Terrible experience at Nissan Menlyn dealership

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Terrible experience at Nissan Menlyn dealership

I feel it is necessary to post this. Please be aware of it.

My mother has been searching for an SUV for the last few months. She couldn't quite decide on one which suited all her needs, and she was test driving everything around her price range. She then went on a test drive in a Nissan Qashqai, and really enjoyed it, which she didn't expect. She wanted the 1.2 Acenta Plus, and while talking to the sales lady, she was told that they were test driving the Acenta, and the Plus (the one she would be buying) was quite a bit nicer, with leather seats, 19" wheels, etc. So my mother went in to sign her OTP for a Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Acenta Plus. She made a few adjustments - she wanted 17" black wheels rather than the 19" wheels, because she wants the car to be more geared for gravel roads.

On the day of collection, when she arrived to collect, she was informed that the 19" wheels were being replaced with the black wheels, and they're not certain how long it will take. This was about 08:30. My mother asked me to accompany her to collect the car at about 16:30 because she was very excited, and wanted to share it with me (I hadn't been on the test drive, so it was my first time there). When the car eventually arrived at the dealership a bit after 17:00, I went to inspect it, and saw there were no leather seats, something I had thought my mother wanted; so I told her, and she said no, she wanted the leather seats. The sales lady said that it's not available on the Acenta, only on the Tekna, so I looked it up on the web site, and saw that only the Acenta was available, and the Tekna for the diesel models. I couldn't remember what the brochure said because I really didn't study it that hard, and assumed all the info would be available online, but alas, no Acenta Plus model listed. Anyway, we drove the car off the floor after being rushed through the performance questionnaire and the forgotten maintenance plan waiver she was only told about last-minute, quite tired.

When my mother arrived home, she asked her boyfriend to have a look because he was with her on the test-drive. She also asked me to look in the brochure, and there it was - the Acenta Plus. My mother also found the OTP, which was for the Acenta Plus (which is more expensive than the Acenta). I looked up key differences other than the wheels, because those had been changed - leather seats, heated for the front, driver's side electric, and also roof rails. So I asked if her car had roof rails - and nope, no roof rails. We studied the differences and came to the conclusion that she had received the base Acenta model, not the Acenta Plus she had bought.

After phone calls to the dealership, she arranged to go in the following morning to find out what was going on. On arriving there, she was told that they did not have any stock of the Plus model in the country. She was told that she was a difficult person (I believe by the manager). Either way, the dealership gave her her money and trade-in car back without much argument, just a lot of bad attitude. They also asked for the little gift to be returned.

So be aware when buying a car! Just because the dealership is a branded one, doesn't mean you'll get the honesty you expect.

In the end, I'm happy to report my mother got a much better car, thankfully - a Kia Seltos.

Default Re: Terrible experience at Nissan Menlyn dealership

The idiots probably thought it is an old lady, she won't notice
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Nissan dealerships are horrendously bad, their staff, their services, pretty much every single facet is worse than any other competing car dealership network, the only thing they exceed in is billing. They sure know how to invoice.

I hate Nissan SA and always will.

I still drive my Patrol in spite of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kellermann View Post
    Nissan dealerships are horrendously bad, their staff, their services, pretty much every single facet is worse than any other competing car dealership network, the only thing they exceed in is billing. They sure know how to invoice.

I hate Nissan SA and always will.

I still drive my Patrol in spite of it.
    It's unfortunate because the cars are great.

Angry Re: Terrible experience at Nissan Menlyn dealership

Been a bit of a ghost member. But enjoy all the information shared and comraderie here.
    We bought a brand new 2019 Qashqai at Niisan Atlantis.(they said they were having difficulty registering the vehicle.cited an 'enatis doc issue') The car turned out to be registered 2018!

And motor ombudsman was a fruitless exercise and we got a completely different version,which left us gobsmacked(that we knew it was 2nd hand with 13000 kms on!whereas we bought with 48kms on)

Although the vehicle itself is nice.We left with huge trade in loss,and Nissan lyeing to save itself. I see this seems like a trend now. Thank God you got out that mess unscathed .lesson learnt..

Post a friendly invite to DP of said dealership to put his thoughts concerning this matter in writing to you.

I am sure there are 75 000 members of this community who will enjoy the reply posted here as well.

And mail him this link.....

What an unpleasant experience, glad you sorted it all out. Getting your new car should be a positive experience.

Just to play devilís advocate...surely the onus is on the buyer to ensure the product they are taking receipt of is what they paid for? To their credit, the dealership did reimburse the buyer in full when the error was brought to their attention if I understand correctly. Their attitude however is unacceptable...one would think they would be more apologetic at least.

Personally my dealings with Nissan dealership have all been positive and on par with other brands, maybe this dealership in particular is an exception.

If I was you I would not even have taken delivery.

Please lay a complaint at Nissan SA, most of us keep quiet, hopefully all these messages get to the right "groot kop" and sorts them out. Also try and contact the dealer owner to share this with him or her.

I hope they did not, but did they charge you extra for the leather seats and wheels on the OTP and the delivery documents?

I had my issues with that dealership. Bought a secondhand Juke that had the last brake service done by Menlyn Nissan according to the system. The very clever chap in the workshop took the anti rattle plates out of the front brakes and tossed them in the bin. So I ended up with a very squeaky car. I had to pay for replacement parts. Two anti rattle plates that cost me close on R1400. My dealings with Nissan in Randburg was no better.

Lucky for me, I have a Ford again and I can't complain about the service I got from Randburg Ford while I had my Fiesta so I will see them again soon.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Ek verstaan glad nie Nissan SA se houding nie. Kliente, en hul probleme, beteken absoluut niks vir hulle. Lank is die dae verby, waar jy n paar goeie voertuie in jou lineup het, en dink met n crappy attitude, jy die res ook sal verkoop.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

We had absolutely terrible service from our local Nissan dealer some years ago,which I wrote about in this site, so I can empathise with the writer.. But we did have a dramatic improvement by going to another Nissan dealer something which should not happen. However it seems to be an industry problem, we have had appalling service from Ford, Isuzu and VW and recently my son took his wife's Toyota Quest in to the Toyota dealers for a 90000 km service, and the next day travelled 500 kms to visit us. On arrival he complained about instability and noises from the wheels that seemed to be bearing or cv joint related. On inspection I found the wheel nuts on three wheels were finger tight or loose and one nut from the front right had fallen off. The possible consequences of this negligence are too frightening to contemplate

Quote Originally Posted by swazi1 View Post
    Been a bit of a ghost member. But enjoy all the information shared and comraderie here.
    We bought a brand new 2019 Qashqai at Niisan Atlantis.(they said they were having difficulty registering the vehicle.cited an 'enatis doc issue') The car turned out to be registered 2018!

And motor ombudsman was a fruitless exercise and we got a completely different version,which left us gobsmacked(that we knew it was 2nd hand with 13000 kms on!whereas we bought with 48kms on)

Although the vehicle itself is nice.We left with huge trade in loss,and Nissan lyeing to save itself. I see this seems like a trend now. Thank God you got out that mess unscathed .lesson learnt..
    I
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2020/01/24 at 08:20 PM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

Ek het n tydjie terug by helderberg hyundai in Somerset wes n hyundai gekoop wat volgens hulle n 5 jaar waarborg het. Ek het n allesomvattende maintenance plan by gekoop wat alles behalwe waarborg goed dek, ook vir 5 jaar.

Toe breek daar iets op engine, maintenance plan dek dit nie, want dit is n waarborg issues. Hyundai SA se jammer, handelaar het fout gemaak, voertuig het net 3 jaar waarborg.

Al staan in diensboek 5 jaar, met vin nom en dealer stempel, hulle sÍ hyundai helderberg het boek van ander kar gebruik na hulle die kar se boek verloor het. My skade. Nie dealer of hyundai wou engine herstel.
    So mens kry maar skelms by enige maak.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post
    the dealership did reimburse the buyer in full when the error was brought to their attention if I understand correctly.
    So you believe the dealership delivered the wrong car in error.

Like buying rump steak at a butchery and receiving chuck?

Pity they did not deliver a new Patrol to her in error...
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Post a friendly invite to DP of said dealership to put his thoughts concerning this matter in writing to you.

I am sure there are 75 000 members of this community who will enjoy the reply posted here as well.

And mail him this link.....
    Done. I think by the sales lady though. But it's in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    If I was you I would not even have taken delivery.

Please lay a complaint at Nissan SA, most of us keep quiet, hopefully all these messages get to the right "groot kop" and sorts them out. Also try and contact the dealer owner to share this with him or her.

I hope they did not, but did they charge you extra for the leather seats and wheels on the OTP and the delivery documents?
    Yes, they're part of the Plus version, and it's something like R18 000 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Richsav730 View Post
    We had absolutely terrible service from our local Nissan dealer some years ago,which I wrote about in this site, so I can empathise with the writer.. But we did have a dramatic improvement by going to another Nissan dealer something which should not happen. However it seems to be an industry problem, we have had appalling service from Ford, Isuzu and VW and recently my son took his wife's Toyota Quest in to the Toyota dealers for a 90000 km service, and the next day travelled 500 kms to visit us. On arrival he complained about instability and noises from the wheels that seemed to be bearing or cv joint related. On inspection I found the wheel nuts on three wheels were finger tight or loose and one nut from the front right had fallen off. The possible consequences of this negligence are too frightening to contemplate
    That is absolutely horrendous!! That's why I serviced all my BMWs myself. I know how, and I have the tools. Never an issue, but when serviced at BMW, they broke a cubby door, smoked in the car, didn't really know what they were doing. No, ** that! Loose wheel bolts is death waiting to happen!

Although reading the replies of similar experiences really gets my blood boiling, and my truest sympathies (because I have dealt with similar crap), it's really great to get that knowledge out there, so thanks for the stories. This is why I posted - to create awareness. I've heard about this sort of thing happening at dodgy dealers in USA, but never once did I think it would actually happen at a branded dealership here, where things are so tight financially.

When I bought my car, I did go through it to make sure I got the correct version and all that, but you don't really think that it will actually happen.

When buying a car, or house for that matter, it is crutial to inspect it properly. Too expensive to buy at first glance. And then you sit with all the problems for years to come.
    In all industry you get the liers and crooks. You must be sharp to distinguish between the good and the bad....

Your mum is just lucky you had the brochures to support that you had been promised x y & z, I reckon if you hadn't had that it would have been your word vs the sales lady and Nissan would have told you to jump and your mum would have lost money, like a lot of the other posts have had happen.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast