Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter - Page 24

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Default Re: Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I notice my negative cable from battery to inverter gets warm to the touch. The plastic nuts on the inverter feel week and feel like they will crack if overtightened.

How and why is it fused and is it only lead acid batteries that can pop.
    Older Li_Ion caused a self fuelling fire if over charged and temp rises.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkEkFjoFPlA

I notice my negative cable from battery to inverter gets warm to the touch. The plastic nuts on the inverter feel week and feel like they will crack if overtightened.

How and why is it fused and is it only lead acid batteries that can pop.
    Lithium's should have a BMS to manage the bank, balance the cells, switch it off if overloaded or over charged and all that.

Heat on cables is never ever a good thing ... ever.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    I notice you are not using any fuses between the battery and inverter?

I hope you are going to add a lid on the bat box in case that battery pops?
    I had to remove the lid to take the photo :-)

No fuse yet. What does a good fuse holder look like?
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Which chargers are best to be used with this inverter and a deep cycle battery?
    I am at the point of returning my PSA008. Not impressed with it at this stage unless I am the idiot....
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Which chargers are best to be used with this inverter and a deep cycle battery?
    I am at the point of returning my PSA008. Not impressed with it at this stage unless I am the idiot....
    I still rate the 7A China charger shown in the blue box gr8 to keep the battery full without the need to disconnect. Not saying its close to the best but at R175 a steal for what it's doing. Not for use between LS if more than 1 LS per 24h unless 3 to 4 are used in || as I am doing. Even with 4 the total cost is below R800.

Fuse holder would be based on what max load one is going to use but would be around 125A.

What are those 2 blade fuses for which came in the box?
    I assume you have to open the inverter to replace them?
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

What battery did you go for and how much were they,charger and battery.
    the charger is R2300 incl, the battery is R4428.00 incl, battery below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2020/03/09 at 01:59 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    What are those 2 blade fuses for which came in the box?
    I assume you have to open the inverter to replace them?
    Yes the inverter should have soldered fuses inside. Older models had the fuses on the outside. Better to have a fuse outside close to the battery/ies.

I can get the 130A fuse and holder from Outdoor Warehouse. Will get it tomorrow.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Oky so today I bought a 180 amp battery (R5800) and a blue victron ipp22 20 amp for R2300.if it wasnt for this site i would have payed alot more.It is difficult getting batteries in durban it seems at the moment.My battery is second hand or second life whatever that means.

If there is anyone here who has a 20 amp victron charger I would be very grateful if I could phone you as I have never used Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charger.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	559671 and I am battling to get the app to work.It keeps asking me to tap but nothing happens.I am shocked at how expensive wire is. Two meters of wire is R160.00
    Last edited by plunger; 2020/02/26 at 08:14 PM.

If there is anyone here who has a 20 amp victron charger I would be very grateful if I could phone you as I have never used and I am battling to get the app to work.It keeps asking me to tap but nothing happens.I am shocked at how expensive wire is. Two meters of wire is R160.00
    My 50mm2 cables (2m) with lugs (4) come to about +-R240.00 - depending on the cost of the lugs and where one gets one, R10-R25 each.

Try and enable your Location on your phone when using the app to access the charger.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    My 50mm2 cables (2m) with lugs (4) come to about +-R240.00 - depending on the cost of the lugs and where one gets one, R10-R25 each.

Try and enable your Location on your phone when using the app to access the charger.
    Cable is made of Copper.
    Batteries are made from Lead
    Copper and Lead are expensive.

If your battery or cable is too cheap, it doesn't have enough copper or lead.

Simple ne.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Oky so today I bought a 180 amp battery (R5800) and a blue victron ipp22 20 amp for R2300.if it wasnt for this site i would have payed alot more.It is difficult getting batteries in durban it seems at the moment.My battery is second hand or second life whatever that means.

If there is anyone here who has a 20 amp victron charger I would be very grateful if I could phone you as I have never used Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charger.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	559671 and I am battling to get the app to work.It keeps asking me to tap but nothing happens.I am shocked at how expensive wire is. Two meters of wire is R160.00
    Glad to see you took the plunge.(r)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

A year ago I found the password provided by Victron was wrong and had more digits than in the manual. This was for their controllers. May be some people who bought recently can confirm the password via a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Cable is made of Copper.
    Batteries are made from Lead
    Copper and Lead are expensive.

If your battery or cable is too cheap, it doesn't have enough copper or lead.

Simple ne.
    Ditto ... and it takes a few expensive T-Shirts to be bought before the penny drops once and for all, does it not!?

... and then we have not even touched on that other very sensitive subject matter, that of 12v DC fuses with the inverters being sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    A year ago I found the password provided by Victron was wrong and had more digits than in the manual. This was for their controllers. May be some people who bought recently can confirm the password via a PM.
    What password where?
    Has not changed in yonks far as I know, that is on the inverters to change salient details after the first configuration ... I could stand to be correct?

I just assumed that there would be cables from the charger to go to the battery. I was disappointed when I opened the box to find nothing.My mate had some jumper cables that were very thick but didnt work so he donated them to me. I was shocked when I cut them open. There was a teeny little wire inside them.
    What a shocker . All insulation and no wire.Anyway I bought some 16mm wire.

What is worrying me is the instructions to the battery say that they can only be connected in series,not parallel.
    The batteries also say they are second life.Does this mean they are second hand?
    https://www.mecerpc.co.za/Mecer-SOL-...0-p-239571.php

The Smart version of the solar controllers needs a APP. The VE Direct you download from the Playstore is mostly not up to date. Before you can use it you have to update. This was also needed to pair between phone and solar controller.

My manual provided a four digit password and it had to be a 6 digit password if my memory is not letting me down.

Information on this web site:
    https://www.mecerpc.co.za/Mecer-UPS-...-14-c-8647.php
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mecer-100ah.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	559689
    Luckily not all 100Ah batteries can supply 1A for only 8.3 hours.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/26 at 11:55 PM.

I just assumed that there would be cables from the charger to go to the battery.
    My mate had some jumper cables that were very thick but didnt work so he donated them to me. I was shocked when I cut them open. There was a teeny little wire inside them.
    Anyway I bought some 16mm wire.

What is worrying me is the instructions to the battery say that they can only be connected in series,not parallel.
    The batteries also say they are second life.Does this mean they are second hand?
    Nope, no cables between charger and batteries as there are too many permutations to try and cater for. Good choice on 16mm2.

Yeah, those jumper cables, warning is the price one pays for them as copper is expensive.

2nd Life batts are coming out of EV's where their battery banks have reached EOL for the vehicle application making them perfect for their 2nd life in say a solar / UPS application.
    Those batts are also called "drop-ins", those Mecer ones. You can literally replace a standard lead acid and "drop in" one of those batts.

Cannot connect BMS'es in any or all configurations, always read the T&C carefully.

Victron blue tooth dongle has a reset password button on it. Go to Victron website and in the help section search for how to reset password on blue tooth dongle

Quote Originally Posted by circe View Post
    Victron blue tooth dongle has a reset password button on it. Go to Victron website and in the help section search for how to reset password on blue tooth dongle
    Thanks. In my case I did not have a dongle but it was the Smart Solar Controller that has the functionality on board.

I have to adree with Plunger that on a 20A charger one would expect to get cables supplied fit for service like 2,5 Sq mm. If the user wants to use thicker it's up to him/her to do so.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/27 at 06:40 AM.

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast