Mana Pools, return via Hwange or Gonarezhou??

Default Mana Pools, return via Hwange or Gonarezhou??

Looking for some advice on what would be recommended to return from Mana Pools. We are heading up to Mana Pools for a week in September and will route up via Bulawayo/Kwe Kwe. We just canít decide on a return route if it is best via Hwange or Gonaís? Will be a single vehicle and looking to stay in self catering chalets? Any advice would be great, sorry forgot to add we have a week to make our way back to SA.

Default Re: Mana Pools, return via Hwange or Gonarezhou??

Iíd head to Gona.

Firstly, theyíve got better self-catering units than Hwange at the moment. Have a search on here for some of MikevRís posts about the recent upgrades and new facilities in Gona.

Secondly, from Mana, Hwange is a huge detour if you are on your way home.

Gona is such a wonderful bush experience and reminds me of Botswana some 40 years ago!
    Absolutely stunning

My first choice would be Gona, but you have 2 things to consider; you are fairly time restricted and depending on the fuel situation in September, the shorter route through Hwange and exiting at Pandamatenga might be a better bet.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Having been there in 2015 or 2016 (i think), I would opt for Gonarezhou.
    Spend some time there.
    That is if time and cost are not serious issues.

MIke vr is well versed and active in this area so will have more up to date info.
    I suggest that you contact him as said above.

You then have the option to either return from Gona via Moz (60 km or so in Moz along the extreme western border with Zim) if returning from the southern section or alternatively via Beit Bridge if leaving Gona from the northern part.
    If leaving from the south then you would cross the Limpopo near Pafuri into Kruger. No bridge or causeway when we were there. (May have changed since ??)
    If so, check water levels of Nuanetsi and Limpopo before deciding or maybe the pont is operating (unlikely if levels are low) - but may still be a problem to cross.
    If dry or very low then only deep sand in places to consider.

You may have to overnight in KNP to comply with their conditions.

Hope this helps although a little dated.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Hi Hook'nCook,Yes I think Gonarezhou is your best bet.Mana Pools to Norma Jeans Masvingo Day oneMorning Day 2 - Zim RuinsAround 11 am Day 2 leave for Chiredzi and Gonarezhou - You can stay at any of the new Tented camps called Manangas. They are ideal self catering camps.The first three Manangas are complete and are all available for booking at [email protected] Ė there are the two in the south at Makonde and Mathuli and then the one in the north, Masasani Mananga, at Masasanya Dam My suggestion is stay 3 nights at Masasani Mananga at Masasanya Dam for 3 nights. You can explore most of the North park from this point and it is close to Chiredzi as well as the new Causeway which will take you up to Chilojo Cliffs. Please PM me for additional info should you need it?I would go down to the south through the central park and either stay for 2 nights at one of the cottages at Swimiwini in the South park near Mabalauta or alternatively one of the two Manangas in the south mentioned above.I would then exit via Nuanetsi Ranch road on to the main Masvingo - Beit Bridge Road. My brother has just come back via Beit Bridge and he said it was a breeze. I am not sure where you end destination is but you may have to sleep over somewhere on the way backRob and Peter thank you for your kind words.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We will definitely head back via Gonarezhou after doing some reading and the advice offered. Plan will be to do 3 nights in the north and then 1 in the South then travel back via Pafuri and KNP for a night. Mike I will definitely send you a PM for some more recommendations and thanks for the advice already offered. Cheers