New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution?? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: New NL Battery Box - The All in One Solution??

I tried most options, my NL lasted 3 trips relay failure, I finally settled on the lithium 440 pack, 220 v x2 with full sine inverter, usb and 12 v. Charged mains and car. It runs my freezer for two days. Unlike any acid battery can be discharged to zero with no harm. All in the space of 3/2 acid battery.
    Tahja77

Quote Originally Posted by Tahja77 View Post
    I tried most options, my NL lasted 3 trips relay failure, I finally settled on the lithium 440 pack, 220 v x2 with full sine inverter, usb and 12 v. Charged mains and car. It runs my freezer for two days. Unlike any acid battery can be discharged to zero with no harm. All in the space of 3/2 acid battery.
    Tahja77
    I forgot about this, great product...good option for R8k.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Well I got two of these newly released NL green battery boxes for our work Bakkies in December and so far they work really great! I sometimes have to charge measuring equipment in the veld. Now they only need to add about a 800Watt inverter and it will be a perfect power pack. I had to add that separately to get the 220VAC. And off cause the batteries in the boxes too, got 115's here from Outdoor. I also got two NL intelligent battery chargers to keep the boxed fully charged when in storage. These plug neatly into the green boxes. All nice and neat....Just my 2c worth...
    Thanks
    Johan Cloete

I went and build my own, originally started as a bet and cost of the NL box was just to much.
    (had to get something to keep things cold in the fridge in something like 3 days)
    Over many years it evolved to what I have now.

Those days a Pioneer plastic battery box cost R100, some wire and plugs, fuses, a NL solenoid under the bonnet and away we went.
    Today has a few outputs and build in solar controller.
    Adding up excluding the battery, Victron IP65 Charger and NL Solenoid cost today could be less than R2000.
    Plus had plenty pleasure building it and winning the bet.

Recently added the Victron IP65 charger (expensive!!) as the one fridge now stays in the bakkie all the time.
    At home connect to 220V
    Mounted a 100 Watt solar panel on the canopy and it keeps the battery going when parked
    (since the 100 Watt solar was added never had a issue with low battery when camping with no 220V)

RED BH => from Solenoid
    BLUE BH => Solar panel input
    GREY BH => Load (fridge)
    Hella plug
    Cigarette plug
    2 x USB charge points
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Petri the NL unit is perfect for your needs. Just hard wire each vehicle from the main battery to a Brad Harrison plug in the rear and you are good to go. They you buy your solar panels and have a BH plug fitted to them. I have done the same but with an Hcdp power pack. Makes versatility between vehicles very easy
    This is the best advice for HIS needs.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Guys sorry I know this is a stupid question...…...do I hardwire a car to this Battery Box from the Primary battery or the Alternator (because this has a dc-dc charger)…..??
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Guys sorry I know this is a stupid question...…...do I hardwire a car to this Battery Box from the Primary battery or the Alternator (because this has a dc-dc charger)…..??
    From your primary battery terminals (your alternator is already wired to your primary battery)
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/02/04 at 01:40 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) old and wise at 844 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD reaching puberty at 103 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    From your primary battery terminals (your alternator is already wired to your primary battery)
    Shot thanks, just wanted to make sure. I think the "fixed" (in engine bay) dc-dc's (CTek??) are connected to the alternator, think so, I think they have an "Alt" inlet too.

I had one of Manie's boxes and sold it because i could not live with the noise of the fan kicking in every few minutes.
    I am also planning to get the NL box (seems like wire is included to run from the battery) with one of these batteries:
    https://www.takealot.com/blue-nova-l...t/PLID60693611

Yes it is expensive but should hopefully last me a few years.

Battery.

The reason for the new DC-DC chargers instead if simply using a solenoid, is that with the newer vehicles, the alternators are not strong enough (well, enough voltage) to correctly charge the secondary batteries. So you'd connect it to the battery itself.

Shot thanks, just wanted to make sure. I think the "fixed" (in engine bay) dc-dc's (CTek??) are connected to the alternator, think so, I think they have an "Alt" inlet too.
    Petri, ALL of the instucton is is the manual. Even I understood it.

I think you must buy the cable (and connector to primary battery and BH) sperately - but it may have changed?

I have the old NL power pack and added all the stuff the new one has on if I had to make call I would say, buy it and it will serve you well.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    I did the following:

https://4x4direct.co.za/battery-boxe...ttery-box.html
    +
    https://4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-cha...110661867.html
    +
    https://4x4direct.co.za/home-charger...y-charger.html
    +
    105AH Battery
    +
    Cabling - R1000 approx - Wired myself (except the main cable from primary battery to boot) - I was too lazy
    Have done the same but just use the Midas Intelligent Charger https://www.midas.co.za/pebble.asp?relid=1739&t=75 . I've cut off the ring connectors and replaced it with a red Brad Harris and plug it in on the Red power input on the box - no need to bother with clamps.

My WRND is attached to the back of the box and is wired for DC and Solar input.

Also connected a dual voltage meter which is placed next to the gear shift so that I can monitor charging whilst driving for crank and aux batteries(or where is best for your vehicle).

Total cost (battery included/excluding wiring from main battery) - R3000 (NL box was on a special at 4x4Direct at the time).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image7-Small.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	557098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1-Small.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	557099  
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Hoe lui daai Gesegde??

Just when I thought I knew the Answers they changed all the Questions...……….

https://www.takealot.com/lithium444-...r/PLID53187537

Bear in mind that it only has a 40Ah battery.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

I know that you want a ready made system.

It is still early days but if you read this thread https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-battery-build

You will need a housing, 4 cells, a bms, solar controller and hella plugs, andersons etc. This is the route I will take going forward if the cells prove to be effective. I imagine you could ask the supplier to build you a pack / solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I bought this https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...er-pack-1/6424

and added my ctekd250s plus an inverter to it. Wired for both my vehicles. Much more reasonable especially if you add the wrnd option.

Did you manage to fit the DC to DC charger into the same box?
    Toyota - 2 LED Interior Light

My 2 cents worth. We bought what must have been the first version of this NL Battery Box in 2015. It only had the Distribution Board on the front and cost R2500. We added a CTek 250 bolted on the back and ran heavy duty cable from the engine battery to a BH plug hidden under the back seat and a 90 AH Lead Crystal battery - the total cost was around R7500 thanks to the CTek. The CTek also needs a temperature sensor inside the battery box. Be careful of putting the CTek 250 inside the engine compartment as it is heat sensititive, especially with hot ambient temperatures.Additional power input is from 2x 80W PV cells and the great joy of this sytem is that we can leave the car for days and keep the fridge/freezer on normal cold (we are hikers and a cold beer is esential on return).We chose this box becuse of the position of Distribution Board which is very easy to access and to modify, the older NL Battery Box with the side mounted Board would have been more difficult - we have it on the floor behind the drivers seat. since new we have done Baviaans Kloof, Namibia twice and Botswana once, Namibia and Botswana were each for 2 months and the system worked perfectly.If you are adding a DC-AC inverter then be aware that computers and chargers do ot like stepped sine wave inverters, we have blown several chargers. Better to use a pure sine wave version, more expensive but electronics prefer them.If you are looking for someone to help build a system then I recommend Jacques at Bush Power ([email protected]), he is an expert.Good luck

This is seriously overpriced.
    4x4 Direct prices:
    NL battery box R2,200
    WRND DC-DC charger with MTTP solar regulator R2,050
    Total R4,250 vs R8,999 for the same functionality.

How can the WRND DC to DC 20A charger be half the price (~R2000) vs HCDP DC to DC 20A (~R4000)?

The only differences I can see is the HCDP is “waterproof”, but there’s nothing stopping me putting the WRND in a IP68 enclosure for much less than R2000?!

I would love a side by side comparison of the following for brands/matching products:
    WRND
    HCDP
    NL
    CTEK

Does anyone know if this has been done?
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +27-829324043

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast