaper and does the same job.

    Good quality Solar panels of 100 Watts go for R700 to R2000 excluding VAT - same brand name at both shops.
    I stepped into this one and put up a fight at one of our well known outdoor shops - they took the panel back as it was still in the box.
    Got two for their price of one and had change

    A Victron MPPT 100/15 controller goes for between R1 200 to R3 000 - with Bluetooth you add about R600.
    At SetSolar Pta you could buy MPPT 100/15 just under R1k early 2019 when they cleared stock.
    I bought two then, should have bought a 100/30 as well as it was R1500 on special.
    They cost a bit more now.

    Some outdoor places only carry a specific well know brand at a inflated price.

    It all depends where you buy.
    Look at 4x4Direct.co.za, SetSolar.co.za, Waveinn and Takealot - watch out for specials.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •