Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fourways
    Age
    32
    Posts
    147
    Thanked: 9

    Default Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Hi Guys

    Does any one here own a Jimny and have a new born?

    If you do how is the experience living with both? i.e taking out baby seat and so on?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanked: 4030

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by mattvdm View Post
    Hi Guys

    Does any one here own a Jimny and have a new born?

    If you do how is the experience living with both? i.e taking out baby seat and so on?
    I have done the and its not so bad. If you love your Jimny enough it wont be a problem. Packing space becomes a bit of a problem though.
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    I think we would have died - moved from my Jimny to a FJ Cruiser just before my wife got pregnant (was unexpected - we'd settled on the fact it wasn't going to happen )- and the FJ Cruiser is difficult enough.

    I think once you have a fixed seat in the vehicle, it'd get a bit easier - but the taking in and out of the new born seat will be a mission with no back doors.
    Last edited by xrapidx; 2020/01/22 at 12:22 PM.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanked: 1946

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by mattvdm View Post
    Hi Guys

    Does any one here own a Jimny and have a new born?

    If you do how is the experience living with both? i.e taking out baby seat and so on?
    I have, my daughter and Jimny turning 7 this year.

    I had no issues. My baby seat was a snug and safe that clipped onto a base.

    Thereafter had the Ferrari seat that also had a built in booster seat.
    Sent from my iPhone


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    514
    Thanked: 197

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Speak to minibus taxi drivers, they somehow get 48 kids into a Quantum.....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Debbin
    Age
    39
    Posts
    417
    Thanked: 115

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    I think we would have died - moved from my Jimny to a FJ Cruiser just before my wife got pregnant (was unexpected - we'd settled on the fact it wasn't going to happen )- and the FJ Cruiser is difficult enough.

    I think once you have a fixed seat in the vehicle, it'd get a bit easier - but the taking in and out of the new born seat will be a mission with no back doors.
    Sorry to OP for going a bit off topic brand, but why is the fj a problem with a baby?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    949
    Thanked: 1324

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Buy a Renault Duster 4wd!
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    Sorry to OP for going a bit off topic brand, but why is the fj a problem with a baby?
    Just difficult getting the baby in with her rear facing seat - also, the passenger front seat has to move quite a bit forward. My wife and myself are quite tall, 1.83m and 1.87m - so the passenger seat is pretty much not usable.

    I have a little Aygo for work and back - its easier getting the seat in the Aygo than it is the FJ.
    Last edited by xrapidx; 2020/01/30 at 07:50 AM.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanked: 1946

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Buy a Renault Duster 4wd!
    Duster is a problem child.
    Sent from my iPhone


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jhb, Lesotho
    Age
    60
    Posts
    680
    Thanked: 279

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Why? Do you own one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Duster is a problem child.
    Jan van Zeeventer

    2014 Duster 1.5DCi
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    949
    Thanked: 1324

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Duster is a problem child.
    On what is that comment based?
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    949
    Thanked: 1324

    Default Living with a Jimny and a baby

    What I can tell you is that it is really comfortable, the suspension does very well on our less than perfect secondary roads.
    It's super light on diesel.

    It is very well equiped, mine has surround cameras plus rear pdc, satnav, apple car play, cruise control and climate control.

    From what I have seen on the internet, they can hold their own in most reasonable offroad scenarios, it is great on gravel roads (first hand experience).

    Space wize it's about the same as a Golf, where as a Jimny is the size of half a Polo.
    For someone who has a baby to drive around, to loose the low range transfer case that the Jimny has and gain on every other aspect of what the Jimny does't offer should be a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2020/02/01 at 08:38 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Age
    45
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    A car with 4 doors and fair sized boot would be a lot more convenient, I guess it depends what you want.
    A 2 door car and a baby will certainly be more of a faf.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edgemead
    Age
    50
    Posts
    547
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    I am following this with great interest. We have three month old girl that I will soon have to transport in my Jimny. Our other vehicle is Nissan Qashqai with loads of space. It is the mommy mobile but at times I will have to put her in my Jimny as well. It does mean I will have to put my back seat back in as it has been out for the past few years.

    I do want to request other posters to keep this thread on topic as i already see derailing taking place.
    Marius Reitz
    Nissan Xtrail
    Astronomy and Telescopes
    Chairperson for ASSA - Cape Center
    • 13.1 inch custom built truss telescope on a dobsonian mount
    • 10 inch Meade SCT
    • 8 inch Celestron SCT Powerstar
    • 8 inch Skywatcher reflector on a Celestron CGEM mount
    • 8 inch Orion SkyQuest
    • 6 inch Orion reflector on a EQ5 mount
    • 5 inch Konus Maksutov Cassegrain on a EQ3 mount
    • 5 inch Alter Maksutov Cassegrain on a EQ4 mount
    • 15x70 Celestron Skymaster binoculars on a parallelogram mount

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    58
    Posts
    776
    Thanked: 421

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Raised 2 boys, first with a SJ410, then a SJ413. For a few years we had 2 kiddy seats in the back. It stayed my wifes main transport throughout although we also had a Defender for big trips. The Suzuki was the everyday fetch and deliver car. Only thing that caused a problem was when both boys played keeper and we had to load 2 hocky keeper kits. Roofrack and stretchies solved that one. Only mistake I made was to sell it, because it would have been the perfect vehicle for when they started driving. Now 19 and 21 years old respectively. Do whatever you do, even buy a bigger car, but KEEP the Jimny, that would be my advice!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    58
    Posts
    776
    Thanked: 421

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ray View Post
    A car with 4 doors and fair sized boot would be a lot more convenient, I guess it depends what you want.
    A 2 door car and a baby will certainly be more of a faf.
    Easy to load the baby into a kiddy seat (in the back) by doing it through the back door. Much easier than to do it through the front door.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanked: 1946

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    On what is that comment based?
    My colleague and I bought our vehicles at the same time. He has a Duster, me a Jimny. Both are 2013 models. For oil services, he paid R3k at Renault (75 000km service) I paid R1200 for my 75 000km service at Suzuki.

    When we book our services in December, I take him to Renault and a few days later he takes me to Suzuki for my service. Many a time, I end up taking him back to Renault to sort out issues during the year. So far, I never had to ask to return the favour.

    I do 4x4 with my Jimny, he uses it to commute to work and home. He had to replace shocks (this driving on road)

    Eventually, he decided to sell. So he wanted to trade it in. Resale is a shocker. For a vehicle that cost more than mine new, he gets less for market related than what I would get for trade. So, he kept it - pay the higher service cost and pays the hefty price for parts due to reliability issues.

    Back to the baby issue, my daughter is 7 years old this year. Same age as my Jimny. Had her in the baby seat from day 1. Very happy I never sold the Jimny for another vehicle - especially a Dustbin.
    Sent from my iPhone


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    949
    Thanked: 1324

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    My colleague and I bought our vehicles at the same time. He has a Duster, me a Jimny. Both are 2013 models. For oil services, he paid R3k at Renault (75 000km service) I paid R1200 for my 75 000km service at Suzuki.

    When we book our services in December, I take him to Renault and a few days later he takes me to Suzuki for my service. Many a time, I end up taking him back to Renault to sort out issues during the year. So far, I never had to ask to return the favour.

    I do 4x4 with my Jimny, he uses it to commute to work and home. He had to replace shocks (this driving on road)

    Eventually, he decided to sell. So he wanted to trade it in. Resale is a shocker. For a vehicle that cost more than mine new, he gets less for market related than what I would get for trade. So, he kept it - pay the higher service cost and pays the hefty price for parts due to reliability issues.

    Back to the baby issue, my daughter is 7 years old this year. Same age as my Jimny. Had her in the baby seat from day 1. Very happy I never sold the Jimny for another vehicle - especially a Dustbin.
    Fair enough. I have a new Duster, drive train the same as the old one's but the refinement is much, much better. Will still see what reliabilty is like I am currently at about 15k km. But I still don't think its a bad option, as with any vehicle some owner will have issues. It still lookkes like nothing major that comes up, I still believe for the OP's circumstances it's a better fit. I am sure if you create a "problems" thread on any vehicle, none would come out with a clean sheet on the other side, not even the "invincible" Land Cruiser.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    514
    Thanked: 76

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    My colleague and I bought our vehicles at the same time. He has a Duster, me a Jimny. Both are 2013 models. For oil services, he paid R3k at Renault (75 000km service) I paid R1200 for my 75 000km service at Suzuki.

    When we book our services in December, I take him to Renault and a few days later he takes me to Suzuki for my service. Many a time, I end up taking him back to Renault to sort out issues during the year. So far, I never had to ask to return the favour.

    I do 4x4 with my Jimny, he uses it to commute to work and home. He had to replace shocks (this driving on road)

    Eventually, he decided to sell. So he wanted to trade it in. Resale is a shocker. For a vehicle that cost more than mine new, he gets less for market related than what I would get for trade. So, he kept it - pay the higher service cost and pays the hefty price for parts due to reliability issues.

    Back to the baby issue, my daughter is 7 years old this year. Same age as my Jimny. Had her in the baby seat from day 1. Very happy I never sold the Jimny for another vehicle - especially a Dustbin.
    Funny, had a duster for 4 years, never had an issue with it, trade in I got 20K less than what I paid for it 4 years previously, although it was second hand. Would take a duster any day over the jimny.

    I guess Different strokes for different blokes, very happy I didn’t get a jimny and join the hair dressers club

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanked: 1946

    Default Re: Living with a Jimny and a baby

    Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Funny, had a duster for 4 years, never had an issue with it, trade in I got 20K less than what I paid for it 4 years previously, although it was second hand. Would take a duster any day over the jimny.

    I guess Different strokes for different blokes, very happy I didn’t get a jimny and join the hair dressers club
    Sticks and stones don’t break my bones
    Sent from my iPhone


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •