Discovery 4 Landrover Discovery 4 2010 TDV6 SE Turbocharger

Default Landrover Discovery 4 2010 TDV6 SE Turbocharger

My Discovery displays warning triangle with restricted performance message on start. On hard acceleration a lot of white/grey smoke is emitted from the exhaust. This burns away after a while. Red triangle then displays and vehicle goes into limp mode. Diagnostic points to turbo articulater stuck in open position.
    What does this mean? Does the turbocharger need to be replaced? Can the articulater be freed without separation of body? Any recommended workshops in Hermanus?
    Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Wiseman1; 2020/01/22 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: Landrover Discovery 4 2010 TDV6 SE Turbocharger

A classic case where Two stroke oil Jaso spec will fix this problem.
    You can get the actuator loose by making a hook of bloudraad ans some Q20 WD40 type lubricant
    Pse pm George Bosch , and he will give you all the info, how to cure this problem
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Thanks Koos. I have read about the 2SO. Seemed too good to be true but thanks for confirmation that this can help.
    How do I contact George? Do you perhaps have his email address?
    Many thanks and I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman1 View Post
    Thanks Koos. I have read about the 2SO. Seemed too good to be true but thanks for confirmation that this can help.
    How do I contact George? Do you perhaps have his email address?
    Many thanks and I appreciate your help.
    Hi wiseman1

Koos Best referred you to me

There are two issues on the D4's turbo. It actually has 2 turbos compared to the D3 TDV6 which only has one. The 1st issue is to verify that the oil return hose modification has been made. This routes the oil return hose to a location lower down, which improves oil drain from the turbo back into the sump.

The 2nd issue is the classic carbon build up around the Variable vane actuator ring. This will restrict travel of the ring which controls the opening or closing position of the vanes. JASO FC compliant 2sO has an additive, which actively removes oil carbon deposits and prevents new build up.

I use it on both our LR diesels, the big body Range and the D3 TDV6 on every fill up, one bottle of 500ml 2sO. I use the SASOL one, because it comes in a sealed bottle, which prevents leaking and causing a mess in the vehicle. On long trips I always carry sufficient stock with me. The correct mixing ratio is 5ml per 1 liter of diesel fuel or 500ml per 100 liters. For initial dosage add 1 liter per tank for the initial 3 fill ups. Then go for the 1:200 ratio. That should sort it out.

Both our vehicles are EGR blanked and de-catted. Exponentially increases reliability

Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blocked VVT.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	555689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VVT with 2sO added to Diesel.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	555690  
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2020/01/25 at 11:14 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details