Disco 3 - unbraked towing capacity - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Disco 3 - unbraked towing capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    10% of towed vechile weight on towball, or you wont go over 110km/h without swaying.

Ratchet strap over every wheel of towed vehicle straight down to trailer

If towed car is running, just drive it onto trailer with ramps. Same for unloading.

Make sure you have correct driving license for towing trailer heavier than 750kg
    Towballs have a legal weight limit (something like 100kg), you cant tow a 5000kg trailer with 500kg on the towball.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Towballs have a legal weight limit (something like 100kg), you cant tow a 5000kg trailer with 500kg on the towball.
    this is getting very theoretical now...... but you canít exactly tow a 5000kg trailer with any standard road going car with standard towing equipment.

too little weight on the tow ball is going to Lead to issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    this is getting very theoretical now...... but you canít exactly tow a 5000kg trailer with any standard road going car with standard towing equipment.

too little weight on the tow ball is going to Lead to issues though.
    Weight given was just giving an example. Seems there is law around it:

Noseweight: The mass of a caravan or trailer measured at the tow hitch. By law in South Africa it has to be between 25 kg and 100 kg.
    https://www.caravansa.co.za/weights-...ination-legal/

Noseweight: The mass of a caravan or trailer measured at the tow hitch. By law in South Africa it has to be between 25 kg and 100 kg.

I would not be interested to haul that load. That thing will bounce up and down on the towball all the time. Especially with 2 axles.

Bouncing up and down will also make it directionally unstable.

Sorry, but I prefer more weight on the towball.
    Last edited by Henris; 2020/01/19 at 05:47 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I would not be interested to haul that load. That thing will bounce up and down on the towball all the time. Especially with 2 axles.

Sorry, but I prefer more weight on the towball.[/I][/COLOR]
    Henri, hier begin dit gou wys wie sleep gereeld, en wie praat via google. Jammer, maar ek sleep nie n 2 ton voertuig met 50 kg op bal nie.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

That bounce causes vibration that causes this....(learnt my lesson)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Henri, hier begin dit gou wys wie sleep gereeld, en wie praat via google. Jammer, maar ek sleep nie n 2 ton voertuig met 50 kg op bal nie.
    In my inexperienced opinion the towball must still at least be rated to handle what you want it to handle, if it breaks off due to loads weight and there is an accident of some kind, insurance provider might look at these things. Just saying.
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2020/01/19 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    In my inexperienced opinion the towball must still at least be rated to handle what you want it to handle, if it breaks off due to loads weight and there is an accident of some kind, insurance provider might look at these things. Just saying.
    Nie een van my sleep voertuie se rating is gelimit op 100 kg nie. Heelwat hoer.

Maar, dan is daar n rede hoekom ek teenskop as mense my probeer om n topverkoper dc SA bakkie aan my afsmeer as beste voertuig ooit. Ek sleep net te veel swaar vragte.

Quote Originally Posted by sclater View Post
    Get a temp license from the traffic department and drive it there

https://www.gov.za/services/roadwort...vehicle-permit

3 day special permit
    Now THAT's a good idea! I didn't know this was an option... but the requirement is that the vehicle is roadworthy, and licenced.

The vehicle does run, but the licence expired some 3-4 years ago. Also the reason it needs to go to town is that the speedo and odometer have stopped working. As a result, we need to get the thing roadworthied, and update the licence! I guess that tempting fate by trying to drive the vehicle without the licence/ roadworthy along the N1 from Bela Bela to Pretoria would be rather risky, considering the SAPS presence along the way. I'd rather not get locked up!

I am now getting the idea that getting someone to tow the vehicle from Mabula Game Reserve to somewhere in Pretoria, for example, would be the best. We can then get the repairs done that are needed, and get it licenced and roadworthied at the same time.

Alternatively, I should go onto the Landcruiser forum, and see if someone is prepared to come out and fix it in place.... Hmmmmmm.............

My primere sleepvoertuig het n 250kg tow ball rating

Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    Now THAT's a good idea! I didn't know this was an option... but the requirement is that the vehicle is roadworthy, and licenced.

The vehicle does run, but the licence expired some 3-4 years ago. Also the reason it needs to go to town is that the speedo and odometer have stopped working. As a result, we need to get the thing roadworthied, and update the licence! I guess that tempting fate by trying to drive the vehicle without the licence/ roadworthy along the N1 from Bela Bela to Pretoria would be rather risky, considering the SAPS presence along the way. I'd rather not get locked up!

I am now getting the idea that getting someone to tow the vehicle from Mabula Game Reserve to somewhere in Pretoria, for example, would be the best. We can then get the repairs done that are needed, and get it licenced and roadworthied at the same time.

Alternatively, I should go onto the Landcruiser forum, and see if someone is prepared to come out and fix it in place.... Hmmmmmm.............
    That's for the 21day license, the 3 day one it doesn't need to be roadworthy or licensed - the idea being that you are taking the vehicle to get repairs so you can eventually license it.
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

Quote Originally Posted by sclater View Post
    That's for the 21day license, the 3 day one it doesn't need to be roadworthy or licensed - the idea being that you are taking the vehicle to get repairs so you can eventually license it.
    Thanks - I was re-reading the page, and gathered that the 21 day licence would not apply. The 3 day version would apply, though (special permit).

I will see how I can arrange this - it seems the best bet! Any ideas of the costs?

Thanks - I was re-reading the page, and gathered that the 21 day licence would not apply. The 3 day version would apply, though (special permit).

I will see how I can arrange this - it seems the best bet! Any ideas of the costs?
    R48 here...plus the schlep to get it
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

This is what I do. SADC Assist

LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Best bet would be get it to Pretoria on a trialer, will be a lot easier to get all the needed repairs etc done there than in Bela Bela.

if the license is expired by 4 years, you wonít get the temp permit. 3 day temp permit is for rebuilds and built up cars, that have been scrapped on the natis system. You will need to pay the full arrears fees, and still get it roadworthier before you will be issued a new disc.

in the case of this specific car, if you donít intend using it on the road anymore, it may be better for you to scrap it. That being said, if itís based at a commercial lodge, that wonít work. Any game viewer used to transport paying guests needs to be licensed and roadworthy at all times by law, even if it is never used on a public road. Iím not sure what you use the car for, but just keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    That being said, if itís based at a commercial lodge, that wonít work. Any game viewer used to transport paying guests needs to be licensed and roadworthy at all times by law, even if it is never used on a public road. Iím not sure what you use the car for, but just keep this in mind.
    Very interesting

Very few of the game viewing type of cars that Iíve been on, was on the road....

Lots of places ignoring the law

Very interesting

Very few of the game viewing type of cars that Iíve been on, was on the road....

Lots of places ignoring the law
    yes. There are. Itís not a particularly well enforced law. But again itís one of those issues that if there is an accident, your going to be in trouble with the insurance if you donít comply.

there are a few other requirements from the department of tourism as well, but essentially:

1. car needs to be roadworthy and license up to date

2. number of seats must not exceed the maximum seating capacity displayed on the disc (essentially, a proper game viewer conversion should be retested, and licensed to carry 9 passengers or whatever it may be)

3. no seat may protrude beyond the rear of the load bin area (virtually no game viewers comply here)

4. If the car does transport people on a public road at any time (including servitudes etc), then each seat needs to be equipped with lap belts. (This I think is ridiculous, I have been on a game viewer that rolled trying to drive up a river bank, and I was very glad I could jump to safety)

You will notice if you pay close attention that most of the game viewers used at the National and provincial parks, and even a lot of private reserves do all comply with all this, and have homulugation certificates etc as game viewers. They will have the safety equipment clearly maked, and will have a sticker somewhere like you get on busses etc with the maximum seating etc clearly displayed. These places get checked regularly for complaince.

smaller private reserves and game farms etc are obviously not really policed, and the compliance drops off.

I donít think itís necessarily a well thought out set of rules, or that I agree with them, but it is what it is.

we are going off topic now though

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    That bounce causes vibration that causes this....(learnt my lesson)
    This is a classic example of incorrect bolting design, and the use of incorrect bolts. Those tow hooks does not do that, whatever the vibration, if the correct bolts are used, tightened to the correct torque, using the correct grade full depth nuts and washers (NO PARTIAL HEIGHT NYLOK NUTS OR SPRING WASHERS), and with a decent stiffness draw bar nose where it bolts to (do not bolt through hollow sections).
    '89 LR 110 V8

Ek wil die naweek 2 karre gaan optel.
    Mag ek die een a-frame agter my sleepwa, met 2de voertuig op sleepwa?

Ek wil die naweek 2 karre gaan optel.
    Mag ek die een a-frame agter my sleepwa, met 2de voertuig op sleepwa?
    Ek het al soortgelyk gewig as Ďn trien agter n cruiser gesleep, en toe dit begin swaai was dit sports. Die eerste trailer het run in brieke gehad, die tweede een nie. Ek sou dit nie weer doen nie. Jy gaan anyway vrek stadig moet ry heelpad, en jy gaan nie juis brandstof spaar nie.

het jy nie Ďn flatbed lorrie wat jy een op kan laai nie, en Dan sleep jy kar trailer agter die lorrie?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast