Blinkgat camper-First Impressions

Default Blinkgat camper-First Impressions

In August last year my wife and I did a tour through Botswana, Caprivi strip, Namibia and back home over a period of 27 days. I towed my Cheetah trailer with a Landcruiser 79. I think I put the trailer up and down at least 21 times in that period! While camping in Swakopmond I was browsing through Gumtree and saw a Blinkgat camper advertised for a reasonable rate so immediately diverted our route home to look at it.
    Due to work commitments I was only able to test our new acquisition now in January. This time we took a shorter trip from home to Douglas via the Eastern Free State then to KGalagadi where we stayed in Rooiputs, Nossob,Polentswa and Mata Mata. On the way back we spent a night at Mokala and then entered Lesotho near Clocolan. After staying a night in Lesotho we exited down Sani Pass.
    We both absolutely loved the Blinkgat! The bakkie travelled a lot easier than towing and we were happy to stay on the back roads. The set up is an absolute breeze. When we got to camp all you had to do was literally take out the chairs, open our table ,pop the roof and open the awning. This does not take more than 5 minutes max!
    Our power system worked beautifully and consists of a 80 amp panel fixed on the roof, a 250 Ctek and 2 x 75 A batteries. We run a NL dual, some lights and a pressure pump. The voltage never dropped below 12.4 v despite daily temperatures starting at 22 and ending at 40 each day.
    The shower worked like a dream.
    The kitchen setup is not as good as the Cheetahs but that being said my wife soon got used to it and has no major complaints. The bed is huge and very comfortable!
    In a nutshell we are delighted with our purchase! Nothing went wrong and the workmanship of the unit is excellent.
    We are keeping the trailer though as we still love setting up camp at Cape Vidal for a few weeks every year.
    I would strongly recommend the Blinkgat camper to anyone looking for a slide-on camper!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEC603B8-E066-45F4-8D33-31BFEC38E27E.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	555641

Default Re: Blinkgat camper-First Impressions

WillyG , stem saam met jou en wat jy se een van my beste kamp toerustings wat ek nog gekoop het.
    Slaan baie maklik op en af en als is daar by jou wat jy soek.
    Was self ook al n paar plekke gewees met myne en het baie goed gewerk in die woestyn.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190526-WA0028.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	555642

Happy with mine
    For a while was thinking of selling and buying a Cheetah but glad I did not
    Approx 60 000 over last 5 years since retiring Botswana, Zim, Mozambique, Namibia, Lesotho and RSA Kgalagadi and Kruger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	555648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	316.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	555649  
    Last edited by richarda; 2020/01/25 at 03:36 PM.
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WillyG View Post
    In August last year my wife and I did a tour through Botswana, Caprivi strip, Namibia and back home over a period of 27 days. I towed my Cheetah trailer with a Landcruiser 79. I think I put the trailer up and down at least 21 times in that period! While camping in Swakopmond I was browsing through Gumtree and saw a Blinkgat camper advertised for a reasonable rate so immediately diverted our route home to look at it.
    Due to work commitments I was only able to test our new acquisition now in January. This time we took a shorter trip from home to Douglas via the Eastern Free State then to KGalagadi where we stayed in Rooiputs, Nossob,Polentswa and Mata Mata. On the way back we spent a night at Mokala and then entered Lesotho near Clocolan. After staying a night in Lesotho we exited down Sani Pass.
    We both absolutely loved the Blinkgat! The bakkie travelled a lot easier than towing and we were happy to stay on the back roads. The set up is an absolute breeze. When we got to camp all you had to do was literally take out the chairs, open our table ,pop the roof and open the awning. This does not take more than 5 minutes max!
    Our power system worked beautifully and consists of a 80 amp panel fixed on the roof, a 250 Ctek and 2 x 75 A batteries. We run a NL dual, some lights and a pressure pump. The voltage never dropped below 12.4 v despite daily temperatures starting at 22 and ending at 40 each day.
    The shower worked like a dream.
    The kitchen setup is not as good as the Cheetahs but that being said my wife soon got used to it and has no major complaints. The bed is huge and very comfortable!
    In a nutshell we are delighted with our purchase! Nothing went wrong and the workmanship of the unit is excellent.
    We are keeping the trailer though as we still love setting up camp at Cape Vidal for a few weeks every year.
    I would strongly recommend the Blinkgat camper to anyone looking for a slide-on camper!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEC603B8-E066-45F4-8D33-31BFEC38E27E.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	555641
    What about the reasoning that the trailer is better because let's say you want to go sightseeing now you need to pack up your whole vehicle but with the trailer you can leave your setup and just take your car and go is that true I'm also in the process of exploring South Africa and neighbouring countries and I have read your review with great interest thanks for the review by the way

Quote Originally Posted by boffen View Post
    What about the reasoning that the trailer is better because let's say you want to go sightseeing now you need to pack up your whole vehicle but with the trailer you can leave your setup and just take your car and go is that true I'm also in the process of exploring South Africa and neighbouring countries and I have read your review with great interest thanks for the review by the way
    Valid point for most vehicle based campers. We stood next to an AHA camper and that thing took 3 x as long as my trailer to pitch and even longer to strike. My own RTT was relatively easy to put up but the next morning it was a schlep to strike due to the height.

This camper does not suffer from most of the packing and unpacking drama as everything has its place and that makes it easy.

So in short this is a well thought out camper by a camper that is easy to pitch and strike, not all are so be careful before you buy
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by WillyG;
    ![ATTACH=CONFIG
    555641[/ATTACH]
    thanks for posting ,we are in the process of getting one ,even visited SAREL at there workshop\house in delmas ,
    could you please place some foto's of the gas stove position ,and from the other side ,any better mods from your side after testing the rig .

we visited johan in vredendal to check his one out and just need a few idiees before we do the final plan ,thanks .

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Unless you need your bakkie for a daily drive, I recommend going the Full Monty Blinkgat camper. Drop the roof 5 minutes. Fold the chairs and put through the door on the floor. Bundle up the ground sheet and chuck it on top of the chairs. 10 minutes total. Obviously, if we are planning to stay for a while we get more elaborate with a large awning, but we don't have to.
    Very happy after a year of living and travelling in it.

Her is a pic of ours on top of the Chilean Andes and, just for fun, a pic of the road up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5627a.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	368.0 KB 
ID:	555942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5610a.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	555943  

Great Pics RodS

Maybe just my 2c on Boffen's question on the camper vs the trailer/ caravan

This is very much dependent on individual preference and the type of traveler you are
    Campers (and probably RTT setups) in my book is best for the following:
    1. Mostly 2 travelers
    2. Touring approach (so typically 1 or 2/3 nights max on one spot)
    3. Should be as mentioned just a close doors and awning and go set up - if packing up takes time then it becomes a nuisance
    4. Extreme conditions where towing could be impossible

Trailer or Caravans in my book is best for the following:
    1. Works better for family approach (we typically mom, dad and 2 kids)
    2. Makes the longer stay in one spot easier and allows freedom of travelling with vehicle while the rest of the rig stays in camp
    3. Depending on your van Touring type travels also work and that is mainly why we went for our choice of van as setup is quick and easy - we typically do 1 - 3 night stay overs when touring but have done 2 weeks in one spot also
    4. Road conditions have to allow for something to tow however extreme spots are few and far between and in convoy and with the right kit most places are accessible

Again, this differs from person to person, trip to trip etc. and is only my 2c
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux01 View Post
    Great Pics RodS

Maybe just my 2c on Boffen's question on the camper vs the trailer/ caravan

This is very much dependent on individual preference and the type of traveler you are
    Campers (and probably RTT setups) in my book is best for the following:
    1. Mostly 2 travelers
    2. Touring approach (so typically 1 or 2/3 nights max on one spot)
    3. Should be as mentioned just a close doors and awning and go set up - if packing up takes time then it becomes a nuisance
    4. Extreme conditions where towing could be impossible

Trailer or Caravans in my book is best for the following:
    1. Works better for family approach (we typically mom, dad and 2 kids)
    2. Makes the longer stay in one spot easier and allows freedom of travelling with vehicle while the rest of the rig stays in camp
    3. Depending on your van Touring type travels also work and that is mainly why we went for our choice of van as setup is quick and easy - we typically do 1 - 3 night stay overs when touring but have done 2 weeks in one spot also
    4. Road conditions have to allow for something to tow however extreme spots are few and far between and in convoy and with the right kit most places are accessible

Again, this differs from person to person, trip to trip etc. and is only my 2c

We took delivery of our slide-on Blinkgat from Sarel 2 years ago. Must endorse some of the good points mentioned. Set-up time of under five minutes and pack up to leave for drives etc about the same. The huge bed is a bonus. Added bonus is ability to move within a campsite to catch shade at different times of the day. We used to slide camper off at home but now leave it on - much easier for spur of the moment get-aways. Had to alter garage door height and length for this - luckily timber garage. The layout makes roadside picnics easy and we’re able to eat inside in bad weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Baie dankie vir almal se goeie woorde.

Ons slaan ons dak en afdak binne 5 minute af en kan dan gaan vir wildrit. Geen probleem nie!

Ek plaas so paar fotos van die Blinkgatcampers of soos Dirk se van hul is nou WItgatkampers
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

En die groot bed is 'n bonus. Slaap fantasties in die bos!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Vasgebou of opskuif Al 2 bly ewe lekker
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Vakansie in Swaziland
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

En jaa. Jy kan lekker offroad en lekker kamp. Van Zylspas 2018
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Hierdie een op Iveco
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Elize is jy op FB messenger? Ek het n PM gelaat..

Quote Originally Posted by Karrooseun View Post
    Elize is jy op FB messenger? Ek het n PM gelaat..
    jammer niks gekry nie. Kontak my gerus op 082 781 4327
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413