Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter - Page 20

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Default Re: Impressed with China Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Where could one buy a 30 amp one and at what cost. I would also rather buy a better quality charger.
    Another option

https://www.sustainable.co.za/victron-blue-smart-ip22-12v-30a-battery-charger.html

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    Which China Mall? My dad is looking for something to charge his 7Ah he uses for his light during loadshedding, his Benton doesn't charge the 7Ah.
    You can contact me. I have sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    No, that's not what I meant.

I meant the 30A charger is not 4.x times the cost of the 7A charger so if you buy the 30A charger you are getting discount for bulk amps
    Good to see that the 15A and 30A versions do not go into float mode. That is the very reason why I mentioned to Swart Kat to test the bigger models and that is why I alerted to this problem. The 7A version goes into float mode at the exact voltage even if more than 1 is used in ||.

I can just say more batteries are killed by not being charged while stored than batteries if any that will be damaged by the 7A charger. Surely 2 years of 24/7/365 is enough time to have determined that the 7A charger will damage a battery.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/21 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    with the price of batteries, I think i'm not taking any chances. I can get any of the two below chargers, at very decent prices (according to me)

Which one of the two would be suited for my application? Please ....

2 x 105ah lead acids in parallel. Electronics continuously running off the inverter with a recommended charger.
    To run 2 x routers, a laptop, a dstv decoder and a TV at night.
    The Blue Power 12V charger will be fine. Bear in mind as you will be drawing close to 20A you need the charger to charge at more than 20A if the equipment is on all the time while the grid is on.

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    I suspect those tiny battery leads at 30A will any bystanders into byrunners or byhiders very quickly..
    Luckily the 30A version cannot deliver 30A so those leads are fine !!

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    My dad uses a BX2, the BX2 doesn't charge 7Ah batteries, how it knows it is a 7Ah battery I don't know but in practice it doesn't work, I confirmed this with Eric as well, and the specs also states that it is meant for..............
    You won't have this problem with the 12V 7A charger. It will be happy to charge any 12V battery even small 2.6Ah up to 100Ah although on the larger batteries it will take very long if deep discharged.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/21 at 01:56 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Kieck View Post
    200AH Sosolar Gel Battery
    Optimate 5 Charger (Holding thumbs it will manage this monster battery)
    Help me out here. I do see how a Optimate 5 can charge a 200ah battery for loadshedding?
    Yes it can charge and maintain a battery up to 192Ah, but no fast charging like for loadshedding.

A 200ah needs about 20 amps to recharge daily. (10% of AH)
    Or 30 amps if you have 2 loadsheds a day. (15% of AH)

What am I missing?
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I ordered my Chinese 3000W inverter two days ago, and Iíve just realized that I ordered the 24V one instead of the 12V one, and I only have one 12V deep cycle battery in my camper!

The order is already on its way, so I canít change or cancel it.

What are my options? Get an additional 12V battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I ordered my Chinese 3000W inverter two days ago, and Iíve just realized that I ordered the 24V one instead of the 12V one, and I only have one 12V deep cycle battery in my camper!

Advertise it here ... buy a 12v one?
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I have a 12 V that I ordered but have not used yet. If you want to swap the 12v for a 24 v let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I have a 12 V that I ordered but have not used yet. If you want to swap the 12v for a 24 v let me know..
    Thanks, I will bear that in mind. Let me first make sure it is a 24V one when it arrives.

Where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Help me out here. I do see how a Optimate 5 can charge a 200ah battery for loadshedding?
    Yes it can charge and maintain a battery up to 192Ah, but no fast charging like for loadshedding.

What am I missing?
    You are looking at the 6V mode rating.
    In 12V mode it's meant to only charge batteries up to 120Ah output is 2.8A.
    In 6V mode 4A output.

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    You are looking at the 6V mode rating.
    In 12V mode it's meant to only charge batteries up to 120Ah output is 2.8A.
    In 6V mode 4A output.
    I was looking at this one, the 12v one: https://optimate-battery-charger.co....rtstop-tm-220/

You looking at this one: https://optimate-battery-charger.co.za/shop/optimate-5/

Both still a ways off the amps needed to charge battery that is used, the 20 - 30amps I mentioned.

I quote for both the above pages:
    Perfect for months-long maintenance ...
    ... 120Ah, although it can also maintain larger batteries (it will just take longer to charge).

Not for loadshedding charging.

Hi.

I will buy it of you if nobody else take it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post

What am I missing?
    May be this can be an option to consider if one would like to charge batteries quickly but not fully to prepare for the next LS cycle. It could be an idea to use with a timer to limit overcharge if adjusted higher than 13.8V

It is adjustable within +/- 10% from the 12V output. These power supplies are used by some people I know that are quite clever with electronics and batteries. They are available from about 5A I think up to 30A.

Adjusting pot on the far right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power-supply-20-30amp.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	559092

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    May be this can be an option to consider if one would like to charge batteries quickly but not fully to prepare for the next LS cycle. It could be an idea to use with a timer to limit overcharge if adjusted higher than 13.8V

It is adjustable within +/- 10% from the 12V output. These power supplies are used by some people I know that are quite clever with electronics and batteries. They are available from about 5A I think up to 30A.

Adjusting pot on the far right.

Name:	power-supply-20-30amp.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	559092
    I didnt know they have an adjustable one. I was thinking of getting a 30a like in the pic and by some trickery boost it up to 13,4v or whats needed. Is this what they call a buck converter .?That 30 amp 12v transformer is something like R280

I didnt know they have an adjustable one. I was thinking of getting a 30a like in the pic and by some trickery boost it up to 13,4v or whats needed. Is this what they call a buck converter .?That 30 amp 12v transformer is something like R280
    That is a great price. My estimate was based on a 2013 price list from a country wide group as indicated in the picture.

Not easy to boost 30A if you perhaps got a 12V unit. Very easy in the up to 5A range.

No this is a PC type of common power supply. Not called a buck or boost. Just ask for a 220 to 12V adjustable power supply. It has become common in the last few years and China Malls also stock them. Pricing could be about R500-R700 not sure.

Name:	400va-trfr.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	559111
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/21 at 10:25 PM.

Hi

Our company usedto utilise the 5A one to charge a 17ah battery as an alarm back up.
    The second time it charged the battery up from almost flat the power supply pops.
    We are now using a 5A power supply with build in charger, works 100%
    I use a 30A(cost R220) one to keep two 75A CSB batteries charged, been using it for a year now, no issues.
    It is set on 14V.
    Last edited by R1Biker; 2020/02/21 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Biker View Post
    Hi

I use a 30A(cost R220) one to keep two 75A CSB batteries charged, been using it for a year now, no issues.
    It is set on 14V.
    Please supply a name of a seller of these - apart from China Malls.

This would be the cheapest option for charging after LS.

Recently I found one of them just suddenly giving out 17V when set to 13.6V. After the increase in Volts it would not adjust up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Please supply a name of a seller of these - apart from China Malls.

This would be the cheapest option for charging after LS.

Recently I found one of them just suddenly giving out 17V when set to 13.6V. After the increase in Volts it would not adjust up or down.
    Hi

Its a local guy in Vanderbijlpark.
    I have had it going up to 15V, but it was the 5A version.
    I installed a volt meter on mine so I can monitor it.

Can someone give me advice how to add a volt and amp metre on my charger? Its a pain having to do it with my voltmetre!!
    ----------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Current
    Overland CRD 2009 (Oh hell yes!!)
    Mopar Superchip - 200kw 600Nm, 50mm lift, Dick Cepek rims, rear bash plate, Mopar towhitch.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, SOLD
    Laredo, 2004 - V8 4.7L (Oh yes!!)
    2.5" lift, BulliProp!, 245/75/R17 Wrangler A/T's

Audi A4, FOR SALE
    Exec. 2001 - 2L (mmmmm!)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Can someone give me advice how to add a volt and amp metre on my charger? Its a pain having to do it with my voltmetre!!
    There is a case to be made to use a BMV's to manage battery usage, especially the ones that has a Bluetooth connection, you get the App for free from Victron.

Now I know it is "expensive", but if a BMV saves you one early battery bank replacement, it has paid for it self.

And it is for ALL types and shapes of lead Acid batteries, it is quite programmable ... even for lithium banks that don't have a good BMS that gives their correct SOC.

Stationary or in a vehicle, wherever a battery is used to power that which we hold dear, like cold beer.

Batteries, especially lead acid, is all about the SOC / DOD. If you can run a bank at a max SOC of 80% / DOD of 20%, and seldom go below that, you will get the best ROI out of that bank.

Have a look: https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors

Invest in one, it will help you manage your bank better.

FWIW. using volts to check the SOC of any battery, just does not work. No. It, Does. Not.
    To properly check the SOC based on their volts, the batteries should have "rested" for at least 24 hours, so I read.
    The most accurate way to check a lead acid, get a hydrometer. But that is effort. BMV is not.

You need a shunt to measure what went in, and what was drawn from the batteries, to get, as close to as possible, the actual SOC.

Now I know that on a R1800 battery it does not make sense ... till you are on your 3-4th replacement where if you managed it properly from the start, you could have needed 1 battery, or you realised early on, you need 2 or more batteries from the start.

And on a R5k-R50k lead acid bank ... if you don't have a BMV, you are either extremely brave or very rich, to not spend on a BMV.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast