Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Default Re: Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by HobieDave View Post
    Yes it's normal. The inverter needs a large/huge supply of amps from the battery which it may not be getting enough, due to battery and cable size.

At lower loads your setup will be OK.
    So, if I get two 12V batteries connected in parallel, that should alleviate the amps demand to some extent?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Neville set your display to scroll through the 3 values displayed when you connect the toaster so that you can get the watt reading.
    I did that and the watt readings for the toaster and microwave corresponded quite closely to the indicated wattage on the appliances' labels.

Quote Originally Posted by RussellF View Post
    in the context of this thread ...

while the inverter may be comfortable delivering 1000W or more continuously, the batteries certainly are not. most especially deep-cycle batteries.

a general rule for deep-cycle is to charge / discharge at maximum a tenth of its Ah rating. anything higher will see the plates buckle, electrolyte loss and destroy the battery, or the battery may simply explode.
    Are you not mixing up high-cycle and deep-cycle batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I did that and the watt readings for the toaster and microwave corresponded quite closely to the indicated wattage on the appliances' labels.
    The voltage reading seems inaccurate

Wow - never thought when I placed my impressions of this cheap inverter so many guys would jump in on this small value for money PSW inverter.

Lately we have enough time on LS to check it's operation.

Time to report back on my cheapest solution using my 12V 7A China pulse chargers. Yes I did indicate I use 3 of them in ||. At R175 x 3 = R525. Yes between LS sessions my 2 x Deltec start batteries do charge up to the 14.7V level and the chargers switch from normal to trickle charge. I run all my lights in the house as well as laptop and 2 routers and do switch on my 2 fridges for a short period during LS. Also use any of my power tools like drill, sander, jigsaw, router, soldering iron. There is only 1 problem. I cannot get more of these chargers for now.
    Attachment 561583

I am still waiting for my battery box to be made up at the place that does the laser cutting. I opted to make up a box that can house 3 x 102Ah batteries although I am only using 2. Good to have the space for future use and who knows if there will not be a Li-Ion included.

I have also been able to help a number of our readers with the Solar Battery from Battery Centre. I hope you guys get good service from them.
    Attachment 561584
    Where did you buy those chargers

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    The voltage reading seems inaccurate
    Sorry but I donít understand? How do you know what my voltage reading was?

Check your bat voltage with a multimeter as the beeps with the toaster could be a warning that the bat is low. At 900w you are drawing over 70A from the bat.
    I know that my battery was not fully charged at the time of the test. It was in the Bulk charge state according to my Victron solar regulator.

Sorry but I donít understand? How do you know what my voltage reading was?
    Someone else mentioned it. Mine will show about 1 volt higher on the inverter than what my multimeter and victron app says. I am assuming they are all like that.?

I've managed to subdue the nagging from the wife for awhile

OK at the moment you are trying to tow a double axle caravan with a mini. It can be done but the mini will not last. You either have to change the caravan to a single axle venter or the mini to a land cruiser or land rover. The same with the inverter capacity doesn't mean that going down the hill you can do 180 because it says it can.

It's catch 22 time. Do we upgrade the inverter or the batteries or both. I say both but then I don't know your requirements. If you only are using the microwave to reheat a babies milk bottle then go parrallel but if you want to make spaghetti bolognaise then you need a serious upgrade.

With our situation with eskom you will have no problem selling your inverter or can even swap it for a 24v version, so you will not lose money. The efficiency is way better on 24v. It's true if a battery dies you have nothing when using 24v but the other fallacy of the main battery needing to be 100% is also false, you can use that battery where needed and then restart the vehicle to charge it. Everybody's setup is different so you will have to experiment with yours before exploring in the bush.

Going with 24v or much higher capacity batteries leads to increased weight and charging requirements - more of a cost issue Do the sums on 240ah batteries x 2 whether used in parrallel or 24v versus portable butane stoves / lpg stove etc costs. The loads required are huge and battery recharge times will also need to be factored in.

I know that my battery was not fully charged at the time of the test. It was in the Bulk charge state according to my Victron solar regulator.
    What is more difficult to know is what is the condition of the battery. It can even be fully charged but it the voltage falls a lot under a 70A draw than say at a 20A draw then it could be the condition of the battery.
    When I used my Victron smart 100/20 I found the load circuit would cut out even for a voltage drop of 20mV. I could not even see it on the multimeter. Using the same load on a new battery did not replicate the cutting off the load circuit. In this test the load was only 15A.
    As you have the Victron you can get the proper Volts via the APP so it should be easy to see if the battery is the reason why your inverter beeps at 900W while mine does not.
    SWAMBO had to use the inverter for hair drying as you cannot attend a wedding with each hair not in place. Used the 900W setting on the hairdrayer and used it for about 8min and no beep at all. Battery was still above 12V under load.
    I think we should take note of Fluffys tips for using the 12V inverter. Even the guys buying big 15A+ chargers to charge the battery in time between LS cycles are charging above the normal C/10 and are drawing too much power during the LS cycle. These batteries are not going to last. Batteries are expensive so good time spent to watch the DOD.

Someone else mentioned it. Mine will show about 1 volt higher on the inverter than what my multimeter and victron app says. I am assuming they are all like that.?
    Yes mine is the same.

Edit: Photos inserted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200315_172339.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	561999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200315_172318.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	562000  
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2020/03/15 at 05:34 PM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Yes mine is the same.
    The error is non linear. At battery full voltage like 13.1V the over read error is 0.1V on mine. As the battery gets to 12.0V the error goes up to 0.7-0.8V over reading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volts-error.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	561995

This must be the first non-political thread that has 650+ posts...

@Ekkan, I'll send you a beer!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

I see this as a big problem. So the battery can in fact be fully discharged but the voltage displayed makes it look perfectly fine. I found this on the farm where we're running a fridge from an inverter. Always thought the battery is full and doing well when in fact it was never reaching a full recharge.
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    I see this as a big problem. So the battery can in fact be fully discharged but the voltage displayed makes it look perfectly fine. I found this on the farm where we're running a fridge from an inverter. Always thought the battery is full and doing well when in fact it was never reaching a full recharge.
    That is the reason why I alerted it from the beginning of this topic. It has been discussed a lot of times.
    TTT have also indicated to use a Victron bat monitor. I have indicated it and it can be seen in my pictures to even use a cheap R50 voltmeter which is more accurate than the one on the inverter. Spend R50 and save your R5000 battery bank. Or buy a battery protector to cut off the load at a higher level than 10.5V as per the inverter. Use 11.5V and your batteries will last 3-4 times longer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-volts.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	562012
    Also look at the small voltmeter I provided in pictures in post #638.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/03/15 at 06:20 PM.

Hi

Besides the Chinese New Year, how long did everyone's delivery typically take?

Hoping that I still get my inverter now that every country seems to be shutting its borders.

Mine has been sitting at Chinese Clearance since 14 March, hoping to see it get cleared today...
    2015 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD HP D/C 4x4
    2011 Conqueror Courage

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon MW3 : SOLD One day I will have another...

GP0111

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonW View Post
    Hi

Besides the Chinese New Year, how long did everyone's delivery typically take?

Hoping that I still get my inverter now that every country seems to be shutting its borders.

Mine has been sitting at Chinese Clearance since 14 March, hoping to see it get cleared today...
    I ordered 30 Jan, received 13 Feb.

Unfortunately deliveries out of China aren't necessarily going to happen as speedily as before. I'm not 100% sure of the situation, but I've heard that getting stuff from China is extremely difficult at the moment.
    Someone said I should use a first name, so here it is: Marc

Hi

I ordered mine on the 2nd of March, and got it on the 11th of March.
    I ordered the 24V one and I set it up this weekend.
    My system was changed from 12V to 24V.
    So far its working good.
    Last edited by R1Biker; 2020/03/16 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    PS - I am posting a "DIY build" Load Shedding UPS thread this weekend with plans and shopping list. Dont tell anybody.
    Hallo Uncle Fluffy

Just checking in on the progress here ... do you perhaps need a couple of beers to finish it, just let me know where I need to deliver

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques Joubert For This Useful Post:

Agge no man.

Where is the cheap shipping options now?

Only two options available which is registered air parcel and EMS Express Mail Service at R1065.05 and R1918.97 respectively. What are they smoking?

Want to order a 4000W 24V version as well but not at those shipping prices.

Seems its only for this particular mode and only the Changi. The other models and makes have normal shipping options.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2020/03/16 at 07:16 PM.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast