TR Kenya Dec/Jan 20: of roaring rivers, a muddy Mara and 50 shades of green - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: TR Kenya Dec/Jan 20: of roaring rivers, a muddy Mara and 50 shades of green

Hi all,

Today Jomo Kenyatta International AirPort opened to international passengers. Next week we are planning on driving from Nairobi to the Mara. We usually camp at a private site near to the Sand River Gate. My Sister In Law stayed there last week with her husband for 2 nights. They did not go to the watch the migration as they did not want to see the Wilderbeest getting munched, it was a little break to get away from Nairobi where we all live.

Thank you Anne for a superb and thrilling report which I read out to my wife. We loved your photos, thank you very much for sharing.

We should have been in the Western Cape at this time visiting the family farm on the Helderberg Mountain, but had to cancel our flights because of the restrictions.

A fantastic thread, thank you all for commenting.

phil

Default Re: TR Kenya Dec/Jan 20: of roaring rivers, a muddy Mara and 50 shades of green

My apologies Anne for the behaviour of the police on the highway at Thika. Their speed trap is hidden out of sight behind a brow of a dip in the road. What they do there, is to drop the national speed limit to 30 kph.

I was caught there last year and pulled over with the same story from the police officer who was wearing 3 stripes on his pullover. He alleged I was 7 kph over the speed limit and it was a serious offence. He added, I will be arrested, my 4x4 impounded and I will have to spend the night in a cell in the police station, the
    next day I will be in court at Thika.

As he went on and on with this, I said “yes - arrest me and I will see you in court”. What ever he said, I refused to be intimidated or buckle and he did lay it on, saying I could be fined up to 30,000 shillings.

Then he said, he would find it difficult to find a police officer to accompany me to the police station as all of his officers were involved in the speed trap.

Then the subtle bribe came....” I see you are a nice person and I want to help you”......

I asked him to check my rear view mirror as I had a dash camera there and in the rear door.
    ”Everything is being recorded”.

He laughed and told me to go.

It’s not a very nice feeling being pulled over and asked for a bribe and I hope it didn’t mark your vacation with an unpleasant start.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    Hi all, Today Jomo Kenyatta International AirPort opened to international passengers. Next week we are planning on driving from Nairobi to the Mara. We usually camp at a private site near to the Sand River Gate. ... " phil
    Yes Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda are opening their International airports from the 1st August. Airlines are bombarding us with "indecent" airfares that are very tempting....

Phil, may we know which private camp are you referring to?

Have a wonderful break and please do enjoy it thoroughly!!!

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2020/08/01 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post

Phil, may we know which private camp are you referring to?

AP
    I am also intrigued as to what “private campsite near Sand River Gate” Phil is referring too. The Governor of Narok County banned all camping in the greater Maasai Mara area (excluding the official private and public campsites in the Mara Conservancy (“the Mara Triangle”)) about two years ago. The campsite at Sand River was then closed. My understanding is that it is still officially closed. I will check with my contacts in Kenya, but would also like to hear from Phil.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/08/02 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks a lot for your kind comment.

The event with the police did not spoil the start of our holidays - luckily Matthias keeps a cool head in such situations and it was the only bad experience with the Kenyan police on our whole trip.

I hope you have a wonderful stay in the Mara and would love to hear about your camping. Safe travels, anne

Quote Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    Hi all,

Today Jomo Kenyatta International AirPort opened to international passengers. Next week we are planning on driving from Nairobi to the Mara. We usually camp at a private site near to the Sand River Gate. My Sister In Law stayed there last week with her husband for 2 nights. They did not go to the watch the migration as they did not want to see the Wilderbeest getting munched, it was a little break to get away from Nairobi where we all live.

Thank you Anne for a superb and thrilling report which I read out to my wife. We loved your photos, thank you very much for sharing.

We should have been in the Western Cape at this time visiting the family farm on the Helderberg Mountain, but had to cancel our flights because of the restrictions.

A fantastic thread, thank you all for commenting.

phil

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4