Bradt guides

Thread: Bradt guides

Default Bradt guides

Does anyone know of a good bookstore that will stock the Bradt guides? Exclusive Books certainly doesn't seem to. Preferably in the Gauteng area.

If not, I guess buying online is the only other option?

P.s. I'm looking for Zambia specifically.

P.p.s. Takealot only has the eBook one, I'm specifically looking for the book.
    Last edited by JohanRoux; 2020/01/20 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Bradt guides

Johan, it appears that you share my view that Bradt all-round are the best guides for most East and Southern African countries. They strangely enough do not have a comprehensive guide for Kenya.

Because of my travels I have collected most of their African country guides. Initially I bought a whole lot of them when visiting London, buying the rest online over the years. You are correct, I have not found any of our local bookstores, around the country, that stock more than sporadic editions. You might try the Exclusive Book online facility, they might be willing to order in editions for you, as well as using the more mainstream online retailers.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I have got the Zambia one that was bought for a trip that we had to pull out of. It is as new, never used. Let me discuss with the missus perhaps we could offer it for sale
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

@Alan, thanks but I eventually found one on Loot.co.za - but it is still an item that they first order from overseas so takes a bit longer to get here. Thanks for the offer though, if the package doesn't arrive I may still take you up on the offer.

@Stan, they are a fantastic resource so it's really strange that they're not more readily available here in SA? There's just so much more info in them, than what you get with a map alone..

Most of the other African country guidebooks such as Rough Guides and Lonely Planet are far more suitable for back packers than self-drive overlanders.

Bradt also provides fantastic cultural, historical and environmental backgrounds to each country it covers. Be sure to get the latest editions as even these will be about 3 years minimum out of date. For the most up to date info one has to resort to the internet.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Strange, the Exclusives main outlets in Cape Town all stock Bradt guides - the branches elsewhere should be able to get stock from them, just ask.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Strange, the Exclusives main outlets in Cape Town all stock Bradt guides - the branches elsewhere should be able to get stock from them, just ask.
    Yes Tony, but only a very limited selection of random countries. Ordering in any other editions was not easily arranged at all. I had tried on a few occasions over the years.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Yes Tony, but only a very limited selection of random countries. Ordering in any other editions was not easily arranged at all. I had tried on a few occasions over the years.
    Exclusives Cavendish and Constantia both had the Zambia guide in stock when I was last in them a week or two ago.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Apologies Tony, looking back at the original post, I now see that Zambia was added as a PS.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Johan, it appears that you share my view that Bradt all-round are the best guides for most East and Southern African countries. They strangely enough do not have a comprehensive guide for Kenya.
    Chris McIntyre’s Zambian Bradt guide is one of the best ever guidebooks for African countries (on a par with Philip Briggs’ Ethiopian Bradt guidebook). It is obvious that he has actually been to the places he mentions. That is not the case with some other guidebooks (or they are seriously out of date). Bradt guides also do an online update between editions.

The reason that Bradt guides have not updated their Kenyan guidebook is that they are in copyright dispute with a friend of mine who wrote the original Bradt guide to Kenya.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/01/20 at 10:57 PM.

Johan, having a proper book always makes a difference (at least is the way I prefer). Nevertheless for those on digital there is always the opportunity to download it from Badt's website and have the ebook on their pad/smartphone. It is also slightly cheaper ( https://www.bradtguides.com/shop/afr...ia-3149.html);

Sorry Johan, i did not realize you added an second p.s. regarding the e-version.

Happy planning and wise decisions!

Ap
    Last edited by apfac; 2020/01/21 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks everyone.

@Tony, it seems the book stores in the Cape are just that much better than here in Gauteng.

Also, I will probably take an e-book copy along, I already have all my bird, tree and other reference books on an iPad. I just really prefer having a real book, especially for the planning phase. Once en route, the e-book should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    @Tony, it seems the book stores in the Cape are just that much better than here in Gauteng.
    I think it's probably because many foreign tourists start their journeys here....
    Tony Weaver