Engine rebuilding lube





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sandton JHB
    Age
    60
    Posts
    467
    Thanked: 106

    Default Engine rebuilding lube

    what doyou use on the bearings and bits when rebuilding engines and what is readily available in sunny SA??

    G

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,007
    Thanked: 2255

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    I put ghrease on the bearings and rings.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,233
    Thanked: 2744

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    what doyou use on the bearings and bits when rebuilding engines and what is readily available in sunny SA??

    G
    I uses Comp Cam`s products. Their cam lube on cams and engine assy lube on the rest. Most v8 shops in SA stocks them.

    https://www.compcams.com/engine-asse...-8-oz-jar.html
    Last edited by grips; 2020/01/24 at 04:56 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanked: 221

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I put ghrease on the bearings and rings.
    there are better ways to do it and you probably been getting away with it for years but using grease is not right, rather use an assembly lube like the comp cams one, or just a generous smear of new oil, the grease is often simply too thick and can block the small passages in the block and in the pistons between the rings where you want oil sprayed from the rod to provide lubrication and can cause the poor oil pump some major stress moving it through, once the engine is up to temp these concerns go away as the grease will be diluted and broken down but until it gets to temp grease is not doing your engine any good, and you may well get away with it but not for ever
    I blueprint race engines and build them for over 200hp a cylinder and i apply the same prinicples to all i build
    Last edited by 3bar; 2020/01/24 at 09:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Modders
    Age
    45
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 243

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Wynn's no smoke.....only thing its good for
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanked: 288

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Mix no smoke and wynns gear oil treatment (also a enginge assembly lube)

    https://www.wynns.co.za/product/gear-oil-treatment/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanked: 1134

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    The same oil that you would use to fill the engine. That is all that is needed.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,465
    Thanked: 2092

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Part prices can be high but the time and effort invested in rebuilding an engine is not something to waste. I use the best parts I can afford even if it has to be imported. I am not going to take chances on something that will "work". I use proper ass lube and that gives my engines the best protection at first startup. Yes I prime the oil pump and turn the engine by hand until there is oil pressure and if possible I remove the dizzy and turn the oil pump to get the oil through the engine but using proper ass lube has saved my engines unnecessary wear. The stuff below can be bought from The V8 shop

    Name:  IMG_20200124_214315s.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  436.7 KB
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kimberley / Edenvale
    Posts
    117
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    but using proper ass lube
    Maybe the one time where its a bad idea to abbreviate assembly lubrication.
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2020/01/25 at 06:03 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    13,657
    Thanked: 2867

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Te koop by v8 shop, of alternatiewelik, adult world.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanked: 1008

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Maybe the one time where its a bad idea to abbreviate assembly lubrication.
    lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    joburg
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanked: 431

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Assemble, put in, start, then I use engine oil in a squirty old fashioned oil tin. If it's assemble, wait for other stuff to be done (like in a restoration/rebuild) then I'd use engine assembly lube.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,465
    Thanked: 2092

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Maybe the one time where its a bad idea to abbreviate assembly lubrication.
    As long as you don't add an R Previous one was called Ass lube and the name just stuck
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,007
    Thanked: 2255

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    I put ghrease on the bearings and rings.

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Part prices can be high but the time and effort invested in rebuilding an engine is not something to waste. I use the best parts I can afford even if it has to be imported. I am not going to take chances on something that will "work". I use proper ass lube and that gives my engines the best protection at first startup. Yes I prime the oil pump and turn the engine by hand until there is oil pressure and if possible I remove the dizzy and turn the oil pump to get the oil through the engine but using proper ass lube has saved my engines unnecessary wear. The stuff below can be bought from The V8 shop

    Name:  IMG_20200124_214315s.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  436.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    there are better ways to do it and you probably been getting away with it for years but using grease is not right, rather use an assembly lube like the comp cams one, or just a generous smear of new oil, the grease is often simply too thick and can block the small passages in the block and in the pistons between the rings where you want oil sprayed from the rod to provide lubrication and can cause the poor oil pump some major stress moving it through, once the engine is up to temp these concerns go away as the grease will be diluted and broken down but until it gets to temp grease is not doing your engine any good, and you may well get away with it but not for ever
    I blueprint race engines and build them for over 200hp a cylinder and i apply the same prinicples to all i build
    This idiot from the bush is now confused.
    Last edited by Henris; 2020/01/26 at 06:07 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanked: 1134

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    What is used in the factory's when assembling engines?
    What is used by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Porche, Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, Scania, Volvo, Nissan etc, etc.
    Do they use special lubes?
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/01/26 at 01:31 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,021
    Thanked: 1787

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    This idiot from the bush is now confused.
    Lubriplate grease is very light/thin.
    I don't know what grease you use, but it will likely be thicker than the Lubriplate.
    Cheers,
    John

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,007
    Thanked: 2255

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Very light thin grease.

    But as has been said. I have got away with it for years.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,233
    Thanked: 2744

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    What is used in the factory's when assembling engines?
    What is used by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Porche, Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, Scania, Volvo, Nissan etc, etc.
    Do they use special lubes?
    In most cases pressure oil injection.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kanoneiland
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    I use Wynns Gear oil treatment

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,465
    Thanked: 2092

    Default Re: Engine rebuilding lube

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post


    This idiot from the bush is now confused.
    I think you are the last person that anyone could refer to as an idiot

    The persons that taught me the most about engine rebuilding were also involved in competition engines hence my using assembly lube. Strangely it is a sticky type of greasy substance. I had to pull an engine out for some reason or the other after it had started and ran up to warm. When we pulled the big end caps there was still white assembly lube under the cap that had not washed out with oil. My bearing clearances were perfect as another one of my old school habits is plastigauge. Modern machine tolerances are good but not as perfect as the manufacturers want you to believe

    I can see no reason why a light grease would not protect better than a squirt of oil during assembly and first start up and to be honest I have used it an alternative when I did not have the assembly lube available so there I have just joined your idiot gang. Ps the engine did not blow up

    Engine break in additive is another well kept secret on older engines. To comply with regulations all zinc have been removed from modern engine oils and thus the benefit for hard wearing parts is lost. With Comp additive this is replaced at first start up and break in. It also allows for a smoother break in of a newly rebuilt engine, we use it in heavy horsepower engines as well as in my Mitsu ( it needs every bit of advantage to stay together)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2cf310229cba6a7ffe46ad620b642d0e.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	556081
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •