Deep cycle or High cycle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Deep cycle or High cycle

Good day, I have a national luna solinoid system in my fortuner 4.0 v6 and a solar regulator.

My deep cycle is kapoet. Firstly i know i have to get a charger....

1) which charger and how do i connect it...id like to parmanent fit it in my vehicle so i can just plug it at a campsite which have 220v supply. Do i buy 2 chargers for each batteries? Or just one and connect it to main battery which will ultimately feeds the second one? I believe ctek is well out of my price range? Maybe NL charger? Benton Bx2?

2) high cycle or deep cycle? I dont have million bucks so the fancy lithium type of batteries is out of my price range...i would love to buy a new battery for less than 2k. Is that to much to ask? I just want a setup that works. Please advice where to get aswell if possible.

Sometimes we do camp stationary for 1/2 days maybe 3 without power supply....solar is next on the agenda...

The battery should keep a waeco cf50 or NL 72l dubbel door fridge running, never together...and some small Led lights.

You input would be much appreciated.

(Maybe the treat has been created before by somebody else but ive found mixed complicated responses which at the end still confuses me)

Regards
    Goofster

Default Re: Deep cycle or High cycle

Hi Goofster, I have a c-tek and a DEFA charger and rate the DEFA better. It is way cheaper and works well. 4A,6A,8A,10A,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    Good day, I have a national luna solinoid system in my fortuner 4.0 v6 and a solar regulator.

My deep cycle is kapoet. Firstly i know i have to get a charger....

1) which charger and how do i connect it...id like to parmanent fit it in my vehicle so i can just plug it at a campsite which have 220v supply. Do i buy 2 chargers for each batteries? Or just one and connect it to main battery which will ultimately feeds the second one? I believe ctek is well out of my price range? Maybe NL charger? Benton Bx2?

2) high cycle or deep cycle? I dont have million bucks so the fancy lithium type of batteries is out of my price range...i would love to buy a new battery for less than 2k. Is that to much to ask? I just want a setup that works. Please advice where to get aswell if possible.

Sometimes we do camp stationary for 1/2 days maybe 3 without power supply....solar is next on the agenda...

The battery should keep a waeco cf50 or NL 72l dubbel door fridge running, never together...and some small Led lights.

You input would be much appreciated.

(Maybe the treat has been created before by somebody else but ive found mixed complicated responses which at the end still confuses me)

Regards
    Goofster
    This:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ry-for-camping

I have two batteries (controversially) linked for 12 v supply - 1 deep and 1 high cycle 100 AH aux. also with the solenoid link to the alternator and a solar controller with a single solid solar panel.
    That way I seem to get a bit of both worlds: The faster re-charge of the high cycle with the deeper discharge of the deep cycle.
    I use a "normal" smart charger from Midas to charge both batteries at the same time since they are linked, as does the solar charger and alternator as applicable.
    I also separately charge the vehicle's own starter battery when it has been standing at home (these days) for extended periods of time.
    The disadvantage is the risk of drawing down too much on the high cycle and / or overcharging it.
    However I have been using these two for 3+ years now and the still seem to be functioning well in spite of a few short lived deep discharges in emergency situations in the bush.
    e.g. Failed alternator, no sun for a few days or too little driving for a few days.
    It seems that if re-charged asap after such a over discharge they do recover although may have a shortened life expectancy as a result.

(About 25 years ago my life assurer wanted to charge me 200% premium for a year before any cover would kick in - Eeeeer, hello! I am STILL HERE.)

Anyway it seems to work (For now). The cost of replacing the high cycle a bit sooner than you may need to is probably less than buying two deep cycles ?

Over to Fluffy (Eish, yes I know!)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I have two batteries (controversially) linked for 12 v supply - 1 deep and 1 high cycle 100 AH aux. also with the solenoid link to the alternator and a solar controller with a single solid solar panel.
    That way I seem to get a bit of both worlds: The faster re-charge of the high cycle with the deeper discharge of the deep cycle.
    You can be unlucky that one dont charged sufficient in a cycle situation and fail premature.

Many so called deep cycles are actually semi deep cycle and work good enough as a high cycle.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Thanks for the replies guys...

Wat do u suggest i put in (battery type, name, where to buy in pta) preferably less than 2k mark.

En please guide me on installing a battery charger whatever type it may be parmanently?

I have, and recommend a Ritar R12-100D. I got mine from current automation for around R2200.

I also have, and recommend the Optimate 6, has options for both deep cycle and normal battery. Also comes with a connection option to keep permanently connected like you want.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

How does 100ah batteries work out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy50 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys...

Wat do u suggest i put in (battery type, name, where to buy in pta) preferably less than 2k mark.

En please guide me on installing a battery charger whatever type it may be parmanently?
    Exide batteries Pretoria West 012 327 0950

They sell the RR leisure battery range. My 50ah Exide lasted 8 years.

Hi Goofy

I am not at all an expert however I may assist in some way:
    I did a similar exercise last year from scratch.
    I did research & installed everything myself, with great consideration for my budget.

I bought a 102Ah deep cycle battery from ACDC express for R1900.00 on special. (they going for R2400.00 now)
    I then bought a DC-DC charger off the 4X4 Direct website for R2400.00. This ensures a minim & maximum charge is being given to the deep cycle battery from your alternator(whilst vehicle is running). It also work as a "one way valve" so it will not allow your deep cycle battery to drain your vehicles starter battery.It also has a solar pannel regulater built in.

I have this set up permanently installed in my vehicle so a battery charger is not necessary.

If your vehicle is going to stay stationary in a place for longer than your battery can last, as you said solar is next. This however also has its complications... if you have 1 average size solar panel charging in 30degree + weather, you should be fine. however if it is overcast you need more solar panels or more efficient solar panels to absorbe the required solar input.

There are so many technical things to overthink about etc.
    Do research calculate your required power, buy 1 battery, then in a few months buy another Etc
    Please remember to use Fuses on your power cables running from your main battery to your Deep cycle!
    Good Luck

Regards

Tarzan

Hi Tarzan,

Thank you so much for your input....i however already have a solinoid system, with a solar regulator in my vehicle fitted. Fuses all in. No worries there...

I just want to know which battery work out best in such a solinoid system....for a good price of course ;-)

And then, wheter or not its possible to fit a battery charger parmantly as my vehicle does stand still weekdays....drive only weekend if not more than 400-500kms a weekend if im around or not camping.

And i have this idea to charge up my batteries at campsites aswell(which have 220v supply)--- the solar route i will use if im at a fully self sufficient camp...which happens not that regulary as i want it to...thats why i thought a battery charger before solar :-)

100ah works just fine for me.

I would not bother with smaller.

From what you describe, most AGM batteries will work just fine. Then get an external charger to keep everything topped up when you have 220V.

Just buy one charger, the two batteries are already connected. connect the charger to the second battery and store somewhere out the way but with ventilation. Have an extension lead so you can plug the charger into the 220V in your garage or when at camp with 220V. Its a smart charger, so you can leave it plugged in.

BTW: How do you know the battery you have is kapoet?
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2020/01/23 at 02:32 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

I bought a royal 1150k (think it is high cycle) for about R1200 delivered.
    Can't remember the exact price.
    Runs a dual fridge/freezer overnight with ease and charges quickly while driving.

Bought mine from this guy, Mike 079 159 0950

Quote Originally Posted by Shwam View Post
    I bought a royal 1150k (think it is high cycle) for about R1200 delivered.
    Can't remember the exact price.
    Runs a dual fridge/freezer overnight with ease and charges quickly while driving.

Bought mine from this guy, Mike 079 159 0950
    You were lucky to get stock. Contacted Mike and he has no stock of any battery and no ETA.

The Royal 1150K is a standby battery. They don't last long, wasted money on one and know of others who also complained about them.
    Last edited by Hennie84; 2020/01/24 at 06:14 AM.

Just a warning guys. I bought 2 Royals from Mike two weeks ago after reading about him on this Forum (stupid me didn't test them when I collected them). Anyway, got them home and tested them both at 9.5V. Put them on to charge and they never got above 9.75V. Contacted Mike and asked for a refund, which he kept promising to do. Now after two weeks of trying, I think he's blocked me on WhatsApp and Facebook as he is not responding to messages or calls. I'm now out of pocket R2,600 and have two dud batteries on my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljbezuidenhout View Post
    Just a warning guys. I bought 2 Royals from Mike two weeks ago after reading about him on this Forum (stupid me didn't test them when I collected them). Anyway, got them home and tested them both at 9.5V. Put them on to charge and they never got above 9.75V. Contacted Mike and asked for a refund, which he kept promising to do. Now after two weeks of trying, I think he's blocked me on WhatsApp and Facebook as he is not responding to messages or calls. I'm now out of pocket R2,600 and have two dud batteries on my hands.
    Were those supposed to be new batteries and if so what does the date code on them show as?

Does he run a small business or part of a larger company?

Bought a 100w solar panel and 20 amp controller from takealot for just over R1000 a month ago. Connected that to a 70 amp leisure battery. Been camping of the grid running my bushbaby 42lt fridge and led lights for the past 2 weeks.. Rain, sunshine and cloudy conditions with no issues at all. Still camping. Solar is uncomplicated and will change your camping life..

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Were those supposed to be new batteries and if so what does the date code on them show as?

Does he run a small business or part of a larger company?
    Supposed to be new. Came in a Royal box and looked brand new. Not sure about the date code. Can't see any stamps or stickers or anything indicating a date. He has a small business called Environmental Energy and he says he sells batteries, solar panels and inverters. All seemed good until I wanted my money back.

I have 1x 80 a/h high cycle battery with 100w solar panel in my caravan. 1x 6amp Autozone charger for 220v. Charging cable from vehicle to caravan. 2 years now. No problem. Buy a normal battery with a 3 year guarantee from Bosch diesel electric, and if it packs up in that time, thats what the guarantee is for!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast