Who needs custom fabrications? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Who needs custom fabrications?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    From a legal perspective you would have to have this designed by an engineer, approved by an Authorized inspection authority (AIA), Certificate of manufacture, and it would be subject to annual inspections, pressure tested, nameplates and I am sure there are other requirements to go with it.

Considering this, I doubt it would be viable.

That is if you would like to do it properly and legally...
    Not worth the hassle. I already got such a suspect vehicle at the moment. Please post some info on these testing "authorities". When I tried to find someone to certify my plans and fabrication on my vehicle, I hit one brick wall after another. So I have just carried on regardless. Overkill is my middle name, so everything has been done with steel between 5mm and 10mm. Recovery points are 16mm.

Just started today with new radias arms made from 60mmx4mm tube. All bolts are M20 on the suspension, including shocks.

But I doubt it will pass engineering inspection, or come close to getting a certificate. It has been stopped and inspected a few times in roadblocks, and have not had any problems. At least we don't have rules like Auss where we are limited to wheel size or how far the wheels can protrude past the fenders, or how high the vehicle may be. Only rule I have been questioned about, is the height of the head lights.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Groot probleem kom in as jy iemand laat betaal. Dan, sou iets vaal, is jy in diep gemors.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Not worth the hassle. I already got such a suspect vehicle at the moment. Please post some info on these testing "authorities". When I tried to find someone to certify my plans and fabrication on my vehicle, I hit one brick wall after another. So I have just carried on regardless. Overkill is my middle name, so everything has been done with steel between 5mm and 10mm. Recovery points are 16mm.

Just started today with new radias arms made from 60mmx4mm tube. All bolts are M20 on the suspension, including shocks.

But I doubt it will pass engineering inspection, or come close to getting a certificate. It has been stopped and inspected a few times in roadblocks, and have not had any problems. At least we don't have rules like Auss where we are limited to wheel size or how far the wheels can protrude past the fenders, or how high the vehicle may be. Only rule I have been questioned about, is the height of the head lights.
    The standards are quite diverse. For your pressure vessels you will need to comply with SANS 347:2012 and SANS 10019:2011 (This would make you legal in South Africa only)
    The design would need to be signed off by a PrEng (professionally registered engineer) who will then assume full responsibility for design failures barring negligence.

I'm unfortunately not a PrEng, just an MEng

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'd just like to clarify:
    When you directly message me with a request I will first spend time to discuss exactly what you want, and take measurements of your vehicle.
    From there I will perform the necessary design work and contact you again once this is complete to apply final changes.
    This entire process is obligation free for you, and is an excellent opportunity for me to practice design work and become more involved with the community.

Only once the design work is completed will we deal with a quote and then fabrication. I'm not an engineering firm or an established company, so the design work is a pleasure for me to do and as mentioned earlier will be a hobby until this grows to the point where I might consider doing this full time.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Please post some info on these testing "authorities".
    https://inspectionauthority.co.za/about-us/

Most of the work we do in the petrochemical industry involves accredited (SANAS) AIA's approvals. See the link to the AIA web page.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by WillMartin View Post
    I've always felt that there is quite a lot in the "aftermarket" that can do with better design and, perhaps, complete re-thinking. Light-weight, compact and robust are areas to concentrate on.
    CHEAP

STRONG

LIGHT

Pick any two.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    CHEAP

STRONG

LIGHT

Pick any two.
    This is true

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    CHEAP

STRONG

LIGHT

Pick any two.
    Where's that "Thanks" button?....
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I have just completed a Sprinter van conversion from a 23 seater bus to a campervan. Apart from watching many YouTube videos of overseas conversion I found resources in South Africa for such a conversion to be extremely limited. There are off the shelf conversion kits available for beds, kitchens and showers etc but they are prohibitively expensive as they are priced for the Californian market in the USA. Designing modular kits that the average DIY person can install and working together with a SABS approved builder to sign off on modifications, there could be a thriving business in this. If you would like to have a look at the van and discuss this concept please give me a shout. I live in Johannesburg. 079 498 8693 [email protected]
    Last edited by Doggone; 2020/02/18 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSJooste View Post
    Thank you all for the excellent opportunities you've presented me with.
    I'm hopeful that this grows enough for me to begin supplying the community with the parts they've wanted but couldn't find.

The air in Rocksliders idea is interesting, but it would turn them into a pressure vessel. From an engineering perspective you don't want to be exposing those to impacts.
    Perhaps that would be better suited built into a canopy?

As a small update, if anyone has a 2018 single cab Hilux around PTA/Jhb I could take a look at for measurements I'd really appreciate it.
    I'm also having trouble with plastic molding at a reasonable price. The issue lies in tooling needed for a once off job. For now this unfortunately makes plastic fabrications unpractical, but doesn't mean it will never be a possibility for me.
    I can help you with plastic roto-moulding.

Quote Originally Posted by JSJooste View Post
    Thank you all for the excellent opportunities you've presented me with.
    I'm hopeful that this grows enough for me to begin supplying the community with the parts they've wanted but couldn't find.

The air in Rocksliders idea is interesting, but it would turn them into a pressure vessel. From an engineering perspective you don't want to be exposing those to impacts.
    Perhaps that would be better suited built into a canopy?

As a small update, if anyone has a 2018 single cab Hilux around PTA/Jhb I could take a look at for measurements I'd really appreciate it.
    I'm also having trouble with plastic molding at a reasonable price. The issue lies in tooling needed for a once off job. For now this unfortunately makes plastic fabrications unpractical, but doesn't mean it will never be a possibility for me.
    What about 3d printing for small once off jobs?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

You know what every camper / offroader / overlander needs? A small and effective water heater with 12v pump. Gas powered. But must not cost upwards of R4k and not be the size of a cooler box.
    To be used as a shower or for washing dishes.

I have a cadac water heater in my trailer and the thing is a PITA!

maybe instead of the normal flow activated ignition, use a dead mans switch to cut gas and ignition. If its cheaper and more reliable.
    Last edited by LandyLove; 2020/02/18 at 07:04 AM.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2