Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brackenfel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Post Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Hi Guys,

    Sorry if this is a repost but I cannot seem to find a suitable thread post related to my query.

    I have a 2013 Hilux 2.5D-4D SRX D/C 4x4, no mods, factory standard. I noticed recently that my bakkie's Diff Locks automatically when I engage into 4H without pressing the Diff Lock Button. Also, when it engages the Diff, only the 4x4 light goes on, but when I press the Diff Lock Button while in 4H, the Diff lock light then only goes on.

    I owned my bakkie now for a while and never noticed this. Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause? Any fixes?

    Thanks for reading.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,155
    Thanked: 1956

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Why do you say the diff is locked when you engage 4H, because later on you say the diff lock light only comes on when you press the DL button?
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/01/24 at 01:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Uitenhage
    Age
    27
    Posts
    379
    Thanked: 242

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiaan View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Sorry if this is a repost but I cannot seem to find a suitable thread post related to my query.

    I have a 2013 Hilux 2.5D-4D SRX D/C 4x4, no mods, factory standard. I noticed recently that my bakkie's Diff Locks automatically when I engage into 4H without pressing the Diff Lock Button. Also, when it engages the Diff, only the 4x4 light goes on, but when I press the Diff Lock Button while in 4H, the Diff lock light then only goes on.

    I owned my bakkie now for a while and never noticed this. Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause? Any fixes?

    Thanks for reading.
    I assume this happens when turning? transfer is engaged/locked so driveshafts are rotating at same speed. Soon as you turn while moving forward the front has a bigger turning circle forcing the rear to catch up. same thing with my kz
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brackenfel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by Splitpin View Post
    I assume this happens when turning? transfer is engaged/locked so driveshafts are rotating at same speed. Soon as you turn while moving forward the front has a bigger turning circle forcing the rear to catch up. same thing with my kz
    Ok thanks. So I am not imagining this, it's supposed to lock the diff when you engage in 4H?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brackenfel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Why do you say the diff is locked when you engage 4H, because later on you say the diff lock light only comes on when you press the DL button?
    hey Roelf, ek sukkel om dit in ingils te verduidelik...

    Sien, as ek my bakkie in 4H sit kom ek agter die Diff sluit sonder dat ek die eintlike "Diff Lock" knoppie gedruk het. Die liggie wys ook net dat die 4x4 aan is, maar ek kan hoor dat die Diff gesluit is want die agter wiele gly? Verbeel ek my of lock die diff as ek in 4H gaan?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    65
    Posts
    460
    Thanked: 138

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Hi Wiaan, the diff-lock should NOT automatically engage when your select 4H or 4L. Diff-lock should ONLY engage when your activate the DL button. Have it seen to asap or you will cause damage to your diff when turning while the diff is locked

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brackenfel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    Hi Wiaan, the diff-lock should NOT automatically engage when your select 4H or 4L. Diff-lock should ONLY engage when your activate the DL button. Have it seen to asap or you will cause damage to your diff when turning while the diff is locked
    Thanks. What do you think the cause of this can be? The diff engages perfectly when I only push the Diff Lock button so I don't think the electronics are faulty.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    65
    Posts
    460
    Thanked: 138

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    I really don't know why its happening to your vehicle, not very technically minded !

    I had a similar Hilux to yours though an earlier year that once go stuck in 4H when we were near Barkley East, it wouldn't dis-engage so had to drive all the way back to Bloem in 4H. Dealer fixed it, can't remember what their explanation was.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brackenfel
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    I really don't know why its happening to your vehicle, not very technically minded !

    I had a similar Hilux to yours though an earlier year that once go stuck in 4H when we were near Barkley East, it wouldn't dis-engage so had to drive all the way back to Bloem in 4H. Dealer fixed it, can't remember what their explanation was.
    Oh ok thanks. I will then have to take it to the agents, this is freaking me out..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,155
    Thanked: 1956

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Wiaan.
    Ek dink nie dis jou diff wat lock nie. Dis maar gewone "wind-up" omdat jou voor en agter propshafts gelock is en jou wiele sal skuur elke keer as jy draai. Dis heeltemal normaal. Toets dit op n pel se bakkie en dit sal dieselfde wees.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    64
    Posts
    909
    Thanked: 198

