Suspension Toyota D4D Hilux 2013 Suspension upgrade

Default Toyota D4D Hilux 2013 Suspension upgrade

Morning It's time to upgrade my Hilux D4D 2013 suspension , just because. Help to where to start ?I would like a bit softer ride and also a lift.Where do I start ? Shocks , spacers , tyres ?Who can you refer that could give honest opinion and price to do these upgrades.I'm in Cape Town area .

Default Re: Toyota D4D Hilux 2013 Suspension upgrade

Hi - do you ever carry heavy loads or have aftermarker bumbers, canopy, slides etc installed?

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

I still owns a 2012, 2.5 D4-D SRX D/C 4x4 stock standard only with 245/70 R16 tyres and under body protection.

I do not have heavy aftermarket bumpers installed in order to keep the vehicles weight down.

So I only went for the leveling spacers in front. 25 mm Spacers in front, lifting it about 48 mm. Then the back looked a little droopy when fully loaded for camping, so I installed longer spring shackles at the back, also lifting the body about 50 mm.

The ride is a tad softer on the standard suspension and the old 2.5 SRX stands quite nice and high with the spacers. And it dont look sagging at the back when loaded any more. I am very happy with the spacers and shackles and with 193 000 km's on the clock it still runs like a Swiss watch. No issues from installing the spacers and shackles.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2020/01/19 at 12:46 PM.

No I don't load heavy stuff. I do have a slider and a rooftop which we use when we go camping. Bakkie is very standard . Would like to have a nice look and softer ride.

Best would be to look at an aftermarket suspension, springs & shocks. Old Man Emu and the likes come to mind.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I have a 2013 2,5 D4D and I install a 30mm front strut spacers in frond and reset the rear spring set and fit an extra blade .
    It lift my bakkie 50mm back and front and it cost me R2200,oo in total.
    I tow a Conqueror Conquest and load all my camping gear at the back with an 100L diesel tank and a 120 L water tank at the back without any problems
    Solo It have a sotf ride and looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Best would be to look at an aftermarket suspension, springs & shocks. Old Man Emu and the likes come to mind.
    This is what you need to do, listen to the good advice, been there done that.
    You won't believe the difference it makes to the ride.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I have also gone through makeshift suspension mods but have every time ended up with full conversions...

OME is in my opinion overpriced in comparison with alternatives.
    EFS, Tough dog, Iron Man, Amada Extreme are all very good and should give you good results and there are specials doing the rounds.
    I am probably missing a brand or two...
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

My experience: Had a Legend 40 double cab 4x4 manual. Also had complaints from the wife saying the bakkie is too hard and poor kids at the back seat bouncing up and down.

After some discussions with Rudi at 4x4 Mega World (Brilliant Service) in Centurion took the plunge and went with Old Man Emu medium setup. I never knew that a suspension made such a difference and everyone enjoyed the bakkie again. Bought a 2016 Fortuner and still can not compare with the ride of the bakkie with Old Man Emu. Wish I could change the suspension of the Fortuner to Old Man Emu today.

We running a couple of specials on the AmadaXtreme Suspensions, please feel free to contact me

WWW.AMADAXTREME.CO.ZA
    203 Edison Crescent, Weca 4x4, Hennopspark, Centurion, GPS: 25°52’19.0”S 28°09’59.3”
    Cobus Böhmer CEL: 071 641 7947 Email: cobus@amadaxtreme.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    We running a couple of specials on the AmadaXtreme Suspensions, please feel free to contact me
    Hi Cobus, I sent you an email last week.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Thanks for all advice. Have listened, full upgrade, so now I got to decide which upgrade. I really do not have any experience with any of these products. If you guys in the know had to choose between OME and Ironman which way would dice roll.

Defiantly OME !!

Ironman was so uncomfortable and hard that I gave it away when I changed to OME, never again!

I have had OME in 4 vehicles now and to me it is the best on the market.

I have not tried the local brands, drove a Hilux with Tough Dog in once and it was all over the road, I didn't like it.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Beelec 1 View Post
    Thanks for all advice. Have listened, full upgrade, so now I got to decide which upgrade. I really do not have any experience with any of these products. If you guys in the know had to choose between OME and Ironman which way would dice roll.
    I have put in Old Man Emu suspensions into my 1983 60 series Landcruiser (leaf springs) and in my FJ Cruiser (coil springs). For the 60 series I chose the medium and for the FJ the light weight rating. It is important that you choose the right setup for your vehicle. If you mostly drive around empty or with just a light load, then the choose the light (addtional) weight option.
    If you have got some accessories, such as steel front or rear bumpers fitted or tend to carry a constant load, the medium setup should work.
    For a heavily customized or dedicated camper the heavy option would be good.
    Don't get confused, the rating is not about durability, it's just a rating to be chosen according to your vehicle's constant weight in order to optimize your ride comfort.
    Even if you choose the light option and load the Hilux twice a year for family holidays, you will still be able to do it.

Point is that sometimes suppliers still have a medium or heavy suspension in stock, don't tell you about the different options and fit what they got to your vehicle. That's when people start complaining that this or that aftermarket suspension is bad because the ride becomes harsh.

Personally I would fit OME anytime again.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Have a look at the Pedders Suspension. They do a comfort ride that also lifts the vehicle. The difference is amazing. www.pedders.com.au

They have a dealers in the Cape.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2020/01/21 at 10:21 AM.
    Gavin