Ford & Mazda T6 double cab Old Man Emu suspension loading

Default T6 double cab Old Man Emu suspension loading

Hi all

I'm curious to know anyone has fitted the OME 600kg+ leaf pack to a T6 and whether the vehicle is tolerable empty.

I currently run the 300kg constant load kit and on our last trip to Namibia I found myself on the bump stops more often than I'd like. I typically take it very easy but the washouts do tend to sneak up on many an occasion and I find myself running out of travel.

I commute with the vehicle empty and it's perfectly comfortable on the 300kg kit although it has a RSI canopy, Front Runner rack and Northern Offroad aux tank so there is more than 100kg on the back. I would also prefer not to go the air-helpers route as far as possible although I haven't ruled it out.

Frankly I'm fairly underwhelmed with OME. I went that route with a ~R8000 premium over brands like EFS to preserve the Ford warranty. It's certainly comfortable on an average gravel surface but any unexpected wash out, whoop, dip, sudden corner it doesn't impress at all. My previous 2014 T6 had a 100kg EFS kit and it was in my opinion better stanced, better behaved when the going got rough and carried a varying load far better.

Under full overlanding load the car isn't sagged substantially. My guess is the OME shock absorbers aren't damped right to match the spring or the strings don't progressively stiffen as well as they should.

At this point the path of least resistance (and pocket drain) would to add another leaf to get a (so-called) 600kg constant load so I'm curious to hear comments on empty vs loaded comfort if anyone can offer them.
    Last edited by ctong; 2020/01/22 at 12:12 AM.

Default Re: T6 double cab Old Man Emu suspension loading

When I got my suspension installed Johan from first Alignment told me that they only fit the"600kg" (sorry I can't remember what Ironmans equivalent is) to cars that are permanently loaded otherwise ride is unpleasant when unloaded.

Maybe you carrying to much? Time for a trailer?
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Hi Walnut

I can appreciate that. 600 kg is a lot of weight to not have on the car when the spring was designed for it. Really what I'm questioning here is specifically OME's calibration of what 300 or 600 kg constant load is for the Ranger. I started with the lowest (0 - 300 kg) kit and I'm convinced it was worse than stock with regard to carrying capacity. It didn't even lift the vehicle over stock at the back while it gave the prescribed 50mm at the front and the car sat nose up, even when empty. I can pretty much tell the same story as the guy in this post: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...emu-suspension (and there are many stories like this out there).

After adding a leaf to the pack to get a 300 kg constant load configuration the car now is better levelled when empty and drives very comfortably when empty (not stiff at all). It holds its stance fairly well when loaded but blows through the travel faster than what I think is correct. Hence the bottoming out issues. As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure the EFS 100 kg kit on my previous T6 loaded better than this so-called 300 kg kit.

So what I'm looking for is some input from someone who has specifically tried the 600 kg kit because I have a strong suspicion that OME are over specifying their load numbers and adding another leaf to make what they call a 600 kg configuration might be adequate for what I am looking for. I can live with a bit of stiffness in the back daily. Keeping the 55L aux tank (above the spare wheel) topped up will also help soften the ride. As long as I don't require a kidney belt to drive the car.
    Last edited by ctong; 2020/01/22 at 09:19 AM.

I don't think your issue are the springs, Rather the shocks. And if you insist that it might be the springs, then I have to recommend airbags... It keeps the comfort when un-laden and helps massively when loaded. I have standard springs with air-helpers and am more than happy. But the standard shocks that I have do not cope with the extra "spring effect" and fade quickly when doing corrugations. Maybe consider getting firmer damping first? and then see if it still bumps through.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/01/22 at 09:40 AM.
    _______________________________________Dum vivimus, vivamus!With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

What shocks are you running? Maybe a foam cell option might assist?

The standard issue OME Nitro Charger rubbish.

I definitely agree that an improvement could be made there. Some thing with compression adjustment would be good. I need to look at some options. BP51's are ridiculously priced, I wonder if the TJM Pace is the same? Otherwise the Profender stuff. I think even a standard EFS Elite would be better than the current.

I take it you are happy with your Iron Man setup?

The Ironman Foam Cells are great so far, but I don't run the same weight as you. Either way though nitro shocks are probably not up to the task.

Maybe call up Johan at 1st Alignment and chat to him about what he suggests. He runs a permanently loaded Cruiser in tough conditions. Maybe he can point you in the right direction.

Name:  images (1).jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  34.4 KB

Johann Viljoen
    cell: +27 (0)82 5558241
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Walnut; 2020/01/22 at 09:47 PM.