charging or operating a laptop with a modified sine wave inverter?

Default charging or operating a laptop with a modified sine wave inverter?

Is it safer for the laptop to only charge it , without switching it on, than operating it with a modified sine wave inverter?
    Or is there no difference in whether your laptop is operational (HDD spinning, screen on etc) or switched off when you connect it to a modified sine wave inverter.

Something tells me the clipped waves of a modified sine wave inverter shouldn't influence/blow a power adapter of a laptop, while operating it while connected to a M-S inverter might affect the charger, processor, HDD, screen etc. I've heard rumours that it might eventually cause the laptop to fail.

Pure-sine wave inverters is just out of my price range
    Custom-built expedition platform: Land Rover Series III 109 Pop-up roof Camper, 110 2.5l petrol engine with extensive self-recovery gear and extra fuel and water tanks awnings all round, solar setup etc

Default Re: charging or operating a laptop with a modified sine wave inverter?

The laptop work of DC volts from a battery, so no need for a pure sine inverter, as it only powers the charger.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/01/20 at 05:43 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Never had issues with my modified sine 350 and 500w. I have 2 batteries that I use for camping and load shedding.
    Load shedding I watch TV, run the router, charge Laptop and run Apple TV.
    Camping I use them to charge camera batteries, laptop and run one 240V 10W LED.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The laptop work of DC volts from a battery, so no need for a pure sine inverter, as it only powers the charger.
    I think (might be wrong) a laptop can work without a battery Johan - plugged into 220V (inverter or mains) through the charger. Which means that the clipped wave of a M-S inverter gets sent to the motherboard, HDD, screen etc. That's why pure sine wave inverters are on the market - to provide a curved wave.

People have experienced rainbow effects on their screens and their laptops have died because they used modified sine wave inverters. Hence my question if it would be better to ONLY use the M-S inverter for charging till battery full. Then to unplug the laptop and use it till battery flat. And then charge again with the M-S inverter.

Good to hear that Anton. Hope that can be applied to all laptops.
    Last edited by corlius; 2020/01/20 at 06:38 PM.
    Custom-built expedition platform: Land Rover Series III 109 Pop-up roof Camper, 110 2.5l petrol engine with extensive self-recovery gear and extra fuel and water tanks awnings all round, solar setup etc

Typical modern small electronics are find with MSW. The switched mode power supply (laptop charger) will not be influenced and will provide the appropriate DC current.

Quote Originally Posted by corlius View Post
    I think (might be wrong) a laptop can work without a battery Johan - plugged into 220V (inverter or mains) through the charger. Which means that the clipped wave of a M-S inverter gets sent to the motherboard, HDD, screen etc. That's why pure sine wave inverters are on the market - to provide a curved wave.

People have experienced rainbow effects on their screens and their laptops have died because they used modified sine wave inverters. Hence my question if it would be better to ONLY use the M-S inverter for charging till battery full. Then to unplug the laptop and use it till battery flat. And then charge again with the M-S inverter.

Good to hear that Anton. Hope that can be applied to all laptops.
    Some laptops can run without their batteries, but the power supply (charger) does not provide an AC current to the laptop, but a DC current. There is no sine wave or modified sine wave past the power supply.

A Laptop is usually 19V DC. (I had a 12V DC once).

You get 12V to 19V power supplies / chargers.

Much better than going from 12V DC to 220V AC (via inverter) and then back to 19V DC.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/01/20 at 06:56 PM.
    Kobus

I agree with Kobus.

Do a search on
    laptop car charger
    on the internet - there should be multiple products. Confirm that it can handle your laptop's required wattage.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Yes, I know that is the best way to buy a 12V charger. They are about R750 for a generic one for my new used) Lenovo - a quote from about two months ago..
    But it would be nice to not have to spend more money.

I once travelled for 6 months in a van through the USA. I only used my old Lenovo laptop on a M-S inverter. It survived.
    But then my very expensive Dell laptop already had its motherboard and power supply replaced (under warranty). And I didn't use it with an inverter.

Would be nice to hear a very technical explanation to why pure-sine wave inverters are recommended and why M-S are bad.
    Last edited by corlius; 2020/01/20 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corlius View Post
    Would be nice to hear a very technical explanation to why pure-sine wave inverters are recommended and why M-S are bad.
    For this application, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Never had issues with my modified sine 350 and 500w. I have 2 batteries that I use for camping and load shedding.
    Load shedding I watch TV, run the router, charge Laptop and run Apple TV.
    Camping I use them to charge camera batteries, laptop and run one 240V 10W LED.
    Yes I use a modified sine inverter for my laptop, wives hairdryer, microwave oven, charging camera batteries, power drill, solder iron, and the TV with power outages to watch rugby

On the farm we used to have a 5kw MS inverter. It powered a submersible pump, TV, fridge and all the other appliances in the house.

Apparently there are some equipment that will not work with a MS inverter, but so far I did not had issues.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/01/20 at 08:07 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Is "Pure" Sine Wave inverter not just a super modified wave?

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/01/21 at 07:02 AM.
    Kobus

LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Is "Pure" Sine Wave not just a super modified wave?
    Yes its still DC current modified to AC , but generates a smooth curve not angular as for a MS.
    Johan Kriel

the ac source should not affect the dc output to the laptop.I ran both a pc and a laptop from a very square sine wave for years without issue

It's good to hear that a few people's appliances survived a modified sine inverter.

JLK, I once lend my studio photographic lights to a friend who used them with a generator. It blew the circuitry so badly it couldn't be repaired. I guess that's from a very uneven current generated . So it's reassuring to hear yours ( I assume you used a generator as well?) survive.