A thank you

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A thank you

Default A thank you

At ten minutes past nine on Wednesday morning the 10th of April 2019 our lives changed forever with a phone call.

I had been noticing our youngest daughter (9 years old) becoming paler and paler which, at the time I attributed to us not getting to the beach to swim and fish and tan like we used to and it gradually became more noticeable. It was also during this time we spent an afternoon on the beach where she didn’t feel like swimming which was very strange as she is a “paddavisie” when it comes to water. The Sunday prior I saw that her soles where getting pale and I said to The Blonde ( Hester) it is odd, once again. The Tuesday Karlien was too “tired” to go to school and as it was the first time she couldn’t attend school ever. It upset her tremendously as she was crying uncontrollably. To the house GP they went and blood tests were done, the outcome resulted in us having to drop everything and get to the designated hospital in Durban on that Wednesday, as hastily as we could.

Karlien was diagnosed with leukaemia on the Tuesday ( the doctor could get hold of Hester and ultimately myself only on the Wednesday morning) which was at such an advanced stage that the tiredness was from her little body busy “shutting down” as her blood counts were so low as to be near fatal. The ICU doctors opined that if we were a day late it would have been too late, the emergency blood and platelet transfusions were done just in time.

We were totally overwhelmed with everything, indescribably overwhelmed and I don’t even want to try and describe all the emotions we experienced over the last ten months; the constant travelling, the not being home, the being separated from one’s family for a week or sometimes two at a time. And just the “not knowing what is next” as we didn’t know what next and mostly the constant worry, if she was going to make it.

The first thing I did after hearing the news was to phone Markus and ask if I can bunk with him and Zelda for the night. He just said off course, no questions, just yes. The one night became ten months of in and out and being welcomed into their home as and when needed. Zelda helped with various requirements at the hospital. Like the washing when the week/ two week stays happened, taking other things for Hester and just being there when things got bad. I still have some of Markus’s pants which I had to borrow as I hadn’t packed anything that first night, don’t tell him though.

The news spread quickly and via telephone the first two days I had so many calls; Chris8d wanted to help with fetching my other children from school in Richardsbay, Marais, SAJeep was there as backup and I can’t even remember who else I spoke to over the time. I guess it is because I cried so much, tears tend to make one forget some things.

The ten months is over. Karlien and us, made it as she is now on the maintenance phase of chemotherapy, which will last another year and a half. A sigh of sort of relief we can now breathe, the journey is far from finished though and as everything in life, the future cannot be predicted. But she can again lead an almost normal life and has gone back to school, after an absence most of last year.

Why the long and personal story I hear some ask and it is for one reason, to say thank you to all the forum members who sent words of encouragement, wanting to know what the progress is and so many with “ ons dink aan julle” messages, all which has sustained us over the time, more than anyone can realise or know or think.

The forum, as a community can be a solid place to hang one’s heart. If you should so feel. There are some real and genuine people I have met here and whom I have the privilege to now call friends. Julle is ysters.

Last but never least. Dirk, thank you for this forum. The mere presence of it and being able to be a member and contribute is an enriching experience for me and I suspect most others. Dankie.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Default Re: A thank you

Wow Riaan.

Baie sterkte vir julle hoor!

Dankie dat jy gedeel het. Ons dink aan julle!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Fantastic news! All my best wishes and prayers for a continued recovery.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

The Forum is indeed like a "support group" in a way.

It is so much more than an offroading or 4x4 or Overlanding group.
    It has grown into that thanks to the members and of course Dirk (die Hoof Spietkop).

This forum has also been very special to us and to many others.
    It proves that there are REAL human beings out there in spite of all the dark news that we are pummeled with from day to day.

We are so happy to hear that Karlien is on the mend.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Strongs to you and your family.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

Riaan en Hester,
    Regtig bly dat julle nagmerrie byna oor is Dank aan die Vader!!
    Wonderlike nuus!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    At ten minutes past nine on Wednesday morning the 10th of April 2019 our lives changed forever with a phone call.

I had been noticing our youngest daughter (9 years old) becoming paler and paler which, at the time I attributed to us not getting to the beach to swim and fish and tan like we used to and it gradually became more noticeable. It was also during this time we spent an afternoon on the beach where she didn’t feel like swimming which was very strange as she is a “paddavisie” when it comes to water. The Sunday prior I saw that her soles where getting pale and I said to The Blonde ( Hester) it is odd, once again. The Tuesday Karlien was too “tired” to go to school and as it was the first time she couldn’t attend school ever. It upset her tremendously as she was crying uncontrollably. To the house GP they went and blood tests were done, the outcome resulted in us having to drop everything and get to the designated hospital in Durban on that Wednesday, as hastily as we could.

Karlien was diagnosed with leukaemia on the Tuesday ( the doctor could get hold of Hester and ultimately myself only on the Wednesday morning) which was at such an advanced stage that the tiredness was from her little body busy “shutting down” as her blood counts were so low as to be near fatal. The ICU doctors opined that if we were a day late it would have been too late, the emergency blood and platelet transfusions were done just in time.

We were totally overwhelmed with everything, indescribably overwhelmed and I don’t even want to try and describe all the emotions we experienced over the last ten months; the constant travelling, the not being home, the being separated from one’s family for a week or sometimes two at a time. And just the “not knowing what is next” as we didn’t know what next and mostly the constant worry, if she was going to make it.

The first thing I did after hearing the news was to phone Markus and ask if I can bunk with him and Zelda for the night. He just said off course, no questions, just yes. The one night became ten months of in and out and being welcomed into their home as and when needed. Zelda helped with various requirements at the hospital. Like the washing when the week/ two week stays happened, taking other things for Hester and just being there when things got bad. I still have some of Markus’s pants which I had to borrow as I hadn’t packed anything that first night, don’t tell him though.

The news spread quickly and via telephone the first two days I had so many calls; Chris8d wanted to help with fetching my other children from school in Richardsbay, Marais, SAJeep was there as backup and I can’t even remember who else I spoke to over the time. I guess it is because I cried so much, tears tend to make one forget some things.

The ten months is over. Karlien and us, made it as she is now on the maintenance phase of chemotherapy, which will last another year and a half. A sigh of sort of relief we can now breathe, the journey is far from finished though and as everything in life, the future cannot be predicted. But she can again lead an almost normal life and has gone back to school, after an absence most of last year.

Why the long and personal story I hear some ask and it is for one reason, to say thank you to all the forum members who sent words of encouragement, wanting to know what the progress is and so many with “ ons dink aan julle” messages, all which has sustained us over the time, more than anyone can realise or know or think.

The forum, as a community can be a solid place to hang one’s heart. If you should so feel. There are some real and genuine people I have met here and whom I have the privilege to now call friends. Julle is ysters.

Last but never least. Dirk, thank you for this forum. The mere presence of it and being able to be a member and contribute is an enriching experience for me and I suspect most others. Dankie.
    WOW! I for one didnt know you were going through this roller coaster ride, yet every comment over the last 10 months has shown no inkling of the emotional ride you as a parent have been going through.

I wish your daughter well on her path to full recovery. You all must just BELIEVE! I wish for you and your wife some peace and solitude in the knowledge that I will be praying for you all, as a whole load of us here on the forum will be doing.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Baie baie sterkte vir julle Riaan!

Goodness gracious, what a story! All the best for the future and may your little girl grow up and one day be a little old lady a century from now! You've stayed strong and as you've said, proper support makes us so much stronger.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Thanks for sharing the great new. It was great to have been able to sit around the fire with you on our trip last year.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

I have no words other than strongs for the last leg, if there is anything you need please feel free to say the word.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Riaan, There is no doubt that we will all be rejoicing with you and your family at the news that Karlien has now gone into a maintenance period. You are all very dear to our hearts.

You are one of the outstanding personalities of this forum - a great contributor on a number of threads, and always so positive towards the rest of us.

The van Wyk family will remain in my thoughts and prayers - may your travails in 2019 become a distant memory, not to be repeated.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Sjoe Riaan
    I never knew it was so serious. Well done to you guys for sticking together and pulling through.
    We know that Karlien will make a full recovery and that things will return to normal again.
    To anyone who assissted you guys flippen well done. Julle is mense mense.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Wow. I wish your family the best of outcomes and your daughter the best of health for the rest of her life.

Great Riaan thank you for sharing and happy that things are getting better and better.
    We have learnt from the IT ARE TIME thread of that special oven.

May she grow very old making and baking in her oven
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Sue and I are truly glad that things are going better. At times we wonder why we get dealt certain blows in life but it all has a reason. Maybe at this point we don't see or know the meaning but time will reveal all. God Bless you and your family, stay strong.

PS: I will still get her the goodies promised, you just need to let me know when she will be allowed it. Maybe, just maybe, we can make a trip then and make it even more special
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Awesome news Riaan. (Remember, it's not me, but rather people like you who makes this all work!)

Really glad to hear the news!

Wow. I am sitting in the office with tears

Thanks for sharing. I knew there was something wrong (from reading the It Are Time thread and some of the pictures you posted), but didn't want to prod. Glad it is looking up.

All the best for your family. May God shine his grace on you.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Sterkte aan julle almal!

Best wishes for the future
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast