job-cuts-will-depress-south-africas-limping-economy-even-more

Default job-cuts-will-depress-south-africas-limping-economy-even-more

Default Re: job-cuts-will-depress-south-africas-limping-economy-even-more

Yes.

Numbers given in the article are misleading. They should not give this heavily manipulated unemployed number. It is vastly misleading. Give a number what % is employed between 18 and 63 year old people. From the count they can give separate number that includes genuine students and people who genuinely cannot work (not even wave a flag). That % should be close to 70%. Number must not be manipulated by "fish twice a month = employed" types.

This type of numbers are used in some countries and politicians are in trouble.

Unemployed number stated is as truthful as 80% matric pass rate or 66% voting activity 2019. All of these numbers are manipulated - heavily.

The economical activity and growth would have to looked at also. Black economy is increasing, most probably faster than "real" economy. It brings food on the table to those who are involved but the big problem is that the money is not in the tax base excluding VAT.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

... and population growth has been above economic growth for a while now

........................ and I started wielding a big hammer and axe at one of my clients yesterday
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    ........................ and I started wielding a big hammer and axe at one of my clients yesterday
    Always take a desk near printer/copying machine. One consultant doing similar as you said that is the best spot to find out what is really going on and who to fire.

Employees are often the best in creating work. We learned this long time ago. Created work keeps them busy without any benefit. Bosses are good in building empires with additional people who are there just as bodies to justify the existence of the boss.

I read long time ago a study that draw a name of the hat for the person to be promoted gives better results than selecting one. I assume same applies for retrenchments. This issue is to do with who knows who reasons. One with brown tongue gets the promotion in the traditional system...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Always take a desk near printer/copying machine. One consultant doing similar as you said that is the best spot to find out what is really going on and who to fire.

Employees are often the best in creating work. We learned this long time ago. Created work keeps them busy without any benefit. Bosses are good in building empires with additional people who are there just as bodies to justify the existence of the boss.

I read long time ago a study that draw a name of the hat for the person to be promoted gives better results than selecting one. I assume same applies for retrenchments. This issue is to do with who knows who reasons. One with brown tongue gets the promotion in the traditional system...
    I prefer to think we can exercise a little more science, however, your point is taken. With prescriptive methods such as LIFO to be used in the retrenchment process, the risk is getting rid of valuable people while the chaff remain.

To get the chaff out, thats a performance management process which is lengthy and onerous.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

To get the chaff out, thats a performance management process which is lengthy and onerous.
    If it is done correctly and weighted heavily on use of external people who understand the industry. I have been part of such processes and the result were not good. Results are easily manipulated to keep the unofficial organizations intact and keep totally unnecessary processes going using very convincing arguments.

An old true life example but still valid today

Factory was making military related products including machined parts for ammunition. Critical products and quality has to be good. So the factory had very many inspectors. Result was not what it should have been. Took a long time to find out. Machinist for instance put faulty items in just to see if inspector will find them out. Solution was to fire every inspector and make the person actually doing the work responsible for the checking. Not easy change as all the processes included requirement of inspectors.

Similar "built in" empires are all over including accounts, safety, management, cleaning... Sometimes it is simply wrong tools.

If a loss making company is made profitable by changing processes and firing people then that is 100% correct solution.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

I doubt that we will get out of this situation in the near future. This is based on our current economical situation.

Government does not have money. We know the reasons thereof. But, because there is no money. No money means that you can’t build dams, buildings etc. This in turn, means that there is no economical stimulation. Construction is the catalyst for all industries, mechanical, electrical, HVAC etc.
    Sent from my iPhone

Interesting article on moneyweb where author is giving tips for tito for upcoming budget.

Economy is the product of society.

fix society ( education, health, housing)
    and economy will organically grow

another sober video doing the rounds of Twitter of an interview with Richard Quest about SA at DAVOS - its pretty damning of how the real world sees SA and the ANC

” your whole economy was hijacked, and nobody has gone to jail”

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

I prefer to think we can exercise a little more science, however, your point is taken. With prescriptive methods such as LIFO to be used in the retrenchment process, the risk is getting rid of valuable people while the chaff remain.

I've seen staff reduction in action:
    Step 1: Rumours start circling about retrenchments. The best staff immediately start job hunting.
    Step 2: Formal letters are sent to staff about retrenchments. The middle-level performers start jumping ship as well.
    Step 3: Retrenchments are cancelled because staff numbers have reached desired levels.

Guess who stayed behind?
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post

Guess who stayed behind?
    Poor performers and special cases. I stayed due to big bonuses due, which I would have lost, they had to buy me out and I knew that was plenty. Pension/retirement related issues, family issues... But yes, many of those who were over the average go. Just now it may not be so simple. Limited job opportunities around.

When these discussions and stories come out the first thing is to cool down and do a detailed evaluation and calculation. I definitely scored by staying and even after taking the company to labor court to get more money the first contract was from the company retrenching and over the years that group of companies has given plenty work.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post

” your whole economy was hijacked, and nobody has gone to jail”
    This is what really get me - we will be forced to pay more taxes, and nobody will go to jail
    2008 UN type Patrol 3.0 diesel,

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    This is what really get me - we will be forced to pay more taxes, and nobody will go to jail
    What gets to me is that all the people who fought so hard from the outside during the struggle years failed to predict this. And those once loud voices are now tjoepstil.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

im in the same boat, they retrenched 15 guys by us, there where 28 there is now 13 and they talking about more.
    im struggling to find work so the wife and i decided we think its time to jump ship and immigrate, so we started the process.
    it really sad whats happening in South Africa but ive been telling my family and friends for years this country is not gonna get any better before getting worse.