outsurance insurance

Default outsurance insurance

Anyone has had experience with outsurance out of south africa? eg what do they cover ? recover? in case of a breakdown?

Default Re: outsurance insurance

If you are speaking of overland travel in Africa then you need to add the extended cover for that.
    As I recall it is "Out in Africa" cover.
    Use your agent to get more info. on the details.
    I don't think they do medical insurance though - this would be vehicle related only.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Tried to sign up with them once. The Ts and Cs were so onerous and complicated it would give them wriggle room to refute almost any claim. Also the whole "no brokers" thing scares me. Claiming without a broker is like going to court without a lawyer. They have all the power and can just spin the rules book (which they won't even show you) in their favour.
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

I've been with outsurance for years. Never had any issues or hassles with them. They recover promptly (this was after a breakdown in SA, sent rollback, settled rollback, no copayment, etc). They inspect, authorize and pay repairs promptly. And their rates are very good. They also have one of the lowest non-payment decisions that has been overturned by the Ombudsman. If you 4x4 on any trails, offroad or travel outside in Africa, you have to use the add-on Out and About in Africa, but it's not expensive. My folks and brothers also has only good experience with them. Can't speak for anyone else

I joined Outsurance last year, including their Out in Africa product after several calls and emails confirming what it covers.

Was with them for a week and headed off to Namibia. Jaeger Defender got 30 kms south of Aus when he decided to strip the gear box. I needed to be in Luderitz at 16:00.

Called Outsurance, gave them my position, situation and offered apologies for calling them after only a week. "No problem sir that's what insurance is for". OK great start.

It got better, albeit I had a couple of hours wait by the roadside for a recovery truck to come along from Keetmanshoop.

Outsurance had organised for Jaeger Defender to be flat bedded back to Springbok and me, plus 3 weeks worth of camping kit, to be transported to Luderitz. They also contacted SWAMBO told her all is in hand and no worries.

All this after two phone calls and then me running out of air time and not being able to replenish it. Zero excess the cherry on top, might have something to do with me being a pensioner not sure about that though.

Lost my no claims bonus but I didn't join them for that , I joined them for exactly the scenario above.

Yip, happy customer :-) I think their bad press may be a tad overstated
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

2019 Going back to Kgalagadi but this time without air suspension

I can write a book on the outstanding (pardon the pun) service I received from them multiple times which started with a blown engine on a Saturday afternoon between Umtata and Butterworth. They even offered to arrange security.
    The whole story is to long to repeat here, but I would not change.
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab

Best insurance service and payouts.
    I've claimed as a customer as well as third party claims and they honor and support the way it should be.

Also used their recovery service twice and very happy with price vs product

I'm not with Outsurance.

But:
    1. They are tops when it comes to the annual Short-term Ombudsman report; and

2. I have heard from numerous family members, friends and colleagues about excellent claims experiences. A colleague's wife was in an accident bin a bad part of town. Outsurance told her to lock the car and arranged transport for her. Said if the bumped car gets stolen then so be it.

I'm with Tuffstuff at a good rate. If I were ever to change my first call would be to a Santam affiliated broker. My second call would be Outsurance.

My 2cents.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Thank you all for the feedback given ! Much appreciated !

I have been with Outsurance since 2009, two claims for windscreens in the early days.

I get my Outbonus every year on the 7th January.

Many companies call for a quote, no way they can match my premiums. Try a 2019 Hilux GD-6 4x4 auto with canopy specified for under R700. The closest the competition gets is nearly double.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

They phoned my the first week of December to give me a quote. It took more than an hour on the phone. Must say their motor premiums was super competitive but the caravan and houses and other stuff was not so cheap. At the end they were about R 100 more than my Santam policy but they still have excesses on the policy while at Santam above 55 there is no excesses. Santam also cover you for R25 000 repatriation costs when you are out of the country without there 4x4 cover taken.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2010 Conqueror Compact 2

I am with them, and had the misfortune of needing to claim within a few months of joining.
    No hassles, quick payout.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

A long time ago I was with them, never had to claim. I then went to a broker and got way better premiums, for the same cover. Outsurance has had to pay me that R400 for not being able to match my premiums. They quoted me on one car only what I paid for both cars plus household contents.

Anyway, to the OP, your cover depends on what you take. Read your policies, they are not all the same.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

After reading the -generally - good comments on Outsurance here, I decided to visit their website; asked for a quote. Got a call early next morning from a young lady, who started asking the necessary questions. Now, my English is fair and a workable knowledge of one or two other languages too - but sometimes, just sometimes, as a customer, I prefer being talked to in my home language, which is Afrikaans. So I nicely, (believe it or not) asked the young lady if it was possible to continue the conversation in Afrikaans? She stutterd a bit and in the end became totally flustered. Promised to get someone who could manage 'die Taal' to promptly call me back.
    Needless to say; that was 3 days ago......not another word from Outsurance, but that's OK with me. If they don't need my business because of my language, I can certainly do without them. Thing is; had she only, politely, said she could not manage Afrikaans and would I mind to carry on in English? I would have been quite happy, and able, to do so!
    So easy to lose a customer!
    There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise

Quote Originally Posted by Alto View Post
    After reading the -generally - good comments on Outsurance here, I decided to visit their website; asked for a quote. Got a call early next morning from a young lady, who started asking the necessary questions. Now, my English is fair and a workable knowledge of one or two other languages too - but sometimes, just sometimes, as a customer, I prefer being talked to in my home language, which is Afrikaans. So I nicely, (believe it or not) asked the young lady if it was possible to continue the conversation in Afrikaans? She stutterd a bit and in the end became totally flustered. Promised to get someone who could manage 'die Taal' to promptly call me back.
    Needless to say; that was 3 days ago......not another word from Outsurance, but that's OK with me. If they don't need my business because of my language, I can certainly do without them. Thing is; had she only, politely, said she could not manage Afrikaans and would I mind to carry on in English? I would have been quite happy, and able, to do so!
    So easy to lose a customer!
    I'm more worried about the skill of the underwriters and how difficult it is to claim from an insurer than playing mind games with the call centre staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I'm more worried about the skill of the underwriters and how difficult it is to claim from an insurer than playing mind games with the call centre staff?
    Well.....if it is that difficult to get them to sell their product to a potential customer; How easy do you think the claims process will be??
    There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise