Bat deterrent devices

Default Bat deterrent devices

Hi All

We have a family house in the bushveld and have some bats roosting under the roof eaves and are making the house smell from the bat guano and urine. At the moment they are just roosting under the roof and have not started making nests etc in the thatch.

Does anyone have an effective way of deterring them from roosting, ie ultrasonic, repellants

The ultrasonic seems the best as we only visit the house every two to three months and you can just plug it in and leave it.

Also a question about the ultrasonic - how will it effect any of the other animals, as we do have a lot of buck, owls, bushbabies, likawans etc around the house. Will it also drive them away.

Default Re: Bat deterrent devices

I'm in the exact same situation, let me know if you find a product that works please.

Only thing that works is to put a permanently on light where they roost

Quote Originally Posted by desdrake View Post
    Only thing that works is to put a permanently on light where they roost
    Exactly, my Uncle in the UK had bats in his roof. Problem was that they where a protected pest there and I believe harming them in anyway was a prison sentence (this was 30 years ago though, so the punishment might have changed)

His answer was two high powered lights on timer pointed at their entry/exit.Took a whilst to get them out, but with the lights on, once they were gone, they were gone. But I do believe that once gone, you still need to keep the lights on forever. One night of load shedding could mean them coming back.

Good luck!!

Bats do not make nests and will not damage the thatch. Hang a 20liter bucket with 100mm of water in it 300mm under their roost. When bats take off to fly, they have to drop first. That is when they fall into the bucket and drown. Only do this when you are at home and empty the bucket every day.
    Fortunately bats are very environmental friendly, and catch hundreds of mosquito's and other insects per night. Only a pity about the mess they make.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Do not kill bats. They eat moths and mosquitos by the thousands. Get some kakibos and hang it were they rest and they will leave. If you hang nest for them in the trees away from the house they will go and rest there. Google bat roosting. Not sure what kakibos is in english. Someone help on this one please

I have no intention of killing them. Part of the plan is to build bat boxes for them to move to, I just want them out of my bedroom.

We have bats, great creatures to have!

As far as I know their droppings doesn't smell, if there is a smell it means that the roof is getting wet where their droppings are and causing the smell.
    Either you have a leaking roof, leaking water pipe or leaking air con pipe.

So I am told by the bat scientists who visited us when we were setting up bat boxes to attract bats.

Maybe phone one and find out? If you need contact details I can help.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Or maybe put up a bat box for them?

Like I said, they are awesome creatures and you actually do want them around!

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D