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Wiaan.
    Ek dink nie dis jou diff wat lock nie. Dis maar gewone "wind-up" omdat jou voor en agter propshafts gelock is en jou wiele sal skuur elke keer as jy draai. Dis heeltemal normaal. Toets dit op n pel se bakkie en dit sal dieselfde wees.
    Yep, absoluut normaal, jy sal oplet dat jou draaisirkel ook groter is wanneer in 4x4.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Uitenhage
    Age
    27
    Posts
    379
    Thanked: 242

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiaan View Post
    Ok thanks. So I am not imagining this, it's supposed to lock the diff when you engage in 4H?
    As jy wil seker maak...toets dit op nat gras op n skuinste. Jy sal vinnig genoeg weet wat gaan vir wat...soos genoem is agterste wiele probeer opvang met voorste wiele...jy het nog nie bevestig of dit gebeur as jy draai nie?
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    56
    Posts
    337
    Thanked: 208

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Wiaan.
    Ek dink nie dis jou diff wat lock nie. Dis maar gewone "wind-up" omdat jou voor en agter propshafts gelock is en jou wiele sal skuur elke keer as jy draai. Dis heeltemal normaal. Toets dit op n pel se bakkie en dit sal dieselfde wees.
    Sekondeer. Ek ry 'n 2012 SRX D/C 4x4.

    Die Diff lock werk net in 4L. Jy kan in 4H of 4L wees en ry sonder diff lock dan sal jy in 'n skerp draai die agterwiel hoor glip (skuur).

    As jy in 4L is en die diff lock knoppie druk, gaan sy liggie aan en die diff lock sluit. As jy die knoppie in los maar jy skakel terug na 4H dan ontkoppel die diff lock automaties alhoewel die diff lock knoppie nog steeds ingedruk is. Die diff lock liggie op die dash sal uit doof om te wys die diff lock is ontkopel. Ek hou daarvan want jy kan nie per ongeluk vinnig ry in 4H met die diff lock aan nie (gevaarlik en jy kan jou diff beskadig).

    Ek het nou nog nie gekyk wal gebeur as jy dan weer oorskakel 4L toe, of die diff lock dan automaties weer aktiveer nie. Ek ry nie my bakkie so nie. Sal tog bietjie vanmiddag kyk wat gebeur en terug rapporteer.

    Ek skakel die diff lock net aan en weer af as ek deur 'n hindernis gaan wat dit noodsaak en in 4L is.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2020/02/01 at 10:55 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    69
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    Sekondeer. Ek ry 'n 2012 SRX D/C 4x4.

    Die Diff lock werk net in 4L. Jy kan in 4H of 4L wees en ry sonder diff lock dan sal jy in 'n skerp draai die agterwiel hoor glip (skuur).

    As jy in 4L is en die diff lock knoppie druk, gaan sy liggie aan en die diff lock sluit. As jy die knoppie in los maar jy skakel terug na 4H dan ontkoppel die diff lock automaties alhoewel die diff lock knoppie nog steeds ingedruk is. Die diff lock liggie op die dash sal uit doof om te wys die diff lock is ontkopel. Ek hou daarvan want jy kan nie per ongeluk vinnig ry in 4H met die diff lock aan nie (gevaarlik en jy kan jou diff beskadig).

    Ek het nou nog nie gekyk wal gebeur as jy dan weer oorskakel 4L toe, of die diff lock dan automaties weer aktiveer nie. Ek ry nie my bakkie so nie. Sal tog bietjie vanmiddag kyk wat gebeur en terug rapporteer.

    Ek skakel die diff lock net aan en weer af as ek deur 'n hindernis gaan wat dit noodsaak en in 4L is.
    Terwyl in 4x4, domkrag een van die agterwiele op. As jy die wiel kan draai, is die diflok nie aan nie.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    56
    Posts
    337
    Thanked: 208

    Default Re: Hilux 2.5D-4D Diff Lock Auto Engage in 4H

    Net bietjie terugvoer.

    As die Hilix in 4L is met difflock aan (knoppie ingedruk) en jy skakel terug 4H of 2H toe, dan ontkoppel die diff lock en die liggie op die dash flits aan en af om aan te dui dat die diff lock nie gesluit is nie maar die knoppie ingedruk is.

    As jy nou weer terug skakel 4L toe (diff lock knoppie nog steeds ingedruk) dan sluit die diff lock weer automaties en die liggie op die dash brand heeltyd om aan te dui dat die diff lock geaktiveer is.

    Daar is 'n eenvoudige mod om die diff lock in 4H en 2H te laat werk, maar ek sal dit glad nie aanbeveel nie.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2020/02/03 at 06:34 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •