Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter - Page 29

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Default Re: Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Anyone know if this charger will be good enough to charge two 12v batteries?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a quick one before I order...

I have two deep cycle lead acid 12V batteries which were connected to my now dead Meccer inverter...

DO I go 12v or 24v for the new inverter?
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy_ZA View Post

I have two deep cycle lead acid 12V batteries which were connected to my now dead Meccer inverter...

3000va is huge on 12/24v systems, but it can do it.

24v is definitely better ito amps drawn at max power, 12v double the amps ... but cheaper.

Cheaper in that IF one day you can only afford one battery and on THAT day being cash strapped, yet have to have the inverter operational urgently.

And 12v can also be used in an emergency on your cars battery ... for small loads obviously. :-)

Otherwise 24v is preferable.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/03/10 at 09:05 PM.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Not much difference ito current if you use 2 x 12 v batteries on a 12V or 24V system. If you keep bat to invert cables short. Remember with 2 bat of 12V on a 12V inverter the current is shared. I also feel a big plus to go 12V to be used away from home.

Why I like a12V inverter:

1) It can run off 1 x 12V battery.
    2) It can run of n x 12V batteries in parallel.
    3) You only need a 12V charger, not a 24V charger.
    4) If you have 2 x batteries in series for 24V or 2 x batteries in parallel for 12V, the batteries don't know the difference, they both see the same current draw for a given power demand. Don't worry about the inverter here, 12V or 24V it is designed to handle its current demand for a given output.
    5) A 12V inverter is a multipurpose unit, a 24V inverter is a semi-dedicated unit.
    6) If you want to increase your battery capacity, it can be done one battery at a time in parallel.

Why I don't like the 24V inverter:

1) It needs 2 x 12V batteries regardless.
    2) It needs a 24V charger or 2 x 12V chargers with a bit of "I'm not a newbie at wiring and connecting this stuff up knowledge"
    3) If you want to increase your battery capacity, it has to be done in parallel multiples of two.

My advice: Go 12V for basic stuff or get serious and go 48V.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Can someone perhaps tell me what the thickness of the cable is that comes with the inverter?
    2015 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD HP D/C 4x4
    2011 Conqueror Courage

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon MW3 : SOLD One day I will have another...

GP0111

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonW View Post
    Can someone perhaps tell me what the thickness of the cable is that comes with the inverter?
    AWG 3
    Diameter = 5.82 mm
    Cross Section = 26.6 mm sq

Does the inverter in the OP have a built in fuse or do I need to install a fuse on the positive lead between the battery and the inverter? I see that the unit shipped with two 40A fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Why I like a12V inverter:

1) It can run off 1 x 12V battery.
    2) It can run of n x 12V batteries in parallel.
    3) You only need a 12V charger, not a 24V charger.
    4) If you have 2 x batteries in series for 24V or 2 x batteries in parallel for 12V, the batteries don't know the difference, they both see the same current draw for a given power demand. Don't worry about the inverter here, 12V or 24V it is designed to handle its current demand for a given output.
    5) A 12V inverter is a multipurpose unit, a 24V inverter is a semi-dedicated unit.
    6) If you want to increase your battery capacity, it can be done one battery at a time in parallel.

Why I don't like the 24V inverter:

1) It needs 2 x 12V batteries regardless.
    2) It needs a 24V charger or 2 x 12V chargers with a bit of "I'm not a newbie at wiring and connecting this stuff up knowledge"
    3) If you want to increase your battery capacity, it has to be done in parallel multiples of two.

My advice: Go 12V for basic stuff or get serious and go 48V.
    Why I dont like a 12V inverter.

Rule of thumb --

12V 1000W absolute MAX - Components are going to be BTTW
    24V 2000W absolute MAX

Anything more than that if you need advise, you shouldn't be doing it.

Just because they make a 3000W 12V Inverter doesnt mean its a good idea. Saying it is designed for it is a misleading statement.
    Even if the Inverter is designed for it, which actually cant be done at the price points we are speaking about here without compromises, your standard 102AH battery is MOST CERTAINLY NOT DESIGNED FOR IT.

And the newbie story about wiring --- oh oh. Putting two batteries in series is no more difficult than two batteries in parallel. In fact it is way easier, because you are dealing with easier to handle cable, lugs, fuses, switches/breakers etc.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Guys, why is everybody fusing everything in sight.

You only need one fuse. Between the battery and the load.

The Charger and Inverter will look after themselves. Apart from their own internal protection devices, which may or may not include fuses, they are also sacrificial devices.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Why I dont like a 12V inverter.

Rule of thumb --

12V 1000W absolute MAX - Components are going to be BTTW
    24V 2000W absolute MAX

Anything more than that if you need advise, you shouldn't be doing it.

Just because they make a 3000W 12V Inverter doesnt mean its a good idea. Saying it is designed for it is a misleading statement.
    Even if the Inverter is designed for it, which actually cant be done at the price points we are speaking about here without compromises, your standard 102AH battery is MOST CERTAINLY NOT DESIGNED FOR IT.

And the newbie story about wiring --- oh oh. Putting two batteries in series is no more difficult than two batteries in parallel. In fact it is way easier, because you are dealing with easier to handle cable, lugs, fuses, switches/breakers etc.
    Oh great, another self appointed guru and keyboard warrior.

Hmmm... well, okay then

And we need to know what your opinion is, why

Oh well.

At least I offer an opinion, and add substantive value to the debate, and not just attack a man for having an opinion and call him names.

Doesn't matter to me either way.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

If you want to criticise somebody's post, with a patronising "oh oh", at least read it properly and understand what was being said.

I said:

Clearly I am not talking about wiring up a simple 24V battery system, I am talking about charging a 24V system using 2 x 12V chargers and not a 24V charger, which can be a bit tricky.

If you want to criticise somebody's post, with a patronising "oh oh", at least read it properly and understand what was being said.

I said:

Clearly I am not talking about wiring up a simple 24V battery system, I am talking about charging a 24V system using 2 x 12V chargers and not a 24V charger, which can be a bit tricky.
    Clearly your clearly wasnt clear enough, I reference in blue above what you said.

And just out of interest, almost all of these commonly used Smart chargers are not suitable for your 12V application.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

I agree 100% with Fluffy ... yeah I "compromised" my reply as this debate always goes sideways ... :-)

Allow me to retract and put it into perspective on why we say 3000va (2800w) on 12v is complicated, by using actual figures, all of them.

Normally the calc on a napkin is:
    2800w/12v = 233amp

But the full calc is:
    2800W x 1/0.85 (inverter eff) x 1/10.5v (inverter battery cutoff) x 1.25 (NEC derating) = 393amp circuit.
    Round up to next standard fuse/wire size: 400amps

Why 10.5v on a 12v battery?

Power = Voltage x Current so assuming the AC output power is "fixed", as the DC input voltage falls, the DC input current must rise.

What size cable you need: https://www.solar-wind.co.uk/info/dc...rop-calculator
    12v with potential of 393amps over 1 meter with 5% acceptable loss, you need to install 120mm˛ (414A max) wire.

The DC fuse: 400amps on 12v.

48v using same values as above, just 1% loss and 42v the inverter battery cutoff:
    2800w = 98amps = 35mm˛ (192A max) = 200amp fuse.

If I got all the maths right ... I hope this helps someone.

The good news is: Nothing stops one from saying: "I am only going to use a max of "600w" load."
    Then you can use smaller cables and fuse which will simply blow if you try to pull 2800w for any length of time.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/03/11 at 10:40 PM.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

I said:

I don't think you have been on this forum long enough to criticise Fluffy's post and his way of getting his point across. He is certainly not a keyboard warrior as you put it. You have no idea.....after only 54 posts
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Back on track.

Clearly the PSW Inverter which is the subject of this thread looks like a nice unit at an affordable price.

And yes, buy and use one at 12V.

Just be aware of the limitations and possible implications.

If you double up on the batteries in parallel to get a longer backup time, be aware of the charging requirements this imposes. If you flatten two 105AH batteries during load shedding, you arent going to be recharging them in a hurry with a 7A Smart charger.

-------------------

But - sooner or later somebody is gonna connect mommies hair dryer or a kettle or a Microwave ....... While daddy is away on business.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

I bought the 4000w unit. I have run it very day for the past 2 weeks mainly powering my office nespresso machine, 1x12v mix tech battery. It works really well and no issues so far. The plug fitting is c rap though and looking to mod this.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast