Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Age
    45
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    very happy I didn’t get a jimny and join the hair dressers club
    I'm not sure a hair dresser would know what to do with a Jimny?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    514
    Thanked: 76

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ray View Post
    I'm not sure a hair dresser would know what to do with a Jimny?
    I wouldn’t know either, ask a jimny owner maybe

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    950
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
    It does mean I will have to put my back seat back in as it has been out for the past few years.
    I had an accident last year with my Nissan Navara that caused my curtain airbags to deploy. After experiencing the violent explosion of an airbag first hand, I can tell you with complete conviction to

    NEVER put a small child in the front seat of a vehicle where a front airbag can potentialy hit them in the event of an accident.

    So yes the backseat has to go back in.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2020/02/03 at 05:39 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    I didn't even think of packing space - could imagine nothing worse than trying to go away for a weekend away with a baby in the Jimny, the boot basically just fits the pram.


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Seeing that there's a new Jimny, can I resurect this thread again? or has someone asked this question already?
    New Jimny and a baby? is it worth the extra effort?
    My current considerations for a new car is: a new Jimny or used isuzu double cab.
    the Jimny would be a fun more emotional purchase, while the isuzu will be a practical purchase.

    I just don't know if the extra hassle of 2 less doors and much less packing space is worth it.
    I REALLY like the new Jimny though, like REALLY.

    Any thoughts you guys have would be great.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    989
    Thanked: 1713

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    I drive a Isuzu and our little guy is almost two.

    Trust me, you will NEVER regret the extra space a bakkie gives.

    And no, it will be a major hassle trying to maneuver a rear facing child seat with no rear doors.

    Go for the bakkie.
    Stephan G

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:


  8. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,871
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    It might work if its just to quickly shoot to the shops or something like that, but, anything else I just cant see it working.
    Even just going to a mates house for a braai, the back of the Patrol is full - plastic motorbike, balance bike (he insists on both!), soccer ball, pram (ok, we have a new baby and the 3yr old now), nappy bag, cooler box. Thats just for a braai.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  10. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieXJ View Post
    Seeing that there's a new Jimny, can I resurect this thread again? or has someone asked this question already?
    New Jimny and a baby? is it worth the extra effort?
    My current considerations for a new car is: a new Jimny or used isuzu double cab.
    the Jimny would be a fun more emotional purchase, while the isuzu will be a practical purchase.

    I just don't know if the extra hassle of 2 less doors and much less packing space is worth it.
    I REALLY like the new Jimny though, like REALLY.

    Any thoughts you guys have would be great.
    You could also break off your finger in your.....

    From a practicality point of view with a new born, I think it's gonna be hard.

    First thing would be the baby seat. Getting the little one in and out of the seat via the front door is going to be a hassle. Again. It can be done.
    Then you have all the sundries that come with a little one. Baby bag. Pram/stroller. Cot ect ect. Space for that is going to be limited. Guess you can always cart around a trailer.
    Then there is the suitcases if you are going away for a weekend. Again, trailer could fix that.

    Then the wife is going to want to sit with little one at the back for the first few times. Would she be comfortable sitting between all the baggage? Hardly any space to move once in?

    From someone who has gone through 2 baby phases, packing space (enough of it) is essential.
    I sold a DC for a SUV, because while driving and mom needs something from the boot, I always had to stop next to the road. With the SUV boot, she can reach back and get it.

    Edit: And like some have mentioned, once they get bigger, the pram and cot and baby bag makes way for plastic bikes and bigger toys.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/03/02 at 04:02 PM.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Planet of the Apes
    Age
    37
    Posts
    343
    Thanked: 252

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieXJ View Post
    Seeing that there's a new Jimny, can I resurect this thread again? or has someone asked this question already?
    New Jimny and a baby? is it worth the extra effort?
    My current considerations for a new car is: a new Jimny or used isuzu double cab.
    the Jimny would be a fun more emotional purchase, while the isuzu will be a practical purchase.

    I just don't know if the extra hassle of 2 less doors and much less packing space is worth it.
    I REALLY like the new Jimny though, like REALLY.

    Any thoughts you guys have would be great.
    You are gonna cry with the Jimny. My brother had a ittle girl last year and he drove a Polo 1.2 TSi. To fit the baby seat in the back the front passenger seat has to go almost to the front so there's very little leg room in front. He sold the Polo and bought a Isuzu D-Max 250, the baby seat fits and he can move the front passenger seat all the way to the back without even touching the seat. Don't forget about boot space for the pram.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:


  14. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    950
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Living with a Jimny and a baby

    For the price of a new Jimny you can buy a demo Mahindra Scorpio 4x4, or any of the bakkie based SUV's or double cabs still with below 100 000km if you don't mind the 5 years age. All much more practical options. The Jimny is a cool toy, but definitely not a practical family car by any stretch of the imagination.

    If you buy a Jimny to haul a baby and all the parefenalia that goes with babies around you will need to tow a trailer on a permanent basis.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2021/03/03 at 07:11 AM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:


  16. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Thanks so much to all of you for commenting so quickly. Deep down, I knew this would be the answers coming my wayz I just needed to hear it.
    And also thanks for the suggestion of looking into an SUV, I'll have a look around ag my options. Feel free to let me know what the options were that you had in mind, I doubt I'll go for the Mahindra, I'm biased towards reliability, in my opinion, the brand hasn't proven itself enough for me yet.
    But yes, you make a strong point with regards to reaching the boot space from inside.
    I think deep down I have this longing to build an overlander/camper, the DC just fits that picture well for me, but will I ever build it in reality? Probably not. Although I will more than likely spend extra on an aluminium canopy with side access, if I go for the DC.

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieXJ View Post
    Thanks so much to all of you for commenting so quickly. Deep down, I knew this would be the answers coming my wayz I just needed to hear it.
    And also thanks for the suggestion of looking into an SUV, I'll have a look around ag my options. Feel free to let me know what the options were that you had in mind, I doubt I'll go for the Mahindra, I'm biased towards reliability, in my opinion, the brand hasn't proven itself enough for me yet.
    But yes, you make a strong point with regards to reaching the boot space from inside.
    I think deep down I have this longing to build an overlander/camper, the DC just fits that picture well for me, but will I ever build it in reality? Probably not. Although I will more than likely spend extra on an aluminium canopy with side access, if I go for the DC.
    The thing is, everyone can only comment on their own personal experience.

    The reason we went with the SUV is the ease of access to items in the boot when mom is sitting at the back. If she quickly needs a extra baby towel when the little one is busy puking on themselves and the back seat, first getting a spot to stop safely with a double cab takes time and by then your back seat is....well...ruined.

    SUV's are also more comfortable (in ergonomics and ride comfort) for mom and the little one. Back seats can normally recline into the boot area, which makes it nice for the baby when he/she needs to sleep.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, Happy wife, happy life.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  18. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    The thing is, everyone can only comment on their own personal experience.

    The reason we went with the SUV is the ease of access to items in the boot when mom is sitting at the back. If she quickly needs a extra baby towel when the little one is busy puking on themselves and the back seat, first getting a spot to stop safely with a double cab takes time and by then your back seat is....well...ruined.

    SUV's are also more comfortable (in ergonomics and ride comfort) for mom and the little one. Back seats can normally recline into the boot area, which makes it nice for the baby when he/she needs to sleep.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, Happy wife, happy life.
    Yup, I fully get your point.
    All I'm saying is that you make a good point, I understand that it's your opinion, but I value it. As this is my first child, I didn't think of all these smaller nuances, think I was just avoiding an SUV, because in my mind, it's for the "older dad" haha. But thanks again. Okay, feels like I'm taking this thread completely off topic. I'll go look for another thread with opinions on bakkie based SUV's, Everest looks good, but haven't heard great things about reliability... Off I go down another rabbit hole.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to NewbieXJ For This Useful Post:


  20. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    34
    Posts
    987
    Thanked: 1353

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Being a new dad myself, I can forewarn you that space is a major issue. I find me 5 door Freelander 2 lacking in space, I'd hate to think what life would be in a Jimny.

    Another big consideration for me now is safety rating of a car. You want your precious cargo to be as safe as possible on the road.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2021/03/03 at 09:09 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:


  22. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    989
    Thanked: 1713

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    We previously had a Trailblazer (before the baby). Loved it.

    But I really do like the versatility that a double cab brings. There's space for the essentials in the cab (nappy bag, food/bottle bag) and my wife has no issue sitting in the back of the Isuzu with the little one.

    Then the load bin to my mind, must have a canopy with side gull wing doors. You can just [email protected] in everything. Because for a weekend away you will pack 62 sets of clothes (warm / mild / cool / cold / freezing / cute for photos). By you I mean your wife.

    Then you have the luxury of chucking in the camping cot and mattress so that you and happy wife can actually share a bed while on holiday.

    And when they drive their scooter into a mud pit and roll around with laughter you can throw the dirty clothes, bike and whatever in the back and hose it down when you get home.

    Thinking overlanding - check the space a second battery and a fridge take in the back of a Fortuner vs the back of a bakkie. You don't have to build a fully geared overlander but you can start with basics to make your holiday better.

    The SUV is nicer and rides better. The bakkie is a practical compromise (imo of course).
    Stephan G

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:


  24. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SSW
    Posts
    251
    Thanked: 535

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Listen to Groenman

    Our boy is almost 4 and little girl will be here in May. Even with only my boy an SUV with a big boot didnt cut it. Now have a DC and we cant be more happy, more than enough space and dont have to worry about messing up the back of your vehicle with dirty stuff. When we go camping I dont have to worry where im going to fit everything, I usually have space left.

    On another note, my boy loves the bakkie, he hates going to shops, but when I say im going to the shops quickly with the bakkie he is in before I can properly open the garage door.
    Triton 3.2 Auto 4x4

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Die Uwe For This Useful Post:


  26. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    We previously had a Trailblazer (before the baby). Loved it.

    But I really do like the versatility that a double cab brings. There's space for the essentials in the cab (nappy bag, food/bottle bag) and my wife has no issue sitting in the back of the Isuzu with the little one.

    Then the load bin to my mind, must have a canopy with side gull wing doors. You can just [email protected] in everything. Because for a weekend away you will pack 62 sets of clothes (warm / mild / cool / cold / freezing / cute for photos). By you I mean your wife.

    Then you have the luxury of chucking in the camping cot and mattress so that you and happy wife can actually share a bed while on holiday.

    And when they drive their scooter into a mud pit and roll around with laughter you can throw the dirty clothes, bike and whatever in the back and hose it down when you get home.

    Thinking overlanding - check the space a second battery and a fridge take in the back of a Fortuner vs the back of a bakkie. You don't have to build a fully geared overlander but you can start with basics to make your holiday better.

    The SUV is nicer and rides better. The bakkie is a practical compromise (imo of course).
    Thank you Groenman, great points here too. I'll deliberate with myself and SWAMBO.
    It definitely seems as if I'm leaning in the direction of a DC or bakkie based SUV at this point. I think the Jimny was a dream that I kind of knew already long ago, wouldn't really come to reality, I just didn't want to accept it.

    I agree with spending the extra money on a canopy with gullwing doors, and loading ammo boxes, and keeping the bottom of the load bin for the dirty stuff, that's a great idea.

  27. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Debbin
    Age
    39
    Posts
    417
    Thanked: 116

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    For a brief moment in time I also considered a Jimny
    I don’t have kids yet. But quickly realised its impractical, and I came to my senses.

    Also wanted a double cab, but they come a a premium over suvs

    wr all want the perfect over lander or weekend vehicle, but in reality 95% of us spend 95% of our time om road. No point in getting a 60/40 vehicle once you realize that.

    I have decided on getting a Pajero sport.
    Reliability, more gadgets than the equivalent double cab, and practical enough, with low range.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:


  29. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    950
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    I would caution you to think of your purchase in a practical way when it comes to deciding on a suv vs double cab, having owned more than one of each type. Double cabs are the answer if you are going to so serious overlanding, BUT if you have a baby in your house are you really going to do serious overlanding for the next 6-10 years? Small kids are terrible travel companions.

    The aspects which I have found are compromised with double cabs vs suv's are the following. Back seats are very upright compared to suv's, leg space is not as big. Most suv's have proper rear ventilation and some can be set independently from the front. Dust and water is a problem with transporting stuff in the back of the double cab. Maybe some canopies these days are better but I don't like canopies, they rattle and squeak. I always had roller bin covers on my bakkies. The whole idea of having a bin is supposed to be that you can load oversize stuff that can't fit into an suv.

    It's difficult to load and unload everyday stuff. The bins are too deep from the side unless you are way over 6ft, and even if you are, your wife may not be, so she won't get stuff loaded or unloaded over the side. To reach over the tailgate is also not easy unless you are tall, so you need to keep plastic trays with a ratchet bar to keep your small items like groceries from sliding all over the place and to then have to climb on top of the bin to retrieve them. The tailgates are usually heavy and uncomfortable for most women to use. Trust me your wife will hate using the vehicle by herself for this reason alone! SUV's are much more practical in this regard.

    These days, my wife drives a Ford Everest XLS auto (Non 4x4), it's a fantastic family vehicle. If I need to load dirty stuff like sods of grass, garden rubbish or things that are too tall to fit in the car itself I use a small trailer, or rent a big one for the day if necessary. This happens about once or twice a year, but I don't need to live with the compromises of a load bin on a double cab every day of the year.

    The 4x4 is not needed for my lifestyle as I don't need it to go hunting, tow my boat or trailer. I don't do anything worse than the odd gravel road. If I did use 4x4 occasionally without the need for real overlanding I would pick a 4x4 suv, but in the last 10 years of having owned 4x4's I can count on one hand the times that I actually needed or used it.

    If one needs a bakkie on a regular basis for work or you do serious overlanding where you would want to customise your vehicle for this purpose a double cab would be the only sensible way to go, but for using a vehicle for everyday family use and holidays I would choose an suv every time!

    But that's just me.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:


  31. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    659
    Thanked: 3011

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Whatever you decide on, make sure it either has a good quality seat cover or leather seats.

    Snot en kots is maar moeilik om uit materiaal sitplekke te kry.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    "When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •