What solar MPPT to charge a Li-ion battery?

Default What solar MPPT to charge a Li-ion battery?

Most solar inverters with MPPT's seem designed to charge lead acid/gel type batteries, what MPPT has charge profiles for a Li-ion battery?

I'm looking for a solar inverter with MPPT that can do Li-ion batteries on 24v and one for 48v.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/01/19 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: What solar MPPT to charge a Li-ion battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Most solar inverters with MPPT's seem designed to charge lead acid/gel type batteries, what MPPT has charge profiles for a Li-ion battery?

I'm looking for a solar inverter with MPPT that can do Li-ion batteries on 24v and one for 48v.
    Victron Energy tick all those boxes

The Victron 100/20-48 does only 48V. From the 150/35 and up can do 12/24/36 and 48V

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    The Victron 100/20-48 does only 48V. From the 150/35 and up can do 12/24/36 and 48V
    And those different voltage charge option's all have options for Li-ion charge curves?

And those different voltage charge option's all have options for Li-ion charge curves?
    Iíve not seen a Victron charger that doesnít have a Li-ion curve, Iím 99.9% sure they all have

I see you are from George? Give Thys Fourie a call (0827727857 or 0731214466) heís the owner of Omnisolar in George. They have a huge stock range and really good prices.

What are you using these batteries for?
    What are they connected to - solar for the house?
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2020/01/20 at 06:33 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Iíve not seen a Victron charger that doesnít have a Li-ion curve, Iím 99.9% sure they all have

I see you are from George? Give Thys Fourie a call (0827727857 or 0731214466) heís the owner of Omnisolar in George. They have a huge stock range and really good prices.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    What are you using these batteries for?
    What are they connected to - solar for the house?
    Connected to solar to use as a small off grid battery pack, a bit like a DIY Flexopower Lithium444 power pack.

Reading up on the Victron website they seem to only support recognised Li-ion battery packs, I'll be making a custom pack out of 18650 cells and would like a mppt where I can customise the charge cutoff etc.

Reading up on the Victron website they seem to only support recognised Li-ion battery packs, I'll be making a custom pack out of 18650 cells and would like a mppt where I can customise the charge cutoff etc.
    You will then find those custom settings as part of the Victron MPPT controllers.
    Feel free to ask any questions on the Victron forum. They do offer great support in a short turn around time.

You can set User defined Battery Settings on the Victron Smart Controllers
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

You can change those setpoints/profiles to exactly what you want via the victron app on your smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    You can change those setpoints/profiles to exactly what you want via the victron app on your smartphone
    You can buy a cheap BMS on Amazon to take care of charging , discharging and balancing of your LiFePO4 battery packs. Should then work with most standard battery chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by BL699 View Post
    You can buy a cheap BMS on Amazon to take care of charging , discharging and balancing of your LiFePO4 battery packs. Should then work with most standard battery chargers.
    That sounds interesting, it would probably have some built-in loss though so being able to natively charge the pack via the mppt would be the optimal method.

Do you perhaps have a link to one of these BMS on Amazon?

It's a bit of a nightmare sifting through the endless options they sell.

Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie100 View Post
    Not really a fan of that guys installation
    The wood fittings he uses really puts me off his work wood is not generally good idea when working with electrical items
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2020/01/21 at 12:30 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Yes, if you are using a VenusGX/CCGX and you want the Li-ion battery BMS to integrate with a VenusGX/CCGX, then you must use one on the list.
    Promising times ahead as more BMS'es will be listed in the future on that list.

As some has already said, all Victron inverters and MPPT's are 100% programmable to charge any type of battery technology out there today.

I'm looking at a 2nd Life battery bank that is not on the Victron list. All I need to ensure is:
    1) I have a SOC that the VenusGX can use.
    2) The bank is big enough that the BMS will not switch off prematurely if the inverter is powering the load during a Eskom failure ito the peak amps drawn.
    Meeting the above two points, one can add any bank to a Victron kit.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

My Victron SmartSolar 75/15 worked fine when tested on lithium, also have a Benton BX-1M for charging both lithium and normal battery.

How do you plan on balancing the cells if you are not running a BMS? Most BMS units draw extremely low currents

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    How do you plan on balancing the cells if you are not running a BMS? Most BMS units draw extremely low currents
    Manual balancing every few weeks and not allowing a deep DOD which is when issues with unbalanced cells start rearing their heads.

That's the theory but from what I have read it works pretty well, though not a set and forget type setup.

If you looking for a BMS, you can check here. https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/bms

I just finish building my 16s 120amp setup with Ant Smart BMS that I imported fro my setup. It came with a screen and can connect to my phone. I'm running a Microcare LCD MPPT's on my setup. The Microcare Units is 12v/24v/36/48v units and you can order them from Microcare now with the new Li-ion settings on them. I still need to send my one MPPT unit to them for this new software and then my other unit after that.

A did a bit of fine tuning on the MPPT to check to find the rite settings and so far things looks good.