Botswana/ Zambia Kazungula border advice

Default Botswana/ Zambia Kazungula border advice

Hello, You all,

Hope you can give us some advice...
    We are going from Elephant Sands to Livingstone, so we have to use the ferry .... hmmm

First timers

Can you guys, give us some adive or tips and tools

Would be very helpfull.

We hired a South african 4x4 car and we are from the Netherlands, period is 4 th of july.
    Last edited by sylvia000; 2016/04/05 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Botswana/ Zambia Kazungula border advice

Some are talking about an easy border others are talking about a lot off hours...

Best info I came across at Kierie's description, copied from his Six Countries post ( 4x4 Community Forum > Overland > Overland advice, reports etc > Botswana Six Countries Comprehensive Trip Report (Solo Trip)- Botswana Part 1) repeated below since the link keep on directing to the wrong post.
    Follow this to the letter.

Aah… the day of the ferry.

Well, sorry to disappoint, but there is nothing sinister to report on. The help from this forum ensured that I knew what to expect and we cleared both sides in 1h30minutes. It is a bit of an adventure and the perfect way to enter Zambia.

We left Chobe Safari Lodge around 06:15am and soon arrived at the Botswana side of things. The process was a bit unusual when compared to other Bots entry/ exit points, in that we had to fill in an application to remove the vehicle from the SACU area, something like a TEP. Process is as follows…

Botswana side:
    · Arrive and Park at Botswana immigrations building
    · Fill in entry/ exit leaflet for each person
    · Drivers must sign the vehicle register at immigration
    · Get your passport stamped and ask for a gate pass for your vehicle
    · Obtain the temporary export permit application from customs
    · Fill out the TEP and hand back to customs
    · Sign the customs vehicle register
    · Get gate pass stamped
    · Leave the Botswana immigrations building
    · Hand in gate pass at exit boom when you drive out
    · Drive on and pass any heavy vehicles waiting on the side of the road
    · Drive on until you come to the large paved area on the water front
    · Keep to the LEFT to use the Botswana ferry flying the blue Botswana flag (Zambia ferries are in poor condition, but probably still safe to use). RIGHT side will get you on the Zambia owned one.
    · Drive right up to about 50m from the water’s edge
    · One truck and up to two light vehicle cross together
    · Ignore all touts and runners there are NO officials there, except for the ones on the ferry itself
    · The ferry manager will signal you to drive forward and then you park where he wants you to park.
    · Passengers to disembark and wait behind the vehicle, only the driver is allowed inside the car.
    · After the light vehicles are parked the ferry crew will signal for the heavy goods vehicle to come aboard
    · When the truck is loaded, the ferry will depart for the Zambia dock
    · Now exit your vehicle and move to the wheel house on deck where you pay Pula200 and get a receipt
    · When this is done you will have reached the Zambia side.
    · The ferry operator will signal to you when to drive off the ferry

Zambian Side:
    · Disembark from ferry and park to the front and left. Find a spot where you will not be parked in, because that will be a long wait.
    · Ignore the touts and runners
    · Walk straight up and find the large white plaster building on the right, normally with a queue protruding from its front entrance. It is marked “Immigration”
    · Fill in the entry form and note down the amount of days that you require. They only gave me 7 days in Zambia.
    · Get your passports stamped. It will indicate your date of exit.
    · Now backtrack to the front of this building and walk past the security and customs gate into Zambia, where you will find a number of shipping containers.
    · Find the shipping container selling insurance and buy insurance in Zam Kwachas. They do take dollars on the border post, but they don’t give change and the rate is bad.
    · Now proceed with your insurance paper back inside the border post area and walk to the back of the immigration building. As you enter past the security gate, turn left and walk towards the back. There is a foyer and you will see an extension of this building to the left. Inside there is an office with white uniformed officials sitting at wooden desks. This is not the admin building; this is where you get the TIP from customs. The officials are very friendly and they will help you if you get lost, they will give directions without scorn.
    · Wait in line until you are called over
    · Approach the official and ask for a TIP form. Have all your documents and insurance handy.
    · Fill out the form and hand back to him with all the paperwork required.
    · He will ask a few questions and then issue the TIP. Keep it safe.
    · Next step is to pay the carbon tax at the cashier inside the same office and take your receipt
    · Now proceed back towards the river
    · Next to the Police station, there is a building for Zambian Roads Authority
    · Enter this building and pay the toll fees in US Dollar. You will be issued with a Toll certificate.
    · Proceed to the building next door and pay the community levy in Zambian Kwacha. Take the receipt.
    · Now you have the TIP, insurance, toll certificate, carbon tax receipt and community levy receipt with you and your passports are stamped.
    · Walk to the exit gate and find the uniformed officials standing around the small hut to the left of the gate. Show them your paperwork and tell them that you are now leaving.
    · Go fetch your car and drive through.
    · Dodge the road works and you will soon reach the main tar road at a T junction

Welcome to Zambia!
    Last edited by Dzombo4; 2016/04/05 at 12:36 PM.
    The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
    Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
    Dzombo1 Ex Army LR TD upgraded to 200 Tdi
    Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300Tdi man
    Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC 3.0 Diesel a/t
    Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35
    Platkar 2017 Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Auto.
    Camping in a Bokwa.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzombo4 For This Useful Post:

We were advised to use the Zambian rather than the Botswana ferry as it is quicker. In January 2016 the Zambian operator was running 3 ferries, the Botswana one only a single ferry, hence quicker.

It also took us just over an hour.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Wow, thank you very much.
    This was the info I was hoping for.
    Thanks for taking the time for posting this, very helpfull

"Now backtrack to the front of this building and walk past the security and customs gate into Zambia, where you will find a number of shipping containers.
    · Find the shipping container selling insurance and buy insurance in Zam Kwachas. They do take dollars on the border post, but they don’t give change and the rate is bad.
    ·
    Now proceed with your insurance paper back inside the border post area and walk to the back of the immigration building."

We were told not to do this - that is, head into Zambia to purchase insurance before we had completed all of the paperwork. The police may stop you, and hassle you for being in Zambia without all of the required documentation - an excuse to fine you. Instead, we were told to insist that the insurance agent (you will be approached by at least one agent within the border area almost as soon as you get out of your vehicle) bring the paperwork to us within the border area, which we did without difficulty - they were happy to provide that service. We signed the paperwork within the border area (using the hood of our 4x4 as a desk) and paid the agent on the spot. In order to bring you the insurance paperwork, the agent will need your passport number and vehicle plate number.

Thanks Birdie,

A very good tip.
    I wrote everything down and take it with me, very helpfull

We crossed this border last month, on the morning of 14 March. We followed the instructions that Dzombo4 posted above, and found them to be essential to navigating the border process. It can take a while though - in our case 3 hours. Be patient and just take it one step at a time. There will be touts that hassle you, but just respond politely but firmly that you do not need their assistance.

The Zambian border process starts when you get onto the ferry, so I'd advise you to read through the instructions before you do the Botswana border formalities. We found it easier for one person to be in charge of managing the process (following the instructions) and another person to be actually dealing with the officials and the money.

Responding to some of the earlier comments on this thread, purely based on our experience:

1) The single Botswana ferry was not running when we were there, although it did look like it was in better shape than the Zambian ferries. All three Zambian ferries were running, and I didn't feel unsafe using them.

2) As long as you have already had your passports stamped, you shouldn't have a problem exiting the border gates on foot to get insurance (at least we didn't). You only need the rest of the documents to drive out. There were many undocumented people going in and out of the border area, and nobody asked to see our passports or anything else. If you see the officials checking documents, then Birdie's advice may be valuable.

A final point is that there is an ATM at the border post, and it had cash when we were there. I'm not sure how reliable it is, but it did make things a lot easier for us as we had no Kwacha with us.

I found Kierie's border instructions to be great, but there are a lot of buildings you have to go to, so here is a visual map of the admin process (along with what we paid in March 2016):

Name:  kazangula_border_zambia.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  47.9 KB

0*: 200 Pula for the ferry is paid at the ticket office on the ferry while you are crossing. You can pay in USD, Kwacha, Rand or Pula.
    1: Park
    2: Immigration
    3: Third Party Insurance (103 Kwacha) [Might vary - most people seem to pay closer to 120 Kwacha]
    4: Temporary Import Permit
    5: Carbon Tax (150 Kwacha)
    6: Road Toll (20 USD)
    7: Community Levy (60 Kwacha)
    8: Check papers and drive through

Hope this helps!

Rudi
    Last edited by Ryperd; 2017/08/16 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Replaced broken photobucket link with correct image

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryperd For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the additional useful info, Ryperd.

Thanks a lot!
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

Very helpfull, thanks

Anybody knows if the fees are still the same? We will cross from Botswana to Zambia on 30th May 2018. Is the rental vehicle considered as commercial one in Zambia so the 3rd party would be 154 ZK instead of 103 for 1 month? Our vehicles will be driven back from Malawi to Botswana within 2 months by another group. Shall I buy 3 months insurance instead of 1 month and then the other driver will not need to buy another one when coming from Malawi?

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    Anybody knows if the fees are still the same? We will cross from Botswana to Zambia on 30th May 2018. Is the rental vehicle considered as commercial one in Zambia so the 3rd party would be 154 ZK instead of 103 for 1 month? Our vehicles will be driven back from Malawi to Botswana within 2 months by another group. Shall I buy 3 months insurance instead of 1 month and then the other driver will not need to buy another one when coming from Malawi?
    I went through the Kazungula border post again in December, and the prices were still more or less the same if I remember correctly. The process was even more difficult than before, though. There is now an INTERPOL office in the same building as 2 above, and if there are any unusual aspects to your story they can make things difficult for you. My advice would be to keep things as uncomplicated as possible, and don't mention that there will be a different group driving the car on the return journey. Get one month third party and let the other driver renew the insurance when they come back.

It seems that there is a different process for clearing a vehicle to visit Zambia vs transiting Zambia. If you take the transit option, you have to pay a substantial deposit which is (theoretically) refunded when you leave the country. I would advise against this option. If you will be staying at least one night in Zambia, state that Zambia is your destination, and don't let them talk you into opting for a transit clearance.

I don't know whether the vehicle would be considered commercial, but I suspect it would not (others may be able to give you better advice on the rental aspects). Make sure your rental agency gives you the registration papers (or at least certified copies) and a letter permitting the driver to take the vehicle across the border. You will need a separate letter for the driver returning the vehicle. Ideally they would also give you a police clearance certificate for the vehicle, but I've heard that rental agencies don't usually provide that. We were never asked for one.

When you leave Botswana they will give you a Temporary Exit Permit which needs to be handed in when the vehicle is returned to the Southern African Customs Union countries (South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland). There could potentially be a problem if there's a different driver when the vehicle is returned, but I've never had anyone look at that form when I return. Just make sure that it stays with the vehicle.

Kazungula is probably the most stressful and random border post I've ever been through. Each time the process is a little different and you need to be ready to adapt to whatever the story is on the day. Be firm but friendly. Above all, be patient, and allow several hours for the border crossing if necessary. Time is your greatest currency - if you show the border officials that you are willing to out-wait their bureaucratic games, they will let you through eventually.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryperd For This Useful Post:

As I understand it you can buy the necessary 3rd party insurance online ahead of time so that's one thing less to stress about. See:
    Phoenix – Zambia Assurance Ltd

https://www.phoenixzambia.com

Thanks to Tooi's post in the Zambia forum.

Enjoy your trip!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Webster For This Useful Post:

Yup, it seems that a lot of people are being scammed to get more expensive insurance than what they need (see http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...3rd-Party-scam) . I think we got our third party from the Phoenix container in March 2016 and December 2017, and the price was less than 130 Kwacha. There were women selling the insurance at the container both times, and they didn't try to scam us (the touts did, though). If you have a choice, deal with the women rather than the men, or get it online beforehand, as Webster suggests.

Thank you. I understand now why the rental agency refused to deliver cars to Livingstone but is willing to bring them to Kasane for 1000 ZAR discount. I will definitelly prearrange the insurance online.

The SA rental agency told me their vehicles have 3rd party insurance (Outsurance) for Malawi included. But I read at this forum that we will still need to buy another one in Malawi as the Outsurance has no branch office in Malawi. I read the policemen argue that involved malawian person cannot claim his/her damage/injury if there is no office of the insurance company. Is this still correct?

I would assume that it's still the case. I can say from experience that in 2016 I entered Malawi at a border post that did not sell third party insurance. They also didn't have a customs officer on duty so I had to proceed to the largest major town (Mzuzu). I was stopped at a police check and asked for my third party insurance, and produced my South African insurance forms which indicated coverage in Malawi. They gave me the usual story about not having a local office, and it was only when I convinced them that there was no way that I could have purchased third party insurance before then, and that I was on my way to Mzuzu to do exactly that, that they let me proceed. So it may not be technically necessary for you to have local third party insurance, but in my experience it is practically necessary.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryperd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ryperd, it was probably your story I have read here.

Just an update for anyone interested - we just crossed the Kazungula ferry a week or so ago and the procedure above worked great. One note, we were able to postpone purchasing 3rd party insurance to the last step. We asked the gate authorities (police?) if we could walk out and buy it and then walk back in to get our car and they were completely fine with that. None of the other authorities said we needed the insurance first.

Everyone was universally courteous and several of them warned us off using one of the "agents" numerous times. A little over two hours for us for the whole deal.

Also note that if you can find the Nico insurance dealer at the border then you can get COMESA from the Nico office in Livingstone. Whether it provides valid cover I cannot verify, but I got the paperwork with no trouble. If you buy 3rd party from someone else Nico cannot issue COMESA on someone elses 3rd party coverage and will have to resell you 3rd party insurance. I will post this in the COMESA thread as well.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hi is there updated information on the following charges:

• Temporary Import Permit (TIP) or Carnet
    • Third party insurance (COMESA insurance) valid for Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe
    • Carbon Pollution Tax (dependant on engine capacity)
    • Road access fee (paid on entry) valid for one year
    • Council levy (paid on entry and exit)