Win7 to Win10 Upgrades - Legal ?

Default Win7 to Win10 Upgrades - Legal ?

Hi All,

Will the Windows 10 O/S that is currently on computers that upgraded for free from Windows 7 be legal in the case of a Microsoft Audit ?

The Microsoft S/N still points to Windows 7 on the stickers on the physical pc's/desktops.

If you need to reinstall Windows 10 on one of those computers above, will you then do a fresh Win10 install using the Activation key that were extracted from Windows 10 before the re-installation? ... or will you have to load Win7 first and then upgrade again to Win 10 ?

Is the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still available ? ...or do you need to buy the package for those Win7 machines that did not do the FREE upgrade to Windows 10 ?

Thanks for your input.

Default Re: Win7 to Win10 Upgrades - Legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Urk View Post
    Hi All,

Will the Windows 10 O/S that is currently on computers that upgraded for free from Windows 7 be legal in the case of a Microsoft Audit ?

The Microsoft S/N still points to Windows 7 on the stickers on the physical pc's/desktops.

If you need to reinstall Windows 10 on one of those computers above, will you then do a fresh Win10 install using the Activation key that were extracted from Windows 10 before the re-installation? ... or will you have to load Win7 first and then upgrade again to Win 10 ?

Is the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still available ? ...or do you need to buy the package for those Win7 machines that did not do the FREE upgrade to Windows 10 ?

Thanks for your input.

As recently as a few months ago, I upgraded Win7 to Win10 for one of the other members. The upgrade is from the Microsoft website itself, so it is perfectly legal. They just keep it a bit hidden.

It is quite a big download so do it from a fibre modem and not over the air. It works best if you can link your PC or laptop directly to the router with a cable.
    Last edited by Ian.McM; 2020/01/27 at 05:13 PM.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

If you did the upgrade from a valid W7 system then it will be legal.

If you re-install a fresh W10, and keep the components mostly the same, it will should activate. Use the USB install tool from Microsoft for this. Here

You don't need to install W7 and upgrade no.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2020/01/27 at 05:19 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

A lot of people and companies are still upgrading.

Apparently the the upgrade tool still works for Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10. The free/forced upgrade that was pushed down to Windows 7 and 8 machines was stopped due to complaints.

The FAQ's in the link below say you need a license but apparently it is still the old Windows upgrade tool and verification servers that use your old license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Default Win7 to Win10 Upgrades - Legal ?

You get assigned a new peoduct key (automatically by MS) when upgrading as indicated above. You will thus end up with one for W7 and W10 both linked to the same PC.

Just use a utility like Produkey to extract the new Win10 code after the upgrade.

Website to download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 . select "Create Windows 10 installation media"
    Last edited by Gelände; 2020/01/27 at 09:08 PM.

I stand to be corrected, but while the upgrade from MS is 'legal', I mean, it is offered by them on their website, I am sure I've read on sysadmin groups that it will not pass an audit. Business licenses are not upgradeable as far as I recall.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    I stand to be corrected, but while the upgrade from MS is 'legal', I mean, it is offered by them on their website, I am sure I've read on sysadmin groups that it will not pass an audit. Business licenses are not upgradeable as far as I recall.
    Thanks ! I Suspected that....

I tried the free upgrade from Windows 7 via Internet. Download went fine but upon installing it failed and reverted back to 7. Tried a 2nd time with the same story.

Took it to a PC shop in Pta North 2 weeks ago and they did it for me at R650 service fee. I do own a legal copy of 7 Pro with CD, envelope and 25 bit code so there was no issues to upgrade to 10 Pro, they used the same key and all went as smooth as can be, I still can't believe it. Get security updates from Microsoft and all seem 100% so far.

Even my old MapSource, Garmin 276C, Video Edit Program, Printer, Security camera etc and a lot of others are working 100%. Expected a lot of pain but nothing. All my data is on a 2nd drive with a complete backup on an external drive. Before the upgrade I cloned the existing SSD C-drive to the old SATA C-drive just in case and then disconnected the SATA. Still there and no reason to fall back.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2020/01/28 at 05:18 PM.

100% legal. Otherwise Microsoft would have been stopped.

Even the banks have run upgrades to Windows 10 on existing hardware.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

If you had a business related windows 7, such as pro, and upgraded via the normal route to windows 10 pro, there should be no reason that it would be deemed "illegal" after all it was done via a normal MS process.If they didn't allow it they wouldn't facilitate it themselves.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension 8)

Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    100% legal. Otherwise Microsoft would have been stopped.

Even the banks have run upgrades to Windows 10 on existing hardware.
    Again, I stand to be corrected, and obviously any company can do whatever they want, the upgrade iw available and can be applied to any machine, but I do not believe that this would pass an audit with MS, unless the software licenses were migrated under the SLA or whatever to Win10 at the same time.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Again, I stand to be corrected, and obviously any company can do whatever they want, the upgrade iw available and can be applied to any machine, but I do not believe that this would pass an audit with MS, unless the software licenses were migrated under the SLA or whatever to Win10 at the same time.
    Big companies who need to migrate onto Windows 10, will possibly do so under a more controlled manner with either hardware refresh (new hardware) or in-place upgrades of the OS when the hardware is still under warranty. This will be a major project due to business critical applications and services will need to be tested for compatibility and performance purposes prior to the deployment of Windows 10. Additional to that, there may be back-end infrastructure updates/upgrades required in order for Windows10 to be implemented and managed. My point is, with all of this, the device licensing in a big corporation will be managed via Microsoft Volume licensing agreements as part of the Windows10 refresh projects and will cover auditing requirements.

For us as general population with a small number of devices it is not an issue at all. As long as the current windows OS (7/8/8.1) is official, licensed and activated, then the upgrade done via the Microsoft website will remain legal (as it is provided by Microsoft via official portals) and the OS, once upgraded, will indicate it is activated. Windows 10 will insert a digital registration key on the device and will remain associated to that device even if you perform a full OS re-installation.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

I only upgraded from W7 Home to W10 Home a week ago using fibre.
    There were no hassles, no new product key, quite fast and so far running smooth.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    I only upgraded from W7 Home to W10 Home a week ago using fibre.
    There were no hassles, no new product key, quite fast and so far running smooth.
    There is a new product key - just not visible to end user. If you run produkey you will see its different from Win7 key.

I know about this and it is legal. Big corporate companies can do it. We set-up a WSUS server and the machines with legal copies automatically upgraded.

The machines that were not legal didnt upgrade and most of them got new W10 licences through procurement. This was about 2 years ago. Not too sure about it now.

I actually recall them stopping this free upgrade a while ago as it was only for a year period...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayna View Post
    I know about this and it is legal. Big corporate companies can do it. We set-up a WSUS server and the machines with legal copies automatically upgraded.

The machines that were not legal didnt upgrade and most of them got new W10 licences through procurement. This was about 2 years ago. Not too sure about it now.

I actually recall them stopping this free upgrade a while ago as it was only for a year period...
    Hi Wayne, "officially" Microsoft stopped the automatic free upgrade offering as it (at times) done without the owner/client's permission.
    You can still go the official and legal route via Microsoft and upgrade from the older OS to Windows 10. I did it last night for a friend of mine and worked like a treat. The once thing I really appreciated is that all other licensed software (office / photoshop etc) were transferred to the Windows10 OS so I did not have to reinstall anything. It just worked
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